Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1 more exhaust/muffler question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
natnmike58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: 1 more exhaust/muffler question Reply with quote

I have read most of the threads in the forum relating to exhaust for my 73 Thing. I run a 2054 cc engine. My intent is to buy either the dual exhaust from the "Thing Shop" or the merged header and exhaust from "S&S". I am leaning toward the S&S because of the valve adjustment problems so many have mentioned. That said, I may be willing to remove the exhaust to adjust the valves if needed be. The other concern is heat from the muffler so close to the valve cover. Rust may not be a problem in Arizona, but heat certainly is.
My question concerns noise reduction. Has anyone had experience with both of these systems? Which one does the best job of noise reduction? I realize that the type 181 is only going to be quieter, but hardly quiet. The S&S appears to be a smaller {possibly glass pack} muffler, but with better positioning. The "Thing Shop" setup appears to have a better muffler inconveniently located. Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not impossible to adjust the valves behind a dual header, but I'd lean toward the merged header for performance reasons.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but how about the OE 73 exhaust that I have that is looking for a home? It is a mixed bag set up available. As a complete unit it is a bargain. Part by part it can solve missing part issues for a Thing pal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Yeah but how about the OE 73 exhaust that I have that is looking for a home? It is a mixed bag set up available. As a complete unit it is a bargain. Part by part it can solve missing part issues for a Thing pal.

I always welcome strays.. Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
How can I help?

I have a '73 and will be needing an exhaust. If you want to PM me a few pics and price that would be cool.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
natnmike58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I appreciate the imput from those with more experience than myself. Any thoughts on the noise reduction issue? I am sure this has been asked before.
I just put 225/70r14 Firestione " Destination AT" tires on my Thing, and all I can say is if they will fit your car, consider them. The change from BFG 27x8.5r14 was remarkable. Much quieter, smother and better handling. The tread may not be aggressive enough for some, but seems more than adequate for what I do. Just over $100.00 each installed at Tire Pros. First time I have used this dealer and I was very pleased. They were happy to use my adapter plate to balance the tires. Just a thought. I would consider this tire for my Type 2 as well. I currently use Dunlap Radial Rover's on the bus. Its a camper, and does see its share of Arizona back roads, tho not enough!
Thanks again,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

225's aren't too wide for the stock rim? I thought you couldn't go much past 200?
natnmike58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: 225/70r14 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/388622.jpg

Here is a link to a picture I posted of the new tires. They seem to fit fine, but I have only driven them for a short time.
Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: