Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera campers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniperx wrote:
I saw one Riviera with J windows somewhere...that's why I asked. I don't know what could be missing really.

Might have been a Kombi that was converted by Riviera. Jalousies pop right into those window openings.
Sdmjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go changin'...the sliders definately rock! Cool

BTW, thanks for the seatbelt talk...finally got them installed this weekend though the middle belts were a bitch to bolt in. cdennisg, that channel idea was looking pretty smart about the time i had my arm blindly jammed up in there trying to get the freakin center bolts tightened...Not much room in there! Next time i'll heed the warning. Wink
{fancy red belts look nice with the Riviera Red vinyl too!}
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Origin of Riviera campers Reply with quote

Hey Rivvy owners, I was doing some research and came across this article from the Portland Oregonian newspaper, March 7, 1965. Ever wondered how the Riviera Camper model came to be? Here's some additional background info. Hope it is helpful!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's cool! Thanks for posting.

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really awesome piece of history there! Score! Riviera owners download this and save it in multiple places. Very Happy

It looks like that's definitely a '65 Riviera because it has the EZ-style window instead of the sliders and picture window.

Too cool!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Sunnydog, thanks for posting it here. It does open up a new question for me though. Most Riviera campers I have seen have a Portland destination code. Could they have that code and still be brought into Seattle?
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
Weird, Checked my m-plate and my destination code is US. It was manufactured April 23, 1965.

From page 3. Smile

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
arthurnugen wrote:
Weird, Checked my m-plate and my destination code is US. It was manufactured April 23, 1965.

From page 3. Smile

I just looked through my Riviera gallery, and not one of them has an M-code pic. I will have to dig to see if I still have any of the info written down the old fashioned way. I could swear that my old 65 was a UP code bus.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, guys, my Riviera was brought into the Baltimore port according to the M-Code plate. Well, it was a panel then, not a camper....

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
put-put...whee!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our '65 Riviera Camper, October 28th, 1964 (5050567), came into Portland and was sold new at Sunset Motors in Beaverton if I remember correctly.

28 O
425 002 013 025
UP
65 Riviera
66 Deluxe
67 SO-42
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Despite Riviera not really keeping much in the way of records on production, I'd venture to say yours is probably one of the earliest.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome article find!
Most Rivieras have UP or US as port codes. Not sure if I've seen others, but definately a lot of US and UP.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a 64 Riv, and it was based on a Kombi rather than a panel. It was from the Tri-cities area of Washington as I recall. It is possible that it was brought to Riviera after it was sold off, and then converted.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, again, mine destination code is UD (Baltimore/Philly) so go fig on that one! Smile

I also owned a '63 Riviera which I can only presume was brought to Riviera after camper production started and converted from a panel.

sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of things to take away from that article, I think. The article is dated March 1965, and it says:

The conversion business is already a $350,000/yr subsidiary business of Riviera Motors importers, which I think means they have been doing it at least a little while.

It's quite possible that in addition to doing new conversions, they also would custom convert whatever an exisiting owner showed up with, so the Baltimore MD import panel could have been kitted out by the owner in later years. That might lead to something interesting like a 1968 Rivvy kit in a 1963 body, whereas all the other 1968 Rivvy kits would be in 1968 bodies.
I don't know enough about Riviera conversions to know if owners groups (Is this it?) have ever tried to identify specific build years by the construction details; cabinet hinges, window types, etc. The word seems to be that no factory production details exist from Riviera or ASI on serial numbers or numbers made.

This article also notes that 75% of the "trucks" (which I expect are panels, not single or double cabs) are converted. There is a $200 savings in chicken tax from conversion work in the free port area. How many Rivvy conversions does it take to add up to $350,00 worth of business per year? I don't have enough cost figures to know how to figure that out.

Finally, this advertisment was already posted somewhere in the Samba archives:

Samba Member "Darwin2" says this is an ad from an Oregon 1960-61 fishing guide.

These things point me to believe the earliest Riviera conversion might be looked for in a 1960 body. Maybe even 1959?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have 1965 as a Riviera Camper start date because that's what I've seen reported historically.

Riviera was selling Westies way before then and demand in outdoorsy Oregon was already high for campers.

Volkswagen said "Sure, we'll send you X westies, but you have to take Y number of trucks, too."

And that's basically how any American-built bus camper came to be. An overstock of panels and a demand for campers.

sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. The ad just says Volkswagen "Camper" and doesen't specify Riviera or Westfalia model. And that tent/awning shown in the line drawing does look like the red/white stripe Westfalia model.

I was going tooo fast.

But I'll still throw out that the earliest Rivvy is going to be at least a 1964 if not maybe even a 1963 model. That 1963 you had, how was the fit and finish of the conversion? Did it look early or late?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked oddball. It had been through a few hands before me and stuff was modified. I wouldn't use it as an example of Riviera correctness.

put-put...whee!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have seen a 64 Riv, and it was based on a Kombi rather than a panel. It was from the Tri-cities area of Washington as I recall. It is possible that it was brought to Riviera after it was sold off, and then converted.

Yep, that's our '65.

65 Riviera
66 Deluxe
67 SO-42
Beladona_13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1737 SW Morrison st, Portland Oregon is where "Rack Attack" is now... I drive past there quite often. I need to take the Riviera over for pics one day!

'66 Riviera Camper Bus
'41 Chevrolet COE 4x4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 39

Jump to: