Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

This thread got me thinking:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213664

If you haven't read it, user "elstrom" has a "Landmark Conversion" Bus which is quite unique and interesting if you ask me. It's sort a Bus made up like a typical American conversion van with a white and blue-striped paint job, padded headliner and doors, rear-mounted swing-style spare tire mount and even shag carpeting! (Thankfully, the shag carpeting is gone in elstrom's.)

Of course, some in the thread had to let it be known they would never buy such an abomination. "If you wanted a POS American conversion van, go buy one," as one person put it.

Reminds me a lot of the "fat chick" attitude. Any AC VW that's got bigger turn signals, square bumpers and flatter hub caps can fall into the "fat chick" category (for those who may be new to these forums or just never knew).

I wonder, though: are these two attitudes unique to (how shall I say this delicately?) ... ahem ... older AC VW fans? Cool If you were born about the same time "fat chicks" first rolled off the assembly line (like me), then it seems to me you really don't care as much what the tail lights or bumpers look like.

Speaking only for myself, I can appreciate any AC VW that's in good shape regardless of those picky details. Not to over-simplify, but a '74 Ghia still looks way better than the '75 Scirocco that replaced it! In the same way, I can also appreciate the uniqueness of a Landmark Conversion VW Bus. I actually think it's historically significant that VW tried to copy the efforts of American conversion vans.

I'm just sayin' ... Cool
http://druckenghia.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add except, if post '67 are considered "Fatchicks" does that mean '67 and older are "anorexic" chicks. Thats just sick. I like 'em all, some better than others.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody loves a fat chick!!!

Other people are just jelous!!!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Baywindow will be called a "fat chick" by the people that are into the 67 and older VWs. It will never change. As for me I'd take any old ACVW anyday no matter what model. They are all cool in my book. Cool

Geno Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Monkeyknuckles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmag69 wrote:
Any Baywindow will be called a "fat chick" by the people that are into the 67 and older VWs. It will never change. As for me I'd take any old ACVW anyday no matter what model. They are all cool in my book. Cool

Geno Very Happy

Whatever you do- Don't call a 67 and under Split Window a "Shitty Splitty."
They don't like that... Wink
4Doora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeyknuckles wrote:
gmag69 wrote:

Geno Very Happy

Whatever you do- Don't call a 67 and under Split Window a "Shitty Splitty."
They don't like that... Wink

But what if it's actually shitty? Laughing

I'm with Gmag, i like any air cooled vw
Sure, i wouldn't mind having an older one, but dissing later VWs is so played out
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i roll a fat chick. anyone has a problem with that can kiss my.........
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

Deleted.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

Anyone I hear use a term like that I automatically assume they are a moron and not worth my time.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

Well. This is an oldie
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The term fatchick was an unfortunate term I was taught from day one back in the late 80's about "other" newer VWs. As we all know describing the crossover from the late 60's to the 70's combining all those late VWs.

I think its pretty much gone now a days. I havnt called a late T3 a fat chick in years and meant it. The bay window forum is the biggest most active space on the site. So like retarded and midget, its past date for sure.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

I put 20 miles on the baywindow 7 days a week for the past 11 years. Yes it's a fat chick.

Are splitties 'cooler' and will they always be more desirable? Yes
Are baywindows righteously cool in their own right? Yes

It's just the reality of it. So yeah people burn on them a bit.

I wouldn't mind if people called it a 'dirty whore' or whatever they came up with. I still enjoy it. Worrying about the title takes away from the experience IMHO
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Well. This is an oldie
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think its pretty much gone now a days. I havnt called a late T3 a fat chick in years and meant it. The bay window forum is the biggest most active space on the site. So like retarded and midget, its past date for sure.

Exactamundo. It's smart to excise words that are disrespectful of the majority of the population, no matter what the intent.

I have a client in UK with a bunch of old guys who still use n* brown. In 2016.

Rolling Eyes
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
notchboy wrote:
So like retarded and midget, its past date for sure.

Exactamundo. It's smart to excise words that are disrespectful of the majority of the population, no matter what the intent.

I have a client in UK with a bunch of old guys who still use n* brown. In 2016.

:roll:

I own two Midgets, and they run better with the timing retarded.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

Laughing

The obvious reason they call them phatchicks hit me one day when walking out of the bowling alley I found a Stuper Beetle right next to my Dormy! The bug looked "YUGE"!!! Shocked
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually think it's historically significant that VW tried to copy the efforts of American conversion vans.

I realize the original post is nine years old, but what?!?!? Confused
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

Laughing So you’ve enslaved two height disadvantaged individuals who perform better due to cognitive impairment?

Shame on you! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Yesterday's "Fat Chick" is today's ... ? Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
my59 wrote:

Laughing So you’ve enslaved two height disadvantaged individuals who perform better due to cognitive impairment?

Shame on you! Laughing

Ha! You sir, are on point! I literally laughed out loud.
Good one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: