Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a 49 Split
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Buying a 49 Split Reply with quote

I'm looking a buy a 49 Split. Are there any 49 only items I should look for and how can I tell if the fenders, aprons, are original. What other things should I look at when buying a split?

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone could help me with this post that would be great.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question is a little broad and not easily answered in a single post. Many here, like myself, love to help but when we see questions that will require paragraphs of text, it is a little overwhelming and we pass it up.

There are many aspects to ascertaining what to look for in a split. As for '49 only items, I think it may be month dependent, but I am no expert. Deluxes came out in the letter part of that year.

Rear fenders should have the dot-dash pressings on the flanges, and the front apron should be 4 finger, with the "punched out" tabs in the wheel well to hold the headlight wiring, not welded on tabs.

Rear apron should be an H apron with no tailpipe cutouts.

Front fenders should have the bulge where they meet the running board, circular horn grills (if deluxe). There are other details on split front fenders I can't recall at the moment, search this forum ...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, Thanks for the information. I'm a long time 67 purest and I have like a check list of things I look for on 67's. I understand what you are saying about the changing every month. I'm just trying to get a list of things I can check to tell what is right and wrong, which is going to effect the amount of money needed to get it back to original configuration.

It does seem like there are all sorts of changes that took place during production that is for sure.

Thanks,

Richard

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a chassi number of the car you are interested in?? then it would bee a lot easier to tell what it should or not should have. -49 is the year when most changes was.
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy a 49 once, then I woke up. When it comes to splits ol' Henry knows his stuff. Wink
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things that are shared with later splits (especially the standard splits), but pretty much all 49's (deluxe or standard) have these items.

Probably the biggest and most difficult things to find are taillights (thin versus thick rings), Left/Right semaphores, mushroom airfilter, Rearview mirror (early ones have a "football" mirror), shocks (single action lever shocks), cable brakes (the parts for them),

There are several other subtle details that those of us that own one would notice:

Front fenders have a deper headlight bucket and wider head-on profile because of it.

Rear fender pressings on the trailing edge are different than later oval ones (althought this could be a split versus oval thing).

Bumper guards

And of course, the VIN Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a world of difference between Pre-July '49 cars and Post-July '49 cars. Let us know the chassis number and then perhaps all of us (including Henry) can comment further.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Your question is a little broad and not easily answered in a single post. Many here, like myself, love to help but when we see questions that will require paragraphs of text, it is a little overwhelming and we pass it up.
That's right. It's too general a question without a chassis number. Like other production years including '67, the VW was changed from month to month, and an early '49 is a different beast compared to a late '49. Major modifications included floorpans, decklid, bumpers and the dash.

Heinz Nordhoff
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichOakley wrote:
There is a world of difference between Pre-July '49 cars and Post-July '49 cars.

You can say that again!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
356king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 49 Split Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
I'm looking a buy a 49 Split. Are there any 49 only items I should look for and how can I tell if the fenders, aprons, are original. What other things should I look at when buying a split?

it would be a big help, if you would post a few pics, i have owned a few splits over the years, including a couple `49`s and 1 was a july deluxe model.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: