Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 400, 401, 402 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugeniy wrote:
I made fuel level sensor from russian car
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fixed your pic for ya...

PS: Nice work & very resourceful!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Located a source for the missing vent hose and am going to use the clever new heater resistor mod found in the these threads so I can put the patient back together. Heater box has been cleaned, flaps updated with cork gasket material, core inspected, vents cleaned, some wiring tidied, dashboard ArmorAll'ed, in keeping with its 1987 provenance. Skipping the shear bolts for regular ones as they are apparently not a safety feature.

Hope it goes back together with a minimum of fuss as I have a bunch of window seals arriving this week as well.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a aircooled 2L Westy with a 100amp house battery setup, isolator and all and noticed the poor condition of the alternator harness at the starter. Cleaned the ring connectors, taped up the wires with cracked insulation and then ran a 8AWG sister wire from the Alternator to the lower starter connecting post to improve the flow to the system...put it all back together with some dielectric grease allied to everything on the post. Sorry, no pics...imagine you are OCD....use your imagination Any thoughts?
1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the heater/air box back together, added the much improved and safer blower resistor mod (dhaavers' invention), reinstalled it, reconnected all the flap/vent controls, fixed some crufty wiring, fixed the dash vents that didn't work/weren't there, reinstalling the dashboard, and it all worked. Almost. I've lost the radio and need to bleed the cooling system. But that's for another day.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week, resealed the gas tank:

Cleaned up the tank straps:

Discovered why gasoline burps out the filler:

Found the ball rolling around in the tank and reinstalled it:

Grommets on the tank were actually still in pretty decent shape (replaced them anyway along with hoses). The expansion tank grommets on the other hand (hoses were shot too):

Gee, I wonder where the gas fumes were coming from... Laughing

Also added marine vinyl to the fresh air intake grille (summer-only modification until the dash is pulled), which has eliminated 90% of the desert blast furnace air blowing on my foot:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 373 carry some of my 1.9 TDI(ALH) engine mounting pictures.
Here are few more to give confidence to mount a TDI engine.
From my point of view, following should be the bench mark for the 50 degree angled engine alignment.
I say this, since my two mounting brackets(gearbox & left engine mount) are OE plus all mounts & mounting point are 1.6 TD original.

1.The IC pump is in level with the van’s floor. 2. The filter body edge is projected roughly ¾”.

1. The IC pump should be on dot with sprit level.

The crank case(fusion of TDI & TD) has a ground Clarence of 9”. tyre size;-205/R15/70. The old springs has gone soft.

The above setup make sure the CV joints are happy. I’m still running with factory fitted joints.
Omega grease(heat proof & water proof), one of the best has gone to CV joints.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test drive to get the coolant warm enough to bleed the air resulted in overheating/boil over. That was quick. I'll take another test drive today once I get the drivers door put back together from installing new window rubber. I found the relevant section in Bentley too late to be of much use. Brick wall

I think the suggestion of deboning the book and tossing the sections I don't need makes a lot of sense. Then I could make a functional index of the remainder. Windows, all would be under W. Windows, door could be cross-referenced there. I think Bentley has it as Body - doors. :2gunfire:

On the upside, since you have to take the whole ^#^*#%^ing door apart and both windows out, you have a chance to clean them back to factory perfection. The only replacement glass is the windshield, I think. Pro-tip: a suction cup is worth any number of helpers. Doesn't in your way and never gets bored

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the front shift rod bushing. The part had been sitting in the garage for a while but I never got to it. I should have done it at the same time as the shift lever 2 years ago because everything needs to be re-adjusted every time you disconnect the shaft. That made a nice improvement on precision and stiffness, it feels very clean now. I got more improvement with this front bushing than from the whole rear shift linkage kit, I guess it would have been smart to do everything at once.

Also I went back to the stock mechanical TPS instead of the GW vacuum one. The vacuum one was nice for a while but lately the van was jerking a lot during low speed - low rpm conditions like when driving in parking lots, traffic or coasting through a town. I believe the switch became imprecise and caused the on-off jerking while the accelerator was slightly depressed. The mechanical switch can be temperamental with adjustment but when it's on it's on and stays on unless you let go. Anyways the van is now much nicer to drive in parking lots although I can feel a tiny bit of lag going off idle but that might be adjustment lol, can't win. I kept the vacuum switch installed in the engine bay, it will be a quick back up to the mechanical one if something ever happens to it.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced one wing window seal. Much more involved job than expected. Lessons learned. But it seems to be an improvement…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
87vanagontintop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Filed an application for registration! Reply with quote

Another one creaks onto the road... filed an application for registration at the DMV today. Went smoother than anticipated!

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: A westy under a tarp? Yuck. Reply with quote

Took out both sliding windows, disassembled, cleaned, replaced felt, but ordered the wrong seals (two the same size: the window frames are not). The galley window is ready to go in but I'm short a pair of hands. Should have a helper to get it in place tomorrow. I'll get the other seal on Monday from Peacevans (they order from Van Café as well) and swap it for the one I ordered by mistake.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Created a duct tape "CV cozy" over the trailing arm opening to help protect new
CV with a newly trashed CV boot. I have a 400-mile trip planned this weekend
and no backup boot on hand. Tell me it'll be ok...??? Pray

If I spend 4x more for Rockford boots, do they really last 4x longer?
This one held up for 17k miles in 34 months... Rolling Eyes

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17k in 34 months' not bad.. Embarassed

but from what I hear the Rocklers are tough.. and that's the route I plan to go next R&R... which is sooner than later..

as for making it 400mi. the CVs need to have grease in them. and as little water and grit as possible.. but most importantly some form of lubrication.
they will of course tell you when they don't have enough...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Oh yeah - before the tape job, I had packed another half-a-dozen fingerfuls
of Redline into the joint past the flange so I figure I'm as good as I can get... Rolling Eyes

Thanks, Dan - Rockfords on order!

- Dave

vanagonhopefull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made my van truly Canadian by removing all the mismatched and rusty interior fasteners with new Stainless Steel fasteners, all with Roberstson heads ! Smile
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the gearbox upgrade with 0.74 5th. Cool
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Sliding window install Reply with quote

One down, one to go.

Lessons learned:
Wear gloves or wrap the rope/your hand so you can pull the rope that sets the seal. You're going to be pulling it hard.
Triple check that the rope ends overlap. If they don't, the seal doesn't get pulled through where they don't. My helper opted to pick and pull the six inches of missed seal rather than pop it out and start again.
It's more about pushing down on the window once the bottom edge seal is pulled through, not so much in.

It really is just a few minutes work but the prep — getting the seal on the window and keeping there, getting the rope set, finding a helper — is what makes it go quickly.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauties.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonhopefull wrote:
Made my van truly Canadian by removing all the mismatched and rusty interior fasteners with new Stainless Steel fasteners, all with Roberstson heads ! Smile

Gawd those Robertson screws are a PITA to remove, my truck had those here and there.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the cruise on my Multivan working today using a Land Rover vacuum pump and servo set up.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 400, 401, 402 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 401 of 630

Jump to: