Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera campers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empicollector wrote:
arthurnugen wrote:

I would think they would all have the US import code for Seattle, but I'm not sure. Since this kits were made in Oregon that would make sense. I'm pretty sure my Riv has a US code, but it's been awhile since I checked the m-plate.

They were built on Buses that were already delivered to the US--most have a Portland UP or Seattle US entry code but could have a different entry code--Mine entered at San Francisco UF--Built in Vancouver WA--and sold at Carter VW in Seattle

d'oh! Of course, Portland! Now I really need to check my m-plate. Smile

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, Checked my m-plate and my destination code is US. It was manufactured April 23, 1965.

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Riviera for about 12 years and did some research back in the mid-90s:
Riviera Motors Inc was the distributor for Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Idaho. So they had control of all vehicles distributed in these States.
During the Mid 60s the factory Westy`s were very popular in the Western States and the Dealers could sell all they could get their hands on. As a
Distributor Riviera was required to buy and sell all models of VW buses not just Westy Campers, so Knute Quale, the owner, contacted ASI Inc
to make the conversion. They were a small mom and pop operation with a lot of flexibilty and used off the shelf RV/Mobilhome Products to convert the Buses.
In 1954 Wade Carter went to work for Riviera Motors, in Oregon, while attending College--Graduating in 56---and Knute helped him establish
his own Dealership in Seattle in 1960. So as Friends and Associates there were a lot of Buses imported to Seattle and then sent to ASI in Vancouver for the conversion. Most of the conversions were panels, but the conversions could be done on any Bus. On occasion they were done on Window Buses.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knute Quale...what a great name! Very Happy Yeah, this sounds much like the information I've heard over the years on Rivieras. Except, I didn't realise RM handled distribution all the way up to Alaska. I suppose someone had to, I just didn't think it'd be a dealership in the Portland area.

So this makes me wonder...my bus was delivered into the port at Baltimore, MD but was converted to a Riviera camper. I can't figure out if the original owner bought the panel and then almost immediately headed west and had it converted...or was there something within VWoA that said "Okay, this dealership needs more panels, so we're gonna pack some on a truck and drive them across the country."

I wish I knew....

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhitewallsJohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Knute Quale...what a great name! Very Happy Yeah, this sounds much like the information I've heard over the years on Rivieras. Except, I didn't realise RM handled distribution all the way up to Alaska. I suppose someone had to, I just didn't think it'd be a dealership in the Portland area.

So this makes me wonder...my bus was delivered into the port at Baltimore, MD but was converted to a Riviera camper. I can't figure out if the original owner bought the panel and then almost immediately headed west and had it converted...or was there something within VWoA that said "Okay, this dealership needs more panels, so we're gonna pack some on a truck and drive them across the country."

I wish I knew....

Yeah, if my name were Knute Quale, id probably be very rich and successful...but i dont think a "Knute Quale" would ever drive a crusty old bus Smile

As a kid i recall my dad ordering a new chevy truck but he wanted the SWB, 4WD, red interior and the typical two tone color configuration to be reversed. The dealership found found ONE in the whole US network and had it shipped in. Im not sure how the other dealership was compensated, trade, new stock from GM, money?

Ive read where the demand for VWs was so high in the 60s and 70s that buyers were placed on a list and they didnt even get to to chose the color of the car! I wonder if dealerships elsewhere who had camper buyers but were unable to get westies could trade stock with Riviera?

In other words maybe they traded Riviera another panel plus cash for an equipped camper?

We know the destination codes for the busses but do we know of any sold through dealerships out east?

Kermit, the highroof westy:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318687&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
Weird, Checked my m-plate and my destination code is US. It was manufactured April 23, 1965.

US means United States Seattle...

My code is the same. I have a 66 pearl white Riviera. Red back, grey front, I have stripped the wood and cleaned and insulated the whole thing. I love camping in it.
Cheers
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
A stop in Portland to see Martin DDB

Leaving for Burning Man this year. A bit loaded.
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
I didn't realise RM handled distribution all the way up to Alaska. I suppose someone had to, I just didn't think it'd be a dealership in the Portland area.

Originally Riviera Motors was located in downtown Portland--and they set up the Distribution Center in Beaverton Or---Later on the moved their dealership to Beaverton,but not the same site as the Distribution Center
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone cares, here's a look at the Portland location now where Rivera Motors used to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie, cool bit of history! Annie, great pics! I don't remember from seeing your bus this summer, but does it have the long side window on the driver's side?

So it looks like the change from swing out cargo door windows to slider cargo door windows happened sometime in '66? Does anyone know when they started using wood vs the paneling cdennisg and I have in our '65s? Seems like natural wood would be more expensive and labor intensive (sanding, staining, etc.).

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was necessarily a change. Though that's an interesting theory if you can prove it. They actually starting doing the conversion, period, in '65 as I understand it. So if we can find as many '65 Rivieras as possible and check their windows, you might be onto something.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Riviera pics I found in the gallery:

This one's a '66:

'65 Kombi based- Riviera:

'66:

'67:

'66:

Interesting '65:

Cool '65:

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about the 65 with the pop top says not-Riviera to me. What I can see of the interior is all wrong. Sure, picture window, but all those windows were made by HEHR and it could just be a hack job.

Okay, so here's my challenge...anyone, find me a confirmed 65 Riviera with a picture window. I think we might be onto something with this whole crank vs. slider window thing!

arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Something about the 65 with the pop top says not-Riviera to me. What I can see of the interior is all wrong. Sure, picture window, but all those windows were made by HEHR and it could just be a hack job.

Okay, so here's my challenge...anyone, find me a confirmed 65 Riviera with a picture window. I think we might be onto something with this whole crank vs. slider window thing!

Beat me to it! Smile Also, a confirmed '65 with wood vs. paneling.

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 65 Riviera:

Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last pic of the old gentleman with his Riviera is one of my favorite pics of all time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empicollector wrote:
I have had my Riviera for about 12 years and did some research back in the mid-90s:
Riviera Motors Inc was the distributor for Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Idaho. So they had control of all vehicles distributed in these States.
During the Mid 60s the factory Westy`s were very popular in the Western States and the Dealers could sell all they could get their hands on. As a
Distributor Riviera was required to buy and sell all models of VW buses not just Westy Campers, so Knute Quale, the owner, contacted ASI Inc
to make the conversion. They were a small mom and pop operation with a lot of flexibilty and used off the shelf RV/Mobilhome Products to convert the Buses.
In 1954 Wade Carter went to work for Riviera Motors, in Oregon, while attending College--Graduating in 56---and Knute helped him establish
his own Dealership in Seattle in 1960. So as Friends and Associates there were a lot of Buses imported to Seattle and then sent to ASI in Vancouver for the conversion. Most of the conversions were panels, but the conversions could be done on any Bus. On occasion they were done on Window Buses.

From what I've heard, in order to get your hands on a westy you had to sell a certain number of commercial vehicles. Riviera figured that since the westys went so fast and they had the commercials on site already...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
Annie, great pics! I don't remember from seeing your bus this summer, but does it have the long side window on the driver's side?

Thank you, Her coming out party was Vintage Weekend, Shorline. Then I took the camper apart and redid the interior. I took her to Burning man and she did great. Now I am building a 1600 DP so I have a bit more power. I will have that in by christmas and then January I will replace the rear wheel wells and battery tray and do some other cosmetic repairs to the nose.
Yes she has the picture window on the drivers side.
Cheers[/img]
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this bus was ordered to become a riviera.

can anyone else spot the special M-option that tells me this?
arthurnugen wrote:
More Riviera pics I found in the gallery:

This one's a '66:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No upper vents, Panel, non walk thru...

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it's visible in the pic and honestly, I haven't the foggiest!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 39

Jump to: