Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever spun the splines out of a drum?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Ever spun the splines out of a drum? Reply with quote

It was pretty wierd, I thought for sure that I was going to be up for swapping out a tranny. My wife took my car out to run some errands and she calls me about an hour later. "The whole car shudders and it won't go anywhere!"

Oh crap! Tell me the old lady was hot rodding again! (She's got a lead foot in a car with performance Very Happy ) Well I got the thing home and I found this:

http://www.german-pride.com/Joomla/index.php?optio...39#msg1339

10,000 miles not a lick of trouble and then this! Moral of the story, check the torque on those axle nuts!

It turned out to be a $50 drum instead of $500 tranny! I'll take that anyday! Very Happy

Scott Faivre
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, been there done it. I had the same exact reaction that your wife had. Crap.....lost the tranny. I was verrrrrry happy to find it was only a drum. Wink

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings

Last edited by Hotrodvw on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me on the way home from First Findlay Scott.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Panhandle_dubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn I just to 2 new drums in over the past 4 weeks, be sure to tighten that axle nut!
Stan Monterrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it always the nuts? my friends 62 used to kill the passenger drum only for some reason...........
Itawayoflife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, tighten those drums. Put shims behind the axle nuts so that the nut is actually making contact with the drum and not just hitting the end of the threads. What also helps is tighten the axle nuts then take it for a quick spin around the block, then check them again. I had a nut come undone while driving once, that was one hell of a ride. Sheared the cotterpin right off.
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it happen a few times..it's not always because of loose axle nuts! If your car is lowered 2 splines or more, the toe in could be a factor, I know it was for me and a lot of others.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmentioned here but most common cause is aftermarket drums... We got loads of this crap from Mexico and Brazil several years back.. Insist on German drums even good used would be preferable to the replacement crap fobbed off on the poor unsuspecting consumers...

Jim-
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the weirdest thing was that this happened after 10,000 miles of use! Cotter pin was still in place and everything! Confused

Oh well, I pick up a new drum today. I'm just glad it was a $50 drum and not a $500 tranny! Smile

Scott Faivre

P.S. GermanPride, I like your screen name! Very Happy Have you seen our website? Look at my link in my signature.
Itawayoflife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Faivre wrote:
Well the weirdest thing was that this happened after 10,000 miles of use! Cotter pin was still in place and everything! Confused

Oh well, I pick up a new drum today. I'm just glad it was a $50 drum and not a $500 tranny! Smile

Scott Faivre

P.S. GermanPride, I like your screen name! Very Happy Have you seen our website? Look at my link in my signature.

This sounds like what Zundfolge1432 said. Aftermarket drums. Did you do any work to the brakes in the last few thousand miles?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to put some wheel bearing grease on the splines of the drum/axle... Installing them clean and dry causes wear too.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itawayoflife wrote:
Scott Faivre wrote:

Scott Faivre

This sounds like what Zundfolge1432 said. Aftermarket drums. Did you do any work to the brakes in the last few thousand miles?

No brake work needed. I still had a solid pedal, and a good strong e-brake. To tell the truth, I don't know what kind of drums they are. They were new on the car when I bought it at the auction. I just checked everything for leaks, adjusted them up and torqued the snot out of them. Very Happy

This car has been a dream! I put in a new electrical harness, and went through everything when I painted it. All I do is check valve adjustments and change oil. My little 1776 with kadrons is "spirited" at best, but it's no spline stripping power house. Oh well, I can't complain.

Here's a shot of the wife driving it.
Click Here - I can't get my photos to post on this forum because of my filenames.

$50 repair and few hours time. I'll take that over a new car payment any time! Very Happy

Scott Faivre
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother had that happen over and over again. We would put on a new drum torque it down to spec put in a new cotter pin and it would keep happening. Turned out the very bottom threads were slightly stripped out and it would torque down correctly but after a couple thousand miles it would strip out the splines. Just something to watch out for if it happens again.
DrvwStevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, years back, my sisters friend had me come look at her POS bug, for a tranny problem. Some shop tried to sell her a tranny replacement for $1500......

I go over, fire it up, shift into 1st gear, and I hear clanging in the left rear hub cap... I get out and pop the hubcap (still in gear) and there's the axle spinning free as a bird in the drums hub. I got her a NEW german drum for $25 @ S.C.I.D. and swapped it out......

'68 bug
Dirty Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stupid enough to actually replace the whole transaxle on one of my first bugs. Turns out that it was only the drum. I had no clue. Now i've probably spun about 15 or more drums. I allways just kept a spare in the car just so I knew I could get it home.
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well rather than a 6 foot pipe over my breaker bar, I think I'm just going to call my buddy that has a torque meister tool. If it strips out again, we'll know it's just the brute HP and Torque of my little 1776 with stock heads and tiny kadrons. Laughing

Here's a question for you...

Does this also happen with Rotors? I haven't heard of any complaints about this problem with rotors. I've knew a lot of people had spun drums, but this was my first. Wink

Scott Faivre
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Faivre wrote:

Does this also happen with Rotors?
Scott Faivre

I just read a thread in the Performance/Engines forum that actually had this happen with rear discs. I don't remember what the issue was though.
atye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had that happen on a '63 convertible about 20yrs back... Just wouldn't pull off from a red light. I panicked and figured I had blown my transmission. Then I noticed that the axle nut was spinning while a friend had it in gear trying it out.

LOTS better to replace a drum than a whole transmission!!

Always torque them down !

1990 Audi 90q 20v sedan
1998 Suzuki Sport Sidekick
2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara
2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5spd Turbo AWD
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanpride wrote:
Scott Faivre wrote:

Does this also happen with Rotors?
Scott Faivre

I just read a thread in the Performance/Engines forum that actually had this happen with rear discs. I don't remember what the issue was though.

Not sure if this is what you're thinking about, but, a few years ago when C.B. came out with their race strength wide 5 rear disc kit, there was a problem with the nuts backing off after a few hundred miles. Never heard the fix but I check mine on a regular basis. After the first re-torque they've never come loose since.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: