Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 375, 376, 377 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
put new to me 16 hole Mercedes Benz rims and snow tires on today but have to figure out the rear set up. Will give my mechanic Chris' web site as it's all over my head!

Not too happy right now as have the 15" MB with snows on the front and one 15:" audi wheel on right rear and 14" Vanagon spare on left rear. gggggrrrrrrr

Wow, you may find yourself very unhappy soon.

It's never good to run with different sized rims/tires and even worse driving asymmetric sizes across a differential.

Let us know if your drivetrain survives.
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tencent engine installed, cam break in completed last night, final timing and ring setting in trip tonight. runs very smoothly already. can't wait to drive it. Very Happy Pray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned out the westy, drained the fresh water, disconnected the battery, and put on the new cover. See you next spring old buddy.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alll four tires are the same specs and sizes and all are winter.

New solenoid for glow plugs, someone previously had powered the glow plugs with the starter solenoid. Fixed now and driving beautifully. Can probably drive Scooby for at least one more month regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, no one has done anything with their van in the last week?

I'll add that I used mine to tow a ton of house/yard debris to the dump.
the 1.8T pulls nice and smoothly don't really feel like it's under added load.. just rolls and goes.. not that towing with my van is anything new to me.. just new to me with this power plant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh all right! I replaced my glow plug solenoid! There I said it Laughing Still driving it daily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up a bunch of wiring. Added a Blue Sea fuse panel for the aux battery, rewired the amp/subwoofer, added another 12v outlet.

With this extremely early and all-around nasty weather, I need to go to Home Depot for my removable traction control system, i.e. four 50-lb. bags of playground sand in the back...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mounted the 4 studded tires and replaced the two burnt out license plate light bulbs on the EV
ready for winter now
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I changed the oil on Monday...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested the heater on the way to work...half way there and I'm half way warm....so, I guess it's working within factory specs
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Clutch and Master Cylinder. Hopefully the pedal fade is gone...
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Pulled my engine and transmission a few days ago.

I purchased them from a junkyard in unknown condition last winter. Cleaned the engine up, new seals and rings, installed it in May and put 6500k on it over the summer.

Now that I know they work - at least as spares - it's time to put the one's I know (and trust? Shocked ) a bit more back in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little tidying-up job. I repaired the flasher unit for the front difflock warning light on my syncro.

There is a little printed circuit board on which two components seem to fail - a transistor & a capacitor. I replaced both and now it works as it should.

For more info, go to http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127059&p=8038222#p8038222

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the SA grille I had in garage. Still evaluating if I like the eyebrow panel or not.

Started install of Propex unit last night.

Used Thingamajigger to pull the Cub Scouts float in Veterans Day parade. Our Boy Scouts are walking behind in grand style.

Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed 2 Torque Converter Seals to replace the one that popped on me this week. While there replaced the seal under the Flywheel/flex plate and found the steel seal surface of the flex plate badly grooved so I installed a good used one I had on the shelf. Removed the Syncro Oil filler tube and installed the correct 2wd version. (so hard to put oil in a 2WD with a syncro tube. New breather tower seal, and oil cooler seal. New outer engine mounts. Hammer and Dolly the dented lower rear valance that got damaged in the crash last month that made it nearly impossible to remove my engine as dented. Degreased, simple green, and soap/water to the entire engine bay that was covered with strawberry red DEXTRON from that seal failure. Notes, I sure wish the oil filler tube could be removed for engine removal because it is a bear to slide the engine out of the Transmission without hitting that on the back of the van. Why didn't VW just put a clamp on the plastic part to make life easier for us. I did this entire job SOLO and the installation of the engine alone was a real challenge.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the replacement of my clutch master and slave. I bled the system this morning. It's silky smooth and leak free.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, new here but i'm going to jump right in. Cold here in CO, so did some interior work.

-Pulled out the rear bed/seat of '97 evc/greased up tracks and put a new handle on the front
-Took apart the rear cover for the furnace to reconnect a loose hose and cleaned out the dust/grime underneath from the last owner. Found two small, nearly-empty baggies of what must clearly have been oregano...
-Put in new Pioneer speakers all around. The people before me put up with the OG (from winnebago) blown paper cones. I've kept the tape player for the bus, though. I knew lugging my tape collection around for the last 15 years would pay off.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
I've kept the tape player for the bus, though. I knew lugging my tape collection around for the last 15 years would pay off.

Smile
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- picked up EV from Rick Bass in Commerce City, CO who put new bilsteins and a lift all around. Went from about 4 inches at the propane tank to about 8, sitting on 15s.

- changed thermostat, cranked up heat to 80 and baked in the warmth for about ten minutes. Realized I need to clean the furnace better - smells slightly like burning dust bunnies.

- got a package from gowesty with new shades and thermal window panels (for the weekender, but the front, rear, door and slider window inserts all fit fine), interior cabinetry touchup paint and door latches. Ogled over the newness.

- tracked down/ordered correct dye for getting some of the heat/uv-browned winnebago panels back to gray ('tawny gray' from RightLook.com - thanks to the folks at PopTopHeaven.com for being so kind and generously sharing that key info with me).

'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your picture is confusing. Does it have a bed/seat?
Why not show us a picture of the van and maybe a shot of the inside. I and maybe a few others have not see one up close.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 375, 376, 377 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 376 of 631

Jump to: