Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wont idle at stops and sluggish ride
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivas240sx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: wont idle at stops and sluggish ride Reply with quote

Hello every one its been a while since I've posted something.

I'm having problems with my 64 beetle idling at stops and also when driving even tho I keep the gas peddal steady the car seems to speed up and slow down, speed up and slow down at constant speeds with out me moving the accelerator almost like it accelerates on its own for just a split second. When I'm at a stop sign the car will die unless I press the brakes and the accelerator at the same time to keep it high idle. I have messed with the carburator/ timing and no results. If I mess with the carburator it just high idles and I'mean really high and the timing seems to be just right.

I've had this problem for a long time just now really wanting to take care of it. Also the engine is a new 1600cc with a solex 34 pic carburator.

I've looked at the fuel filter its clean and stays about half way filled all the time. Other than that I don't know where else to look.

Thanks in advanced,
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem and it was because I had a vacuum leak. This is not uncommon. It causes the fuel/air mixture to be out of balance.

Make sure that all the bolts are tightened on your intake manifold and on the carburator. Also make sure that the gaskets on your carburator, especially the one between the carburator and the intake manifold, arn't screwed up, causing a vacuum leak. Finally make sure that all vacuum ports on your carb. are capped off if they don't have hoses running to them.

One common problem if you have an older German solex 34 carb. is for the throddle shaft bushings to be worn out. Vacuum leaks can occur here. If this is the problem, It might be impossible to adjust your carb. to an ideal idle speed.
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy way to check is have it idle and then spray around the carb with carb cleaner also those intake gasket areas etc.

if the rpms change when you spray you have a leak Smile
colorider181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 34 pict solex, it was the throttle shaft. I used starting fluid to check for leaks around the throttle shaft and sure enough it would respond to the spray by increasing the rpms. I just got a new (old german made solex that was rebuilt/throttle shaft rebushed) for 75 bucks on ebay. Got it today will install it and test tomorrow.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have these Oe completely rebuilt 34 pict 3 carb that are like new. The throttle shaft ahs been rebushed asn every part is new. Not some Pierburg or Bocar crap...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rivas240sx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miscreantgnomie wrote:
easy way to check is have it idle and then spray around the carb with carb cleaner also those intake gasket areas etc.

if the rpms change when you spray you have a leak Smile

The carb/engine are brand new and I've had this problem since day 1. I will try spraying carb cleaner around the manifold. What is that going to do? should I do this when the car is running and hot? is this not dangerous? how much should I spray and what should I espect from it?

Thanks,
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is that if there's some small vacuum leak, the spray will get sucked into it and plug it for a moment causing the engine to run properly. Yes, you must do this while the engine is running. Yes, it may be dangerous - keep a fire extinguisher handy.

New carb and engine may mean a bad carb, or maybe some gasket missing somewhere. It may also be something not tightened down enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take it to a shop they can test it with a smoke machine.
http://www.aatecusa.com/smokemachine/index.htm
They show any leak you have in carb intake or vacuum lines.

Self test writeup, including blip test.
http://www.vw-resource.com/air_inleakage.html
I use unlit propane torch my theory is a spark will just light the tourch Rolling Eyes
The engine speeds up it's got more fuel to it to match the excess air not metered by the carb.

Richard / Madison Wisconsin, will not bush your carb @ the moment if your interested in this. I contacted a couple months ago to do some bus carbs. If someone knows different can the please post this.

kubelmann do you have an on-line store?
Do you take credit cards?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take credit cards if they are paid through paypal. No online store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: