Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the rebuilt speedo a coupla days ago. Installed it today.

All is well. Works great and is quiet.

Have to remember to not reset the odo while moving. Supposed to help.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I had a busy weekend working on Libby...
Here's a before photo when I started the interior revamp a couple of months ago... You'll also notice the newly powder coated tins... i like it!

looking better then it did before!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Pop-Top Shocks Reply with quote

euro911 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

:

Isn't there any rules about posting obscenities? That just looks so nasty!
That's a lot of brake dust.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I had a busy weekend working on Libby... Removed the bench seat kick panel, replaced the speaker hole with a cubby hole door, installed a black LP/Carbon Monoxide detector, a Blue Sea 12v socket and a Blue Sea dual usb socket. Oh yea, since I had the kick plate out I decided to pull out the vinyl flooring and redo it. I did the first version of the vinyl flooring late at night and I wasn't happy with the finished product. =)

That is gorgeous, love the fresh powder coating, really makes a difference! Mine is looking olive-drab too, instead of grey.
Also like the hatch to cover up the sub-woofer hole.
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if those pix scared your kids or something Laughing

Considering that I got all four of these wheels for $240. ($150. + $90. to ship from FL to CA), I'm not minding the cleanup process too much.

I used brake/carb cleaner spray, a scotch-brite pad and paper towels to rid them of the brake dust, a rotating scotch-bright pad on a drill motor to take the crud off of the inner lips where the beads seal, and the same to smooth out any curb-rash. Used a couple different grits of good old sandpaper on the the faces and outer lips.

They don't need to be show quality as they'll see plenty of off-road activity, but I do want them to look somewhat uniform in appearance when I mount them.
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")

Last edited by euro911 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
imagesinthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered new front and rear bumpers...will install when they arrive.
Gonna get a 2" hitch for her as well. Wish I could afford the swing away bike racks, but those are just too out of my budget after an engine rebuild.

Gotta go get some carpet for her as well this weekend. The floor is currently not good.
WPOFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Changed Oil!!! But have a small question for anyone... Reply with quote

Hello, I am WPOFD (short for Wild Pack of family Dogs) I have an 1884 Westfallia Camper I have had for 13 years. Its been sitting and doing nothing. So.. I’m changing the oil in a few hours , maybe tomorrow to see if anyone has an answer for my question... (K&N Oil filter and Brad Penn 20W-50 by the way) What I want to know is, should I use the nice Oil Filter first or use a cheap one? I fear the filter getting all clogged up by gunk and sludge? Would it be too over neurotic to drive it a few days and change out everything agian so the oil filter is not full of sludge later on down the road that could give me a problem? I am sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but I am new to online forums and please remember that before you rip into me. thanks...WPOFD
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discourage ripping into people here. If it's the wrong thread then someone will suggest where. Seeing as you are new in here why don't you start your own thread with your questions, pics, info etc. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed Oil!!! But have a small question for anyone... Reply with quote

WPOFD wrote:
Hello, I am WPOFD (short for Wild Pack of family Dogs) I have an 1884 Westfallia Camper I have had for 13 years. Its been sitting and doing nothing. So.. I’m changing the oil in a few hours , maybe tomorrow to see if anyone has an answer for my question... (K&N Oil filter and Brad Penn 20W-50 by the way) What I want to know is, should I use the nice Oil Filter first or use a cheap one? I fear the filter getting all clogged up by gunk and sludge? Would it be too over neurotic to drive it a few days and change out everything agian so the oil filter is not full of sludge later on down the road that could give me a problem? I am sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but I am new to online forums and please remember that before you rip into me. thanks...WPOFD

Hello WPOFD!
Click on "Forum Index -> Vanagon/Eurovan" at the top of this page. Then click on (New Post) button at top of the page. Give your new post a title that makes sense and is searchable in the future, outline you are new to the forum, and ask your question. Smile
Bonus points for providing a photo of your crusty old van that needs some love and tenderness.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

euro911 wrote:
Sorry if those pix scared your kids or something Laughing

The inner child is traumatized! Laughing
Great job on the wheels!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Changed Oil!!! But have a small question for anyone... Reply with quote

Welcome and don't sweat sludge/gunk too much, oil actually sits just fine.
not that gasoline you've got in there..
CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE...
including the unseen ones up behind the firewall (remove the nylon firewall fitting) over the transmission.. they're often still OEM hose there and the one on the pass side is subjected to high pressure.
then DRAIN ALL OLD gas from the tank, and flush in some new stuff with a new filter.. and possible some Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam fuel treatment.

if your only going to run the initial oil til lit's warm and drain, sure you can use a flaps (friendly local auto parts store) cheap filter.

WPOFD wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to say I am coming to the end of my punch-out list on my 1980 Westy after 3 years...but then I'm an optimist. The front end will need to be rebuilt at some point soon, and new stock shocks, but that's last big job. So, now (unless the original tranny plays out) I am pulling regular maintence and enjoying the drive.
Last week I had to rewire the liscence plate lights...broken wire above the liscence plate door.
And, added the GW trailer light kit to pull my small, HF trailer. This seems like a much better way to bring all the camping stuff along without packing and unpacking the Westy all ther time.
All the best to all..John in GA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New SS coolant pipes - just in time too as the brass fittings were on their last milometer..
New hoses fire wall forward
New temp senders
New thermostat
Bypassed rear heater... will be yanking out later
Pulled radiator sent to shop to be pressure blasted... and tested.. all good no rust but lots of crud
All new coolant.

Job is done... what a mess.... but the feeling is AWESOME!
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some new license plates on (officially ending another winters' hibernation) and went for a joyride!

Camper conversion is almost done - got the cabinets bolted in and plumbing hooked up, just haven't hooked up the power yet.
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bus Lab hooked me up with a Auxillary battery setup.

I installed a 900 watt inverter (powerbright) and LED lighting kit. Heading south in the morning!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
The Bus Lab hooked me up with a Auxillary battery setup.

I installed a 900 watt inverter (powerbright) and LED lighting kit. Heading south in the morning!

Happy Trails!
DontPanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced head.
Sleeve o-rings...... and got the piston rings back into the sleeve without dropping the engine
New oxy sensor
New fuel filter
Cleaned all grounds
Cleaned AFM
Smoked many cigs! Lmao Wink
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's possible to remove the heads with the engine installed? I would like to replace the head gaskets and push rod tube seals in the near future ...
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")
DontPanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya its actually pretty simple. What I've done is.
Remove exhaust>remove thermostat housing and crossover pipe>remove exhaust manifold (just the side I was doing)> then remove head.
MtnVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Welcome to Samba. CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES, 1st priority. Happy travels

Okee dokee:-) fuel lines done! Tinkering & nick nacks yesterday. New pop top seals on, new bumpers & end caps. Took a 30 mile drive to our local slopes. 1st van trip in our new & wonderful van. Next up is installing the GoWesty 1.5 springs, new longer studs/bolts, and wheel spacers. All of which we have already. CL Denver has lots of Audi alloys for us to pick from. Ole' Frodo is coming along nicely:-)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 350 of 629

Jump to: