Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 425, 426, 427 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bummer about the hot metal in the eye Shocked ,but looking good on saving your van. Don't forget to coat the underside of that step!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Recently had AC recharged in anticipation of summer temps. Just in time as it was almost 90 here yesterday.

Coming home from SF I noticed some exhaust noise which has been steadily getting worse. Yesterday my local muffler guy welded up a couple hairline cracks at exh. flanges and collector.
Took the van for a test cruise down by the beach- it sounds right now.
$20.00 well spent!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: My gift for Father's Day? I didn't banjax my van Reply with quote

Today I
• Pulled the Domestic 3 way fridge in anticipation of my TF49 arriving tomorrow, and tidied up the cabinet (cut away the backing wall, unscrewed the dual socket)
• Wired up my BlueSeas ACR and installed it under the rear bench by the aux battery, wiring it thusly:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starred runs are new wire I added today. The fuse panel is still to be installed. This is what I ended up with:

Anything that requires drilling holes gives me major agita but I managed to drill a hole for the 8AWG wire run from the starter to the ACR and a much smaller one for a grounding screw. The wire runs to the ACR are very short, 8 inches for the aux and maybe 2-3 feet for the main, not counting the run to/from the starter. 8AWG should be fine especially as its the largest I can find.

Got it all wired, reconnected the main battery, turned the key, I walked around looking/smelling for smoke, and when I cranked her, she started. Pray Checked both batteries and they were getting 13.76v each. They had been holding about 12.5v.

I really have no idea how the aux battery was used previously, as I noticed the clock and radio both worked. I didn't expect that, as they were supposedly drawing on the aux battery. So I'm not sure how/what PO did here. I think there was no isolation and both batteries were just on all the time. Could be a bummer if you went camping and drew down what you thought was the aux battery, only to find they were both flat. This is the same van that only pushed 6v to the radio when I got her and was blowing alternators on a regular basis. I have enough receipts from the shop that looked after my Frida to know not to let them near her again.

So now to sort that out and get the camping/entertainment stuff on the aux. I guess I don't mind the radio and clock on the main battery, it's just not what I expected.

Q for the cognoscenti: what size fuses do I need inline between the batteries and the ACR? I have a 90a alternator. I want to do that before I put any miles on her.

Next up: pulling a length of 8AWG to the driver's pedestal to hook up a fuse panel and sort out this mysterious wiring. The fridge will want power and so will the sink and lights.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard,

Your ground wire in the photo above is too small. I would suggest 10 gauge minimum. Ideally matching the 8 gauge charging wire would be best.

The smaller wire will reduce charging currents noticeably, and may even overheat.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
Paulbeard,

Your ground wire in the photo above is too small. I would suggest 10 gauge minimum. Ideally matching the 8 gauge charging wire would be best.

The smaller wire will reduce charging currents noticeably, and may even overheat.

X2, both need to be the same gauge in a perfect world.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my upper control arm bushings with T3's Powerflex. No squeaks or knocks anymore! Time will tell, but I felt rather accomplished doing the job myself. A local shop pressed out the old bushings and the new ones in for me for $40. Went a lot smoother than I would have guessed.

Time to hit some forest service roads!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'll have to find a 10AWG spade which was the limiting factor there. At least I know it all works. I need a bunch of 10AWG to get the fridge and fuse panel hooked up.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OrganicMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

click here to check out Bus Luv

for the love of all rear engine VW busses...bagged to beat, rusted to restored, we luv them all...

tell your friends and share the luv...
babywindow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Big cooling system repairs... a whole day on my back under the van.

- van up on ramps
- remove upper and lower front grilles
- remove spare tire and carrier
- drain coolant
- remove radiator/condenser assembly
- remove shroud and radiator fan
- test fan with car battery and jumper cables (failed--not spinning)
- replace fan with another used unit
- remove original plastic long coolant lines
- install new RMW stainless coolant lines
- install front heater core shutoff valve
- reroute front AC condensation hose so that it doesn't dump condensate on the radiator fan (probably contributed to its failure)
- reinstall radiator/condenser assembly
- reinstall spare tire carrier and tire
- refill coolant using bug sprayer pressure tank method
- start and idle van for 30 minutes; observe Stage 1 fan operation
- let van cool down
- test coolant levels

Happy this work is done, but what a day--95 degrees outside.

kourt

Sounds fun...I'm doing that plus the water pump and heater hoses, heater cores, etc...

Anybody know how many feet of 5/8 heater hose is on a 87 vanagon?
OrganicMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Carbon fiber pop...

for the love of all rear engine VW busses...bagged to beat, rusted to restored, we luv them all...

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Used disc grinder to remove PO's tow bar plate.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OrganicMechanic wrote:

Carbon fiber pop...

Damn! $$$ Shocked Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OrganicMechanic wrote:

Carbon fiber pop...

Because...why?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
OrganicMechanic wrote:

Carbon fiber pop...

Because...why?

Why not it looks good.
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My latest 82 air cooled L needed the fuel tank fixed because it leaked when you filled it up. The fuel gauge didn't work either. The tank had a huge dent in it and lucky for me I keep everything and I had a spare tank from a totaled 87 that fit perfectly. I replaced all grommets and lines with a GoWesty tank kit. I also replaced the aging rubber fuel lines. The swap went as smooth as butter and the gauge is now working too.

Next is figuring out to install this Z bed that came with it?
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my kit from RMW yesterday. Took it all out, admired it, played with it. Good times. Put 2 new headgaskets on subaru donor motor, replaced the rear main and front main seals, camshaft seals and replaced all the timing components. Installed a new oil pump and water pump. Engine prep is almost done, just need to get a new oil filter stud, plug up the port for the oil cooler and install my reversed coolant manifold and adapter plate/flywheel. Sent my harness out to RMW to be modified. Should be ready for the swap in a week or two. Good two days.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OrganicMechanic wrote:

Carbon fiber pop...

Did you swap over the entire roof, or just cut a hole and trim it up? I'd like to see how you trimmed it up. I've been reading every thread on the pop top swap, have a pop top that I picked up for 200 bucks, but still can't quite figure out how to trim the hole.
OrganicMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jacob. wrote:
Did you swap over the entire roof, or just cut a hole and trim it up? I'd like to see how you trimmed it up. I've been reading every thread on the pop top swap, have a pop top that I picked up for 200 bucks, but still can't quite figure out how to trim the hole.

I did just trim the hole into the roof, it is still in process, but so far I am happy, the whole roof swap was a bit much more than I wanted to tackle...

jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'd love to see some pictures of how you trimmed it up when you're done. Somebody should really make a kit.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Who manufactures your new round headlights Jacob?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 425, 426, 427 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 426 of 631

Jump to: