Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm mad as hell...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Man windowdelux's story takes the cake. Thats some cold sh-t right there, taking your beer? Im with GSD and i have a very wolf looking German Shepherd hanging around. She is weird with strangers until i tell her the "magic" word.

Hey Lsqaure i like the stereo and im totally sold. Send me the info where you found it so i can pick one up too. I can see the tweakmonsters trying to sell a 70's looking casette player at a pawn shop. Bwuahaha.

Pawn broker, "I'll give you 5 bucks to get out of my store."
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people gluing pieces of razor blades to the back of the stereo. So when the thieves try to steal it, they end up with bloody hands! And even if they get away, you have a DNA sample for the authorities to use in their prosecution...
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I forgot to add in my first 65 chevy we used to add an aftermarket stock tissue dispenser. A standard Cd player fit in them perfectly with room for sock absorbant material. Not sure if your familiar with them or if they make them for VW's. I don't think they would go good but you could always mount an under the dash first aid kit. The first aid kit that came in my 181 was in German but it is the same dimensions. It is also mounted under the dash and has a convenient flap for opening. Just another suggestion.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Im starting to like Woreign
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skorzeny,

Could you post a photo of your first aid kit? I'm interested in how it is mounted. I have my kit sitting in the right rear door pocket, with a strap holding it in place (I used the two holes above and below the pocket opening to attach the snaps on the strap).
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Speaking of tweakers. I was on vacation in ca and Im betting my tweaker cousin took my digital cam. I'll have to watch him next time. Funny story: My tweaker cousin is missing every other tooth on the top and bottom of his mouth. We ran out of beer one day and my other cousin tells him, "Hey pumpkin head go to the store and get us some beer dam it!" I thought it was pretty funny.

Anyways so I don't have a cam right now but the first aid kit is mounted just under the glove box area. It has some kind strap mounting it underneath the dash. Looks pretty simple and im sure it would support a small radio. I'll get a pic up whenever i get a chance to pick up a cam.
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two vehicles broken into, and my own car almost ran me over when it was being stolen... I appreciate your situation.

There should be room in the glove box to install your radio. Also, I just had an alarm installed.... however, I am still going back to get things fixed because apparently "our wiring on Things" is screwy.

I like the idea of a cheap radio and an iPod setup.

Good luck to you.
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried to install my new radio yesterday... No luck. I have a golvebox door and the radio is too deep to allow the door to close. For one thing the way the antenna cable plugs in it needs about an inch of clearance... But even without the antenna plugged in the door won't close. I really hate to put it back under the dash since it will once again be visable...I'll go back out today and figure something out. Question
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowsquare wrote:
Well I tried to install my new radio yesterday... No luck. I have a golvebox door and the radio is too deep to allow the door to close. For one thing the way the antenna cable plugs in it needs about an inch of clearance... But even without the antenna plugged in the door won't close. I really hate to put it back under the dash since it will once again be visable...I'll go back out today and figure something out. Question

lowsquare...I remember my dad having a CB on a slide mount that he used in his van back in the 70's...it worked well for easy removal and was mounted under the dash in a similar position to a stock 'Thing' radio. As I recall it had two brackets, one mounted to the back of the radio and was wired to the radio...the other mounted to the vehicle and when you slid the radio into the vehicle bracket, it had contacts that mated up in the back of the brackets to make everything come to life...I believe these are still made and can probably be had at an electronics store...probably one of the 'mom & pop' variety...Good Luck Smile
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsquare...

Note that there is a shaft coming out of the back of the radio.

I drilled a small hole into the firewall, threaded the shaft through, then put lock bolts (one already on as it was going in on the inside).

I cinched it down tight with lock washers.

Result? The radio goes in farther and it's "locked" into place.

Hope that helps!

bmwloco
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco What did you do about the antenna cable? It sticks out at least an inch as well. I've measured this thing a dozen times, even took the post off (didn't want to drill a hole unnecessarily). Glovebox door still won't close... the knobs are hitting. It looks like yours sits back deeper than what I have. I'll keep trying...
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go to circuit city and buy the undr the dash kit holder and it should solve most of your problems.. along with a detachable face..

that gets rid of all the wiring issues etc..
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Im curious to see BMW's mounting too. Im going to pick up that radio next month. You could always do the First aid kit pouch under the dash. I do apologize i don't have pics of mine. I'll probably end up putting the radio inside it.
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no matter how I tried it I couldn't get it in there and have the door close. I drove over to The Thing Shop this afternoon (being so close really sucks Laughing ) and picked up their under dash radio mount. I'm just going to put it back under the dash and hope the tweakers will leave me alone. BTW I went to Walmart to see if they had an under dash mount kit and saw the exact same radio I (and bmwloco) bought from Amazon. Different name on the case...but the exact same AM /FM cassett w/ aux. plug. $35... I bought the one on amazon for $32 and it was here in 2 days. Will click some pics...
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up trying to fit the radio in the glovebox. I purchased the under dash kit from TTS. Went in easy, replaced heater hose, rewired everything...sounds are good...I just think it's still right out there for someone else to try and rip me off. Still looking for a hungry pit-bull to park in the front seat. Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar underdash mount with a removable face stereo. When I remove the face, it just looks like a black box - at a casual glance, it doesn't seem like a stereo.

I put a couple of strips of plumbers straps (those metal bands with holes) between the radio and the box so that if the box were broken, the radio would stay in place.

I installed my radio into the mount before mounting it all to the car, so I added a few screws to it so it wouldn't be able to slide out.

I went down to Home Depot and bought a bunch of odd-sized bolts - 4 different ones I think. So, to remove the stereo you'll need 4 different allen wrenches, get into the glove box, get into the boot and you'll need a friend to help with the single one-way bolt in the back.

It doesn't seem as if anyone has tried to take it out, but I'm not sure if anyone has looked at trying. It's been that way for a few years now. I had the car in Oakland for a long time with no top - no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian what are the black pieces on the inside of your fenders? I see one on each side, are they air vents?
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick plate covers. TTS sells them...
http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181863709S
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back when i had my things i had an under dash box similar to yours , but mine had a steel cover that would flip up and cover the radio , with a loop for a pad lock . and lucky for me i was so poor at the time my thing was sporting home made windows , the whole thing looked like crap , never had a problem with anyone going into it . tho the other day someone went into my sonoma and removed the radio face plate , set it on my roof and left . i went outside and saw the face plate on the roof and was like wtf ? guess i gotta start locking my doors .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice install. Tidy.

Happily I live in a pretty benign setting. My Thing sits behind the dealership during the day, and tucked into the garage at night.

As for my antennae mounting... I have it snaked in through the front. No, it's not pretty, and it's pretty half-ass. I intend to clean it up sooner or later.

Right after I properly mount the driver's side speaker that keeps falling off into the floor. The passenger side is locked in nice with Velcro, but the drivers side spends most of the time under the seat.

Now that the Benz is gone, I have more time to fiddle with my Thing Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: