Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 367, 368, 369 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little job - I did my "spline work" this morning:

No previous problems, but rather suddenly the past few days (week or less) first had become
hard to find; managed by pushing down just a bit & "riding" the reverse lockout to get to first.
(Think like a skateboarder riding on a rail...)

Funny thing - two days ago was rather normal again (300 mile road trip) but yesterday coming
home was the WORST it had ever been. Hmmm... isn't it funny when catastrophic failure
comes and goes...??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Anyway - time for drastic action...

My morning in a nutshell:
- got under there and rotated front rod ONE spline counterclockwise...
- checked shifting in the van - 1st is GOOD! ...but now 2nd is locked out... Exclamation Question Question
- on a whim, checked the lever connection at tranny and found it loose... Embarassed
- snugged it up, with the same result (1st good/2nd locked out)...
- So, I moved the shift rod back to the original position and now it's good as ever... Laughing

I had done my clutch about 18 months ago - I guess it takes that long to make a good job go bad... Rolling Eyes Wink

Another perfect day... Laughing Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Last few days... Reply with quote

Man, it's been a while since I've been able to work on Otto. He's been sitting in the driveway since December 2013 with our new arrival (boy) getting all of my attention.

So, about two weeks ago I made a list, and I've been fortunate enough to be able to spend an hour or two with the van every few days.

1) Fixed busted stereo wiring thanks to some poorly QC'd repair work at a local mechanic shop - reconnected passenger door speaker wiring, replaced the destroyed antenna wiring.
2) Relocated Bluetooth microphone up the A-pillar and mounted it to the headliner just forward of the visor.
3) Replaced GoWesty LED lighting kit for the glovebox - also destroyed by the same local mechanic shop as (1).
4) Mounted Hella Dual-Tone horn setup. Waiting on a updated wiring harness from thatvwbusguy to complete.
5) Removed the last vestiges of the alarm system that a P.O. had installed. Random n.c. relay sitting in the dash on the main ignition wire.
6) Mounted up the Terrawagen terrapods and wired them to a SPDT on-off-on switch: I can have them off, on with parking lights, or on with key-on.

Good to be back on van projects!
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front left tire has a lot of wear on the outside edge and the van pulls to the left. I decided to get creative and adjust the camber by "eyeing it up" with a drywall square. I doubt I got it in spec but I bet it's a lot closer than it was.

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filled my tranny - easy, quick, clean

full post here - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7328905#7328905

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a gggggrrrrrrrrrr. Fuel Pump went today. At least it waited until I got back from my long trip.. It's still a ggggggrrrrrr. Won't be fixed until next week now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: <deleted erroneous comments>

Last edited by dhaavers on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump easy fix. One of the things I keep a back up around just in case.

Early this week:
New transaxle from Rancho, Powerflex trans bushing, repacked CV joints, rebuilt the shifter shaft / linkage at transaxle.
Then got a case of the 'while I am under here syndrome' and installed the stainless steel coolant tubes I bought a few months ago and dropped fuel tank in the process. Bent the fuel level sender arm so it read more correctly than it was reading.
Must not have seated the sender well enough, had a leak upon fill up today down on Cape Cod. Guess I need to drop tank again. Damn!
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mechanic seems to think it involves dropping fuel tank. Does it? Will set him straight Monday am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: <deleted erroneous comments>

Last edited by dhaavers on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT! Thanks guys.
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the Bombay lifters. Yay! now my dear wife can also lift the top.

Had to remove the back Rack rail so I now have little holes in the pop top I need to find pretty plugs for.

I am going to move the rear rack holder forward just in front of the bombay pivot, but maybe not soon. I'm also thinking about finding a third rack to put all the way back to give some options.

Little other stuff in pre-trip prep. I think my fridge may be wonky, but then...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump for a Diesel? my AAZ doesn't have a fuel pump.

back to the topic: installed new radiator baffles today.

DAIZEE wrote:
My mechanic seems to think it involves dropping fuel tank. Does it? Will set him straight Monday am.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmpf wrote:
Fuel pump for a Diesel?
DAIZEE wrote:
My mechanic seems to think it involves dropping fuel tank...

OOOPS - I forgot she's running a diesel... Embarassed

<Previous erroneous comments deleted to prevent confusion & protect the innocent>

- Dave

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
srmpf wrote:
Fuel pump for a Diesel?
DAIZEE wrote:
My mechanic seems to think it involves dropping fuel tank...

OOOPS - I forgot she's running a diesel... Embarassed

<Previous erroneous comments deleted to prevent confusion & protect the innocent>

- Dave

Ditto - forgot she has a diesel. Sorry Daizee.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay guys, I forget that all the time and I think I just bought a used wbx fuel pump!!!!!
carmiendo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Replaced the rearview mirror
    * Put a rubber washer in the passenger side view mirror to hopefully fix that floppy mirror problem!
    * Put little rubber feet on the stove - later we'll see if it stops the rattling coming from back there.. fingers crossed!
    * Deflated the spare tire and squeezed it into the clamshell up front - we're pretty sure it's not bumping into anything but is there anything specific we should check for or look out for?
    * Also figured out how to use the air compressor for if (when) we ever need that spare.
    * Tested out the sink for the first time - the pump works! Also, opened up the water tank for the first time ... apparently we've been carting around a couple gallons of water for a little while! So we ran some of that through the drain and found out that 1) there sure was a lot of crap in that drain and 2) the pipes leading up to the faucet are a little leaky.... So next van work day will probably be about fixing those leaks and figuring out how to make our water reasonably clean (is drinkable totally too much to ask? time to google!)

We're going camping next weekend so we're excited to have tightened up some of the loose ends we've had hanging around!!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flush regular bleach thru reservoir, hoses, faucet, then flush with fresh water and 3rd time fill with fresh water with a few drops of bleach.

Have fun!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
flush regular bleach thru reservoir, hoses, faucet, then flush with fresh water and 3rd time fill with fresh water with a few drops of bleach.

Have fun!

yep, what he said!
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
DAIZEE wrote:

Have fun!

yep, what he said!

I thought I just read DAIZEE is a she.
ecopreneur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced fuel line off the gas tank through fuel pump with the Gowesty upgrade kit that takes the prefilter out before the fuel pump and adds a larger fuel filter (not the square kind that was the prefilter) after the fuel pump. The fuel pump seems to work better and the job was easy.

1984 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 367, 368, 369 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 368 of 631

Jump to: