Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN Plate Location?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leight86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: VIN Plate Location? Reply with quote

Hi i've recently purchased a 1973 bus which is an "L" plate. I have read a few things about the vehicle tax exemptions for vehicles manufactured before 73, but I cant find the Chassis plate to confirm its actual date of manufacture.
I've found the M plate I think?and the plate that starts "SAB" but no Chassis number?
Its a 1600cc air cooled, Think it was also a panel van because theres no walk through.
Sorry if I've missed anything as I am new to all this.
If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be a great help Cheers
Leigh.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the euro bus didnt use the type four engines in 73, then i would assume the ID number is stamped in the same place as the 68-71 american issued 1600cc bus, which is- between the engine and the battery stamped into the body sheet metal. you should also have a plate behind the passengers seat? at least thats how it is here in NY

and what is an L plate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Leight86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry an "L" plate is just the registration number of my bus.
There are no stamps or plates in the engine compartment apart from one that starts with SABTVR......
Its possible it could have been painted over or removed in the past.
There is one behind the passenger seat but i thought that was the m codes to state the factory extras?
Cheers.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: VIN Vehicle ID identification location Reply with quote

The aluminum one behind the right seat is the vin plate, the painted metal one behind the left seat is the M plate.

All busses have the body vin stamped into the raised area on the frame rail between the engine and the battery, until 72 when it moved to the left rear corner of the engine bay at the base of the engine seal lip, even 1600 powered ones..

Most post 69 busses also have it on the left front edge of the dash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To find the date of manufacture you need the sticker in the door jamb or the M plate.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mountain Minstrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The aluminum one behind the right seat is the vin plate, the painted metal one behind the left seat is the M plate.

All busses have the body vin stamped into the raised area on the frame rail between the engine and the battery, until 72 when it moved to the left rear corner of the engine bay at the base of the engine seal lip, even 1600 powered ones..

Most post 69 busses also have it on the left front edge of the dash.

To find the date of manufacture you need the sticker in the door jamb or the M plate.

Does that mean that some of them did not? I am in the process of getting my 69 re-registered and need to have the VIN verified, but there is no VIN (that I can see) on the dash. Nor is there any sign that anything has been riveted on at that location. I just need to know what, if anything to tell the inspector.
04 Miata (Sold)

Desertbusman wrote:
Maintenance doesn't mean repairing it when it breaks. That's called repair.

miniman82 wrote:
Don't listen to him, people from Fresno are retarded. Rolling Eyes
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plate on the dash didn't start until 70, it wasn't a requirement before that, same with doorpost stickers.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mountain Minstrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy! The threads I read either never said that or I missed them in the midst of everything else. Sometimes there is so much off-topic discussion that I can't find the relevant information in searched threads.

Now I am good to go, if I can just figure out who can come to me to do the verification. So far, all of the Peace Officers are standing in a circle and pointing left. I may have to wait until I get the beam finished and back on then tow it down to the DMV, (though I hope not).
04 Miata (Sold)

Desertbusman wrote:
Maintenance doesn't mean repairing it when it breaks. That's called repair.

miniman82 wrote:
Don't listen to him, people from Fresno are retarded. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: