Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 378, 379, 380 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
Emergency stop gap of door leak. The last storm we had was the first storm my van has seen since I bought it (had always been garaged). I knew there were minor leaks but holy shit! My van was outside in 20 hours of constant rain... and when I opened the passenger door yesterday... S P L O O S H on the ground a huge volume of water. It had filled up the footwell... Shocked At least I know my door seals are tight Razz

Easy to figure out where the water was coming in, around the speakers the PO installed. So I have simply duct taped all the openings and will now have to make new door panels, which means I will make a new hatch and slider panel too so that they all match (was finished wood), along with water channels above the speaker opening.

You'll probably want to clear out the drains in the bottom of the doors - the water should be leaving via the little slots at the front and the back of the door.

Thanks, will do (raining again the next 3 days)

I do know by looking at things the water was coming in at the bottom of the speaker and draining right into the footwell. The wood door panel was soaked and stained all around the speaker opening.

That means that the door's full of water. In our climate we have to be aware of the drains and keeping them open! Smile

You can slip a thin 6" stainless steel ruler up from the bottom of the door to induce flow but it sounds like you're going to have to get in there an vacuum up some crud...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yoconina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set up nano oil temperature for my west 81

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579892

https://www.facebook.com/campervanstories
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Today.... Reply with quote

Tuned up with new Cat. and muffler, passed Ca. smog! Not too bad for an '92 2.2 subie with over 200K.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally pulled the trigger on a Webasto (gasoline) heater for the van and after many weeks of trying to decide where to put it I opted for placing it right behind the passenger seat.

My reasoning?
Well for one... I wanted the hot air outlet vent to remain completely unobstructed. I normally sleep on the lower bunk and having covers/blankets over hang the bench bed and onto the floor obstructs the airflow of the heater if i had placed it under the bench seat. maybe not enough to make a big deal but I just wanted the air flow to be the best t can be. I also wanted the return ambient air intake at least 2' away from the hot air outlet. I'm not a fan of placing the ambient air intake right next to the hot air outlet. They need to be spaced apart.

I currently have a Thetford Marine Toilet for the lady that we keep where the stock fridge was originally located. That thing takes up a ton of storage space for food and such. This design allows us to house the toilet in this base, when its needed there will be a door on the side where the toilet can be slid out of the cabinet and placed on the floor. easy peasy.

Here's a model of the box in AuoCAD. The second vent on the front is just to let that underneath cabinet area beathe a little. not for air out or air in.

I made the openings in the cabinet to fit the stock Westfalia flat cabinet doors that are used next to the galley. GoWesty still sells these as New Old Stock straight from Westfalia so I ordered two doors and some grey hinges. I found a place locally that sells the grey laminate that GoWesty also sells but I can buy it in large 4'x8' sheets instead of smaller sheets via GoWesty.

Webasto heater installed with a short radius outlent elbow added since the area under the cabinet is very tight.

I found a sign place here in Houston that had a CNC Router and I contacted them to cut out my panels. Since I designed the cabinet in AutoCAD I just sent the shop a DXF file of all of the panels laid flat on a 4'x8' outline. I took a sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood to the shop and a day later my panels were ready to be picked up. sweet! they charged me $40.

Assembly took about a couple of hours. this is a usable mockup. I plan to use this version for a month or two and camp with it and see how I need to change it or tweak it to suite my needs. I already see a few things I want to change and things I need to correct... Final version will get full laminate treatment and edge trimming. I want it to look as stock as possible.

Can't wait to try this out!
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the GoWesty carpet threshold black-metal onto my new carpet install. Pic forthcoming tomorrow in daylight.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished installing my TerraWagon DRL kit that I picked up from GoWesty during the last sale. I also changed to the smoked turn signal lenses. Looks great up there now.

I did find some hacked up wiring where a PO rigged up a funky replacement turn signal bulb socket. I replaced the bulb socket and cleaned up the wiring. I really hate finding things like that.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Westy closet light Reply with quote

oldhuldy67
I bought a pair of these LED light pods from COSTCO last year.. With a little help it slips snugly over the clothes rod and into place without fasteners; has an auto-on motion detector function that turns on when the door opens, auto- off also. Wish I could find he other one..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding some Eurovan love to the forum: Custom pull out drawer from my swapped CV interior and mounted my GoWesty panels to the roof; they just didn't get much use being portable.

pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all the window seals including the wing window in the drivers door. I also replaced the glass. Both of the old pieces were badly scratched.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
yoconina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a original westfalia light in my 87 west

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579892

https://www.facebook.com/campervanstories
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally wired in my new sink pump (which works!), and while I was at it rerouted its fused power to my Blue Sea fusebox (2A fuse), and also rerouted the formerly stand-alone Propex and LP/CO detector fuses into the fusebox too (hooray). I now have inverter, dash/radio/interior, Propex, LP/CO detector, and sink all run off of the aux batteries via fusebox and a Bussmann 100A breaker / cut-off switch.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all four speakers with 4" Pioneers. Not a difficult thing to do, but time consuming. Especially taking all everything to route the new ground wire in the back. I opted to attach two wires to be be one gray ground wire and pull it through. Basically just stripped to metal, folded over back into to themselves while hooked on each other, and twisted with a bit of duct tape to hold it. Lathered that up with hand soap and pulled it through. I hit a few tight spots, but I found by pulling back the other way and then pulling fast to the snag that I could get past them all. Scared the crap out of me as it busted loose at the end, but it was only a half inch from all the way through and I was able to pull it out by tugging on the two remaining wires. Everything else was a piece of cake, though I had to trim about an 1/8th of an inch off the trim in the back (no wood though). Tight fit Smile

The front were much easier other than the fact that my brand new high clearance crank from GoWesty was catching a bit in the passenger side, so I tried to bend it out just a hair and it snapped off. Grrr, I hate these cheap cranks...

What a world of difference though. It's not great audio, but compared to the one working old speaker I had it's friggin' awesome. I even had to turn it down on one song on the freeway! Best update I've done so far. Smile

oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
I finally wired in my new sink pump (which works!), and while I was at it rerouted its fused power to my Blue Sea fusebox (2A fuse), and also rerouted the formerly stand-alone Propex and LP/CO detector fuses into the fusebox too (hooray). I now have inverter, dash/radio/interior, Propex, LP/CO detector, and sink all run off of the aux batteries via fusebox and a Bussmann 100A breaker / cut-off switch.

That's some serious hooray..well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Installed headlight realys Reply with quote

Finally did the headlight relays since last trip out every so often I lost all lights after trying to switch between hi/lo - hopefully the steering column switch will continue to work with the now reduced load.

I put the relays in vacant spots in the fuse block attached with screws. had to use a really short screw in the right slot as there was oem wiring. Wonder what would normally go in that spot?

Also discovered that the wires (and thus the fuses) were swapped in the add-on fuse locations for the defogger and the second battery relay.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Holiday road trip Reply with quote

Just returned from visiting Mom in Sacto. Also did some shooting in the NF East of Placerville. My Cousin owns a company that builds custom AR's.

This was the first trip since recent work: suspension rebuild, alignment, body/paint, and a set of Rheins with BFG AT/TAs, countless other small details.
My tintop Syncro has a frankenmotor, stock springs, OME shocks, and the prev. owner installed a taller top gear at transaxle rebuild. Still running VC.
Tire size is 215-75R 15. 35 psi all around. (Van weighs 1000+/_ 25 lb at each corner.)
This appears to be a good to be a good susp. setup. Ride is firm on pavement, but not too harsh on dirt roads.

Van rolls along nicely, just over 3000 rpm = 65 mph. Verified MPH vs. GPS, and calculate about 7-8% speedo. error.
BUT it doesn't like to pull much out of about 2500 rpm, so a bit boggy on long inclines, due to taller 4th gear. I do not recommend this gear change, due to large gap between 3rd and 4th.
Pulled the Grapevine/Tejon Pass S.B. w/o downshifting at about 54 mph/2600 rpm.
Mileage N.B. on 99 was only 16, bucking a nasty headwind. Southbound on the way home, a bit over 20 mpg, against light to moderate headwinds.
A bit disappointing- Last year on a 2000 mi round trip to AZ I averaged 23.7 mpg.

The only casualty on this trip was the front heater valve, it started leaking at the lever input. Seemed to leak only when in the open position, so I drove home w/o heater. While tracing the leak I discovered Lots of other coolant/heating hoses, and tightened clamps all around. I think I may have another valve in my spares, will check after I post this.

Happy New Year, everybody!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed the F carpet and underlayment after a clutch master cylinder leak.

It was AMAZING how much dirt came out of the drivers side.

soaked the effected underlayment section and teh whole carpet section is a plastic box of some dish soap and simple green for a few hours. then hung on the lowered shower rod and commenced spray down with remote shower head on a hose.

again, amazing how much dirt, sand, etc came out of that carpet. curious how it will look when dry.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash mine every spring and let it air dry and it comes out looking new. Dirt rots material. Washing is good for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you've ever noticed but when a home has new carpet installed, it is 12' wide, rolled up and carried in by ONE person.

When it is removed years later it is sliced into 3' widths and each small roll is carried out by ONE person.

There is a Major weight difference between new and used carpet. That difference is pounds and pounds of Dirt deeply embedded in the fibers.

I cleaned my carpet last Summer, absolutely amazing how much dirt flowed out of that unit!

[/quote]

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Slippery Slider Reply with quote

Looked at an 81 Westy this week, thinking about a parts car but it was really too nice for that, a Cali car and I was amazed how well the slider door still operated..so...when I got home the next day the OCD took over and I spent a wonderful day trying to get it right...
Cleaned, lubed and adjusted, added a rear handle, used new door clip fasteners...whatever they are called and put it all back together. I replaced the nylon guide with the black replacement item Ive had in a drawer for a long .then..ended up reinstalling the OG one with slight modifications to get the "slide in the groove" just right.. Groovy! My wife can open AND close it now... Wink

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips and tricks, or edits for the different photos you're showing like "lubricate here", or "tighten this", or "replace this"... ?

I have a 91 and the track door opens/closes like a dream. I have an 87 and the opening/closing is quite rough, loud, noisy.

thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 378, 379, 380 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 379 of 630

Jump to: