Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a pair of new GoWesty front ABS door panels. Someone had installed some 6x9 speakers low in the door and I wanted them gone. These new panels did the trick.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
bpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started installing rear speakers... It has turned into an AC removal project. Yikes.
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: More electrical work Reply with quote

Hardwired a new invertor into the larger of the two deep-cycle batteries in my bank. Works like a charm. I am now curious about how efficient the invertor will be - how do the aH's of battery capacity relate to the wattages of the devices run through the invertor.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keeep my inverter off unless I need it.

Last night I finished running 12v power from the house/blue seas fuse panel under the seat up to the #3 accesory position in the fuse panel. Now I can manually run the radio and not have the key on listening to the fuel pump at camp, or draw the start/chassis battery down.

My wife says shes glad we didnt get a westy with a sink or I would probobly be living in it now with as much time as Ive spent upfitting since purchase 3 months ago Wink
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: More electrical work Reply with quote

singletrackrod wrote:
Hardwired a new invertor into the larger of the two deep-cycle batteries in my bank. Works like a charm. I am now curious about how efficient the invertor will be - how do the aH's of battery capacity relate to the wattages of the devices run through the invertor.

Sorry to tell you to do a quick search 'cause there is lots of info, but the consensus is they are not really efficient-but they do work.
eastfalia4now
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an Auber SYL-2813 as a dual channel CHT gauge...

This little guy really seems to fit the bill and is a great alternative to the Dakota Digital gauge. Dual channel, hi/lo alarms, will trigger a relay at a temp you specify. It works with all the different thermocouple types. Can be used for oil pressure, CHT, EGT, Boost, etc. Oh, and it's cold junction compensated. All for about $87 shipped. My type J thermocouple wire cost $20 so that's dual CHT monitors for under 100 bucks. Not bad. Now if I could just do a decent job of mounting it...

Here's the link. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=357

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by eastfalia4now on Sat May 02, 2015 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: More electrical work Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
singletrackrod wrote:

Sorry to tell you to do a quick search 'cause there is lots of info, but the consensus is they are not really efficient-but they do work.

x2

What are you running? Get 12v power cords for everything you can & you'll be better off... Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: T3 stabilizer bar Reply with quote

Alex Proulx wrote:
First project of the winter. T3 Technique stabilizer bar, stabilizer link bushings/hardware and strut bar bushings/hardware.

The T3 stabilzer bar was easy to install, the product is great and looks great. No issues on the driver side. On the passenger side I could not break the strut bar loose from the lower control arm. That thing is fused. So I could not replace the inside bushing, I will have to be creative here or take it to the pros.

driver side:

passenger side:

In addition to the above, the following was also completed over the winter:
-Shiny new rear drums, shoes, cylinders and SS hoses
-Front SS hoses
-Engine mounts
-Transmission mount
-CV repack and seal (they were leaking grease all over, I put a micro bead of rtv on the outer edge of the boot cap, so far so good)
-And finally new valve and push rod covers just for the bling

She feels pretty tight now, must be those shiny covers Very Happy

benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our van lives on the street in front of our house with the nose facing downhill. Rain collects in the luggage rack and I've been dreading pulling it to see what lived underneath.

Happy to say it wasn't too bad. I replaced all the screens on the drain holes and got rid of the rusty strap loops, replacing the, with stainless eye bolts. Not sure if I love this upgrade but time will tell.

Also, someone recently said there was no such thing as a rust free Vanagon. I disagree!!! Mine has lived in Georgia and North Carolina its entire life and is completely rust free, even under the luggage rack!!

oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, man. That looks clean. Going to Bugs on the Hooch? I am hoping to have my Beetle AND the Vanny there.
So, I'm Putting a tow package together, after piddling around with a GW hitch for air-cooled I never thought it was reliably stout. Even though It does bolt onto the tow loops and they are presumably designed to be able to pull a Vanagon I have my doubts . So, I ordered a Burley receiver style hitch that will be bolted into the rear frame, replaces the bumper mounts.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6342528/vanagon/hitch2.jpg
These were surprisingly easy to remove...the 3/4" 19mm? bolts still looked new on the threads. Sprayed a little creeping oil on to the bumper pad clips and they were pretty nice to remove, too.

She's waiting, ready to go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnhojjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: I WANTED to set it on fire... but fixed it instead Reply with quote

Well a confusing(and awesomely frustrating) problem arose today with my 89 van. After a 20 minute drive, driving a bit faster than I would like to admit, I was in my neighborhood and the oil light and buzzer came on. I pulled over and got to a safe spot, then pulled off the hatch cover. What I saw was an exploded belt and one just off the guides. I walked home a mile or so, and took another car to get the replacement belts from O'Reilly's. I decided that since I was in the area anyways I might as well replace all of the belts. I got the alternator and power steering belts from the store and proceeded to head home(no need for an AC belt as mine doesn't work).

I was dropped off with the tools necessary in hand and got to work. I replaced them in about 20 minutes with ease. They were too loose at first which caused a fun amount of noise that almost ruptured my ear drums. They eventually were on fine and everything ran smoothly. The only issue was the damn light. No steady oil leak, no issues that I could diagnose and the engine was running in really nice shape, just the persisting warning light.... but only over 2000ish RPM's, which I found out later was very important.

After I limped the beast home I took to the web, finding out about the 2nd oil sensor that causes the buzzing and blinking(And located near the belts). After a lot of frustration and frantic google searches I finally figured out the belt exploding knocked the oil sensor wire out, causing it to not be able to ground. When I touched the loose wire to the engine the light went off and everything ran smoothly---- Problem solved!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^Very satisfying
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handled in SOCAL fashion...have grandkids in Irvine and Escondido😳, but I'm still a SOCAL wannabe 😎
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I got the windshield spray system to work, dead motor, corroded stalk switch, bad connection at pump stud. Added fluid and sprayed, new wipers. Simple two day job.
Today I put in LED backup lights. Tried it on another Vanagon and liked. Put them on this Vanagon. Adjusted the driver's side square light. Would like to pull the driver's beam in and down.
Tomorrow, hang out with the DUCKS.
Next week, check out another Vanagon for sale.

Aloha
tp
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: 1980 Vanagon Burley Hitch install Reply with quote

Hitch came today and I got right to it.

Still too high, needs a 6" drop to match the tow bar height for my beetle..

I like the idea of something protecting the engine and a stiff hitch, too.
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the time to replace those old original plastic coolant lines with a 2 piece stainless set from VC and most of the engine coolant hoses with silicone hoses also installed a new radiator fan and and while I was in the area a new steering coupling. Full day

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
ktr-sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a bracket for my Westy's L-jetronic ECU.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to swapping out my original and quite rusted through muffler for a good used one my friend had lying around. Found that the cat only had a couple small chunks of honeycomb left, so I also swapped in a good used one of those, as well. Now my exhaust doesn't stink like a gas huffer's den of iniquity any longer.

I also took the time to finally adjust my throttle switch. Now the throttle allows the RPMs to drop back down to idle speed with the AC running. It had been staying up around 2k and required that I blip the throttle in order to get it to drop. This throttle blipping intimidated pedestrians at stop lights. I no longer come across as an angry white menace in the dirty blue van...at least at stop lights.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auxiliary battery nearly completely drained during the winter (car stored for 5 months). It was reading 7 volts last Friday, not even enough to power the radio.
It took 3 nights on the charger and 2 full days in the sun (140w panel) to get it to 12.8 volts, that's a long time. It seems to be holding the charge but after everything I read on drained battery I have doubts it will last. Time will tell.
Alex
ChuckWagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapped this little treasure hunt up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 392 of 630

Jump to: