Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What size/kind of shocks do you recommend for Things?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
superchief
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: What size/kind of shocks do you recommend for Things? Reply with quote

I'm looking to add some new shocks to my '73 Thing. I was confused by some of the options available, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Do I need to be sure to order the front shocks to fit for Ball Joints? What about the back end? Is there a particular size I should look for? If anyone has any experience in this, I'd appreciate some input.

I wont be doing any off-roading with it, just some daily or weekly driving. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- - - I prefer KYB GR2's. They are just a bit firmer than the OE oil shocks. I do not like KYB Gas-A-Just's they are to stiff. However some prefer the original style oil shocks from Boge.
- - - Either way the fitment, front and rear, is the same as a Beetle the same year as your Thing (at least as far as aftermarket shocks go!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

My advice is :
- KYB GR2 for the front (for Bugs, with ball joints, stock length)
- KYB Gas-A-Just for the rear

Regards
P-J M.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuebelwagen84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What size/kind of shocks do you recommend for Things? Reply with quote

superchief wrote:
I'm looking to add some new shocks to my '73 Thing. I was confused by some of the options available, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Do I need to be sure to order the front shocks to fit for Ball Joints? What about the back end? Is there a particular size I should look for? If anyone has any experience in this, I'd appreciate some input.

I wont be doing any off-roading with it, just some daily or weekly driving. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I put the GR-2s on mine (both front and rear, got the ebay special a couple of other guys on here got) and they are good for regular street driving, haven't tried off road driving at all on my 181 yet but from what I've read it'd be better to go with gas-a-justs or bilsteins for offroad use

If you're changing out the original ones to the car make sure you have a can of pb blaster and vice grips (or a torch if it's really bad) ready as it seems the rear spacers are notorious for rusting to the bolts

1600s of air-cooled German muscle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What size/kind of shocks do you recommend for Things? Reply with quote

superchief wrote:

I agree with what everyone has said about the model of shock.

When I bought my shocks, I bought from CIP - which recommended sets of shocks for the Thing. They fit.

I *think* they're the same fit as any ball joint front end.

from CIP:

Fronts:
KYB-343143 - KYB GR-2 GAS SHOCK FRONT STD BEETLE 66-77 GHIA 66-74 & THING 73-74
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fully extended - 20 inches - Fully compressed - 15-1/2 inches.

Rear options:
KYB-343144 - KYB GR-2 GAS SHOCK FRONT BEETLE/GHIA 53-65 - BUS 55-79 - TYPE-3 62-74 - REAR ALL BEETLE/GHIA/TYPE-3 - BUS 52-67

Fully extended - 18 inches - Fully compressed - 11-3/4 inches.

KYB-KG5529 - KYB GAS-A-JUST SHOCK REAR EA - BEETLE 52-79 / GHIA 56-74 / BUS 55-67 / TYPE 3 62-74 / THING 73-74

Note that "Gas-a-just" is just a marketing name - you can't adjust them. They provide a bit of spring that the OE shocks (and the GR-2's) do not - they behave a bit like a strut.

I have GR-2's in the front and rear. They're cheap and perform OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the stock Mexican ones in front (try the Thing Shop), and Boge ones in the rear.

I had the KYB's but they were too stiff for daily driving, but maybe that is because I live in CA and it is pothole heaven.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: