Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still Smokin...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Still Smokin... Reply with quote

Has anyone else had a problem with exhaust fumes in their 181? I have noticed that i am breathing in fumes while im driving it. The exhaust is new but its the standard beetle exhaust with the little chrome pipe extensions.

Anyone else?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you're not smelling gas vapor from the trunk? Since you have a 70 Thing without the heat exchangers, I don't know how fumes would make it into your cabin... I do know that exhaust from the heater will blow into the cabin if your windows are too drafty.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

Its not when the top is up. Its when the windows are off and the top is down. Im wondering if its the type of exhaust with the tip extensions. I don't get it. I have smelled gas when i turn but the smell is definitely from the exhaust.
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had a noticeable smell of exhaust fumes in my cabin, and it doesn't matter whether the top is up or down. Even after short trips with the top down my clothes will reek of exhaust smell. At least I haven't gotten a headache lately.

I know this isn't a faulty exhaust issue. Every component of my exhaust system (and engine for that matter) is brand new.

I'm thinking that the exhaust exits the pipes and then gets caught in the dead spot behind the vehicle as it travels. It then blows up and back going into the cabin area. The same thing happens in my 4Runner with the back window down.

I've got an aftermarket Thing exhaust. I added pipe extensions that direct the fumes out and down. They look cool, but they haven't seemed to make a difference. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very serious concern. I try to avoid long trips with the top up, and have been putting up with the smell when I drive with the top down. Not good.
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having the same problem. what exhaust are you running? it looks like the trimill.. am i right??

i knew i wasnt the only one.. any ideas.. anyone?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no chance of carbon monoxide poisoning with the top down.

Perhaps your car is running rich?

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I don't know about that. I had a 74 chevy for a couple years that messsed up my lungs from driving it with an exhaust leak. It was a slight leak but after long trips your eyes would hurt and eventually you'll developing a nasty cough that takes a while to clear. I've notice it in the 181 lately now that the weather is colder.

My friend had a 60's mustang with the same problem. He had to sell it and ended up having to see the doc because his cough was so bad.
This is definitely not something to take lightly.

Im guessing the military life expentancy for german troops wasn't long enough for them to develop any type of respiratory issues.

There has to be a spot in the back of the car where the fumes are getting caught and circulating. Does anyone have a wind tunnel we can borrow???
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Oh yeah and the carb isn't running rich at all. It passed emission so clean you would have believed it and in az. I also thinned it out just a little and it has stayed that way since.

very strange but i'll have to borrow my friends garage to build a wind tunnel or something.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a smoke test work?
The kind auto shops use to check for leaky intake suff.
Just an idea, I can't remember how much, (if any), smoke makes it out the exhaust.

How about having a friend dumping a little storage oil down the carb when its reved up and yo watch from under. This will make it smoke like a banchee and you might see something leak out a gasket or something.

http://www.aatecusa.com/smokemachine/index.htm
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no chance of carbon monoxide poisoning with the top down.

Not true.

Several years ago I went on a long drive from Cape Cod to Northwestern CT (over 200 miles) in a Ford Galaxie 500 convertible. The the top was down the whole way. By the end of the trip my clothes reeked of exhaust fumes, I was dizzy, felt sick to my stomach and had a splitting headache.

It doesn't matter if the Ford had an exhaust leak, or if the fumes were being pulled up and back into the cockpit from behind. What does matter is that I experienced symptoms of moderate carbon monoxide poisoning.

I have experienced the same symptoms to a much lesser degree in my Thing (with the top up and down). Note that I haven't driven my Thing over 100 miles in any single trip.

I don't know how to rectify the problem, but I do know that it is no joke. They don't call carbon monoxide "the silent killer" for nothing.
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your worried about CO in the cabin, you could always get one of those CO detectors and place it in the cabin. Convertables by nature draw air from the rear (of the car). Because the windshield causes a low pressure just about where you set. This is very noticeable by the older two seater convertables. The newer cars put a draft shield right behind the front seats.

X
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xeno wrote:
If your worried about CO in the cabin, you could always get one of those CO detectors and place it in the cabin.

If you're smelling exhaust, then the CO detector will likely go off. They're very sensitive and can detect CO long before you can smell the smoke. I had one in my house, but it kept going off during backyard BBQ's, when the neighbors would have a fire in the fireplace, when we'd light a candle, etc. quite irritating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xeno wrote:
If your worried about CO in the cabin, you could always get one of those CO detectors and place it in the cabin. Convertables by nature draw air from the rear (of the car). Because the windshield causes a low pressure just about where you set. This is very noticeable by the older two seater convertables. The newer cars put a draft shield right behind the front seats.

X

Thats something to think about. I do see those a lot in certain convertibles. It might be possible to incorporate some type of draft shield into a roll bar for the 181. I'll definitely be looking into it.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Check out this article. Not good. My friend told me he ended up puking blood after a while but he drove his gas chamber mustang on very long trips out of state occasionally.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_5_227/ai_97174312
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed any problems driving my Thing (other than from the heater exhaust). I've driven a few 200+ mile round trips with the top up and down with no ill effects. Very odd that some have the problem and other don't. I hope I'm not slowly poisoning myself and not knowing... Shocked
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Your eyes will hurt along with a headache. Its not good at all. You will feel strangely ill.

Do you have a roll cage and what type of top do you have. May a bikin top would help.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I still find it hard to believe that one can get carbon monoxide poisoning in open air, but I guess it happens. Weird.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Yeah its not cool at all. You would think if you are going fast enough it wouldn't matter. I think it somehow circulates the air back in and keeps in within the compartment. I dont know how it would do it with the top up but it does happen with the top down to me. Im thinking of incoporating a draft shield with a roll bar. Not sure i have to look into it. I still drive it anyways but my plans for driving it up north over 100 miles will have to wait. Dam it.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Can anyone help with finding articles regarding convertibles and, or exhaust fume issues. Im trying to see what i can come up with. There have to be options for how to divert air flow. I've been curious as to those small screen behind the seats in some luxury sports cars.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible fix might be to change the exhaust so that it exits to one corner, like the Type III and Bus. IIRC, the Bus had similar issues -- the area of low pressure behind the body caused exhaust fumes to enter through the rear window if it was open. When the exhaust exits to one corner of the body, it stands a better chance of being "blown away" by road draft.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: