Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 414, 415, 416 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
I'm not forking out for a new turn signal switch just for that.

is it worth $10 for a new one?

http://www.hansautoparts.com/product-detail.aspx?251953513TurnSignalSwitch.htm

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
fxr wrote:
I'm not forking out for a new turn signal switch just for that.

is it worth $10 for a new one?

http://www.hansautoparts.com/product-detail.aspx?251953513TurnSignalSwitch.htm

I think it may well be - thanks for that! Smile
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
The horn was feak and weeble, so added a LOUD HORN from GW. Excellent horn - when it worked.

Turns out my horn ring (that doesn't sound good, does it...) was a thin sliver just 0.3mm wide, and the contact on the turn signal switch assembly was a thin flaky point. A bit hit'n'miss in other words.

A new horn ring (just the brass part) is on order, and I'll mend the contact with a bit of springy brass soldered onto the original - I'm not forking out for a new turn signal switch just for that.

I added a horn relay, It use a better grounding path than stock horn switch.
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/horn-relay

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Since finishing the 1.8T install a few weeks ago - new rear shocks.
Now I have the front end torn apart- new front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, upper ball joints, and Upper control arm bushings.

Also rebuilt the power steering rack, not really that hard. Waiting for power flex bushings so I can put it all back together.

Oh and a new stereo, nothing special just a pioneer deck from Amazon but it does have Bluetooth and a USB port. Now I need to make a cabinet in the back above the bed where the old AC used to be. So I can put the new speakers in there.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OK...I know that there are real mechanics out there, master fabricators, electrical-solar-off-the-grid Sambanistas y Sambanistos. Me, I am just another poor soul who depends on a1980 Westy for my OCD treatments. I just found a good dose of practical therapy.
I have seen others post about Honda Oddessy's flip-down cup holder console and seen the report that they won't work on swivel seats. So... I thought about it and began to wonder if it could work if it had a bracket that would allow you to easily remove it. The seat could be turned around and then the small console could be put back into use while camping.
Toby Bennin and John operate an air cooled shop, Import Restoration in Smyrna, Ga. I am blessed to have these friends...they are worth the $, too.
So, here's what we came up with...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bead blasted some old steel and painted it with "Vanagon Brown".

Poked the holes, cleaned up the wheel well surface and filled the old cup holder holes with dumdum, sealed the area with tar-backed roll sealer, heated it up with my heatgun, pressed/rolled into place, and then locked it into place with nyloc 5/16.

I decided to remove the front wheel to avoid banging into brake lines.

1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed a new Gowesty Dash PCB last week.

Pros:

It works! And there's no other robust alternative once the factory foil-type connectors bite the dust. They are so fragile.

This is a great item to have available, as the foil is really *weak* The foil was delaminating, and attempting to install new LED's to illuminate clock + idiot light icons + speedo + Tach didn't work. The tach and speedo still worked, but I suddenly had no lights, and my Oil pressure buzzer would go on, and stay on as soon as I hit about 2300 RPM for the first time.

Cons:

My clock doesn't work anymore, which is just kind of annoying, because of where the new PCB is located, it's going ot be a PITA to torubleshoot. Sometimes my Oil Pressure light will "flicker" as I change gears and the RPMs drop and raise back up.

Pics of the install:

7MM bolts.

All cleaned up.

Some of the left overs.

Nuts set aside, these will be reused. Other plastic pieces pictured are "deleted" once new PCB is installed.

Getting the PCB pieces to "mate" with the old plugs was the hardest part of the install. Shined a flashlight behind to help me make sure I was making a solid connection between the female and male parts.

Must not have gotten it right for the clock, as it's still not working.

Could also be a little moisture that got in there when I was cleaning everything up while I had everything taken apart.

Here's another neat step. Little rubber tubing was included to help create a "light barrier" for the colored LEDs. Replacement is just those cut LED diodes, so "outside light" can enter. Putting these sleeves on keeps that from happening. Was kind of a pain, but it worked! Really made me appreciate the attention to detail that Gowesty had. It's still very much a DIY fix, but they've filled in all the blanks that would have made this a mediocre upgrade.

Another PCB install where Female - Male connection has to be done almost blind, since the replacement doesn't have "fitted" female plug. To make sure PCB stays on properly a small amount of glue is required. So getting it wrong the first time was a bummer, I had to remove the glue, clean, clean, clean, and test before semi-permanently gluing again.

Next on the list:
Hissy Leaky AC to figure out.
Pwer Steering ATF drip-drip-dripping
New Radiator that's ready to put on.

Then:
Brakes. . . Exhaust. . . suspension . . Paint.
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Here's a quick photo- before the final fitting - of my new Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. The fit and finish far exceeded my expectations. If you are looking to re-do your seats and want a durable, easy to clean surface, these are worth a look.

More photos to follow.

I also finished the lacquer/wax finish on my table.

Final getting close to completion

'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)

Last edited by singletrackrod on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New squirters from T3 Technique:

And these FANTASTIC new plates. I finally found a specialty plate I can get behind (and qualify for.)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

singletrackrod wrote:
Here's a quick photo- before the final fitting - of my new Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. The fit and finish far exceeded my expectations. If you are looking to re-do your seats and want a durable, easy to clean surface, these are worth a look.

More photos to follow.

More photos of the seat covers! Look solid. They just install over the factory seat fabric? Did you get the heat option?
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
New squirters from T3 Technique:

And these FANTASTIC new plates. I finally found a specialty plate I can get behind (and qualify for.)

How is the spray pattern vs stock?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:

How is the spray pattern vs stock?

The individual spray patterns are a bit narrower. It took a bit of time and patience to get them directed properly, but you definitely get more fluid in more places on the windshield.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
singletrackrod wrote:

More photos to follow.

Yup, they fit right over the factory seats. Because the fit is soooo good, it does require some effort to get them on correctly, but I think the result is outstanding. I didn't option for the seat heaters, as the van is now mostly a warm weather vehicle. I'll get some more photos posted once we have a dry, sunny day here.

More photos of the seat covers! Look solid. They just install over the factory seat fabric? Did you get the heat option?

'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Abelabelabel wrote:
Installed a new Gowesty Dash PCB last week.

Does your tach work with the kit?

Can't tell if you have one from the photos but I've got a broken tach (someone soldered the foil before but it no longer works) and am interested in the kit if it restores that.

Thanks!
digthemlows
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drilled my very first holes in the westy.....Lift assist is now installed.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

While the aftermarket bumper options are very nice, they're a bit out of my price range. Having beaten up my original chrome rear bumper (and then another) I figured I'd go with a cheap black one this time around.

CIP1.com sells two versions, the super-flimsy one that we're all familiar with, and an upgraded version for more $$. They were having a sale last week, so I bought the more expensive one. I can tell you that it's as heavy as the original.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-255-807-111-CBK

My foot slides off of them, which bugs me, so I added some self-adhesive treads cut down to size ($10 from Amazon.) We'll see if they stay on or if I need to come up with better mounting solution, or scrap them altogether. They do look OK right now, though, and should serve their purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-05680-Safety-Step-2-p...3MYS44CHQV

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fixed rad fan in 88 Wolfsburg Carat auto with Subaru 2.5L (no working A/C)

Wire colors are different from Bentley 97.141. My rad fan thermoswitch had RW3 (+ve with IGN ON); RB2 (relay clicked only when jumped from RW3);RBL1 (nothing when jumped from RW3)
Checked relays 2nd stage (#53) on fuse panel and 3rd stage with fuse under dash behind left air vent). Both clicked OK with 12v and ground from the battery.
Hooked up battery + and - to the rad fan using jumper cables and alligator clipped wires. Rad fan worked OK. Faulty fan ground. Added a second ground to the fan. Thank you The Samba.
Now I had high speed fan when jumping thermoswitch RW3 to RB2.
More wiring difference. RBL1 at thermoswitch becomes RB at the harness connector to the resistor (2 RB wires,1 B wire into resistor,1 red wire out).
Jumping RW3 to RBL1 at the thermoswitch I got + at RB2 at resistor. The other RB and B wires feed from the A/C. I Connected one RB to the B wire so resistor 1 and 2 will both be +ve when RW3 is jumped to RBL1 at the thermoswitch. Then I had slow speed fan .So I am bypassing the 2nd stage relay in the fuse panel.
So at 95 degrees C at the thermoswitch I get slow speed fan and at 102 degrees C I get high speed fan at least in my test scenario.
MrBuelterman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed Blazecut on the desk lid.

rlbarnes5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added a driver's side grab handle!

Thanks to all who posted advice on this project. Handle cost me $10 on eBay. Wedges free from my mechanic. Total time about 45m for install. No cursing required!

Details on my mods page here: http://byronsalaskaadventure.blogspot.com/p/byron.html[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I put new shoes on my multi. Love me some Rheins!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 414, 415, 416 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 415 of 631

Jump to: