Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

body beading
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: body beading Reply with quote

this is the body beading by the thing shop. does anyone know where i can get a roll of this stuff less expensive

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181867370A
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with kubelmann.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12933
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=452412

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

When you put the 2 words "The" and "IRS" together it spells "Theirs"

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

"Lets play jack up my price!", courtesy of the thing shop.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have new and used rubber moldings for far less than the "other guys" I have full used sets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the average feet it takes to do the whole car?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 feet is the start up footage.. Covers body trim, door tops, door pockets, rear seat backs. More footage does great on hard top trim, gas tank edge and many other areas.. i have a second trim that is great to seal the side curtains against the soft top and seal under the gas tank and more.
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah nice well when i get to that point in my restoration ill definetly hit u up
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do ya have it in orange? or other colors? for that color match, simplfied look. I've always wanted to to do it.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you will need to buy black trim asn use that good vinyl spray and dye it orange for the effect you seek. Eastwood tools might have such a product.

Doing a fast internet search I found rattle can SEM vinyl dye but not in orange. Camaro vinyl dye would be a way to seek this product since there are/were more Camaros than Thing and both were/are nearly the same orange color..

http://www.americanrestorationparts.com/store/69-CAMARO-INTERIOR-DYE-HUGGER-ORANGE-P3425C0.aspx

This is a link to 69 Camaro Hugger Orange interior vinyl dye $26 a can
U. Wilhelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: body beading Reply with quote

The manufacturer of the beading which is notonly used on the Thing bur all over the metal working industry is Trim-Lock , www.trimlok.com
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

Skorzeny's G Ride wrote:
"Lets play jack up my price!", courtesy of the thing shop.

What you get from the Thing Shop is *NOT* simply bulk beading. They are *NOT* simply jacking up the price - it is easily worth what they charge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See all those channels and reinforced rubber sections? Guess what - they conform perfectly to the tops of the door posts (reinforced) and sections where the top pivots (channeled). They took that bulk beading, then measured it, cut it, and reinforced it to fit like a glove on a Thing. I got that kit over 5 years ago, and it's still awesome. $80 so I don't have to do all that work, and it holds up strong for years? Yeah, totally worth it.

Raw material: 31' x $1.50 = $46.50. $35 more for the reinforcement sections cut and glued in place, the channels cleanly done, and for the length cut perfectly - ultimately for a professional job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing trim I have is the same stuff as the Thing Shop. It is the remaining supply of a group buy. You get the door seal and edge and all else you get from the Thing Shop. I have no overhead thus the lower price. Ask any of the folks from the group buy who have it on their Things. I have had it on mine for years. To get it you must buy it in hundreds of feet. I still have a fair supply at a lower cost.
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site: http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 3620, self gripping vinyl edge trim. I beleive item#24175K42 will be about right, but check measurements yourself.
This place is so huge that its hard to find what you want, but the quality is great. You will not beleive their shipping. I ordered some weather stripping that fit my dunebuggy windshield frame perfect and using ground shipping arrived the next day! Check it out.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good to me. i book marked it and will check it out. whoever i talk to about buying some strip from, sorry i have not got back to you. still looking around.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: