Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heat/ac/power
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissa33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: heat/ac/power Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
While on vacation this summer I found a '74 Thing in Vegas and just had to have it. I'm a new Thing owner, though I have loved them for years, and have to admit I am not very mechanically inclined. Call me a wimp if you will, but my first priority is air conditioning. I don't know where to start and am looking for suggestions. Heat, while not at the top of the list, would be an added comfort!
Also, it is completely bare bones and doesn't have a lighter adaptor for plugging in anything. There is a hole in the dash that seems to be the right size for a lighter, but a mechanic told me it couldn't handle any extra power drawn away. I am not so sure about this or if he just didn't want to dive into connecting it. I miss my iPod! I've thought about getting a second battery to which I could connect my little electronic extras. Is this feasible?
Thanks in advance and I am thrilled to have found Samba!
melissa
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nwflvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Heat AC Reply with quote

Hello. The cigarette lighters were dealer or owner installed. You can buy one from any parts house and run the wire over to the fused side of the hot wire in the fuse box. The generator can handle most anything you can plug into it. It would be a simple installation.
As far as AC. There were a few cars that had dealer installed AC units but they were never very practical in cooling a car with so many air leaks and no insulation.
There are aftermarket AC units made for the Beetle but not for a Thing. If you search you will eventually find a Thing under dash unit and condensor. I have owned several of them out of the 200 or so Things that I owned.
I would then contact I.C.E., Inc for one of their compressors and bracket kits. A good AC shop should be able to mate the items. You are probably going to spend in excess of $1500.
Best of luck with your new car. Vince (former owner of Things Unlimited)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting an A/C in a Thing is kinda like building a damn with swiss cheese. It might work for a while...

Better bet? Get a bikini top to keep the sun off, and drive at a speed to keep the air moving. Even in the sweltering south, I found that to be enough.

Good luck!
melissa33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm from New Orleans....we believe damn building with swiss cheese works Wink

thanks for the tips! i thought i might give this summer a go and just see how miserable it is. Smile

i am glad to know i can use a lighter adapter! at least i'll have my tunes in the heat. Smile
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen automobile air conditioners that work by simply plugging the unit into the cigarette lighter. I need to follow up on this one!
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSD_Master wrote:
I have seen automobile air conditioners that work by simply plugging the unit into the cigarette lighter. I need to follow up on this one!

The Koolatron?
GPthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=516295

Brian W
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
GSD_Master wrote:

The Koolatron?

The ones that I was thinking of are like what BRAIN posted. I think this is the website:
http://www.swampy.net/12vcombo.html

Where do we get the Koolatron and how does it work? It does not look like these ones.
colorider181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'koolatron' is just a fan -

http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/koolatron-12v-auto-fans.html[/url]
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a hard top on, the air circulation is enough for me and I live in Texas. You get used to no music and no A/C after a while, don't worry about it! Laughing
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW *did* offer an air conditioner for the Thing, but an electric fan will give the most bang for the buck. Cool

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
melissa33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npconnor wrote:
Even with a hard top on, the air circulation is enough for me and I live in Texas. You get used to no music and no A/C after a while, don't worry about it! Laughing

i don't have far at all to commute and it is a low speed limit street, but speeding tickets seem cheaper than air Wink
do you do anything for heat? bundling up may work fine for me. it doesn't get terribly cold here.
thanks for all the tips!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None listed specifically for a Thing but maybe you can fab something up

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=INA0001&cartid=1107200744635464
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there also is a good system that ive used in a few cars its called the 2 70 unit. you roll down two windows and do 70 down the road works pretty good. Very Happy
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa33 wrote:

do you do anything for heat? bundling up may work fine for me. it doesn't get terribly cold here.

Heat is the easy question to solve - all Things came from the factory with a heating system, so it's just a matter of getting it in good repair.

The '74 came with a fresh air heating system. Output ducts on the left and right side of the engine fan shroud blow over heat exchangers on the exhaust system, then blow through ducting into the passenger cabin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melissa33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackert wrote:
well there also is a good system that ive used in a few cars its called the 2 70 unit. you roll down two windows and do 70 down the road works pretty good. Very Happy

wow...your Thing does 70??

i think i may have a heater that isn't quite connected. if what i am about to describe is not a heater, please completely ignore this post (and my mechanical deficiency!)
underneath the back seats there are open tubes that seem to be blowers of some kind. in the trunk, on the right side, is a metal box with tubing that runs into the gas line. i probably should take a picture. Smile
maybe we should have a newbie forum for pictures that say "what is this?"
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melissa33 wrote:
wow...your Thing does 70??

My Thing goes over 95! Haven't gone to 100 yet... too scary! Cool

melissa33 wrote:
i think i may have a heater that isn't quite connected. if what i am about to describe is not a heater, please completely ignore this post (and my mechanical deficiency!)
underneath the back seats there are open tubes that seem to be blowers of some kind. in the trunk, on the right side, is a metal box with tubing that runs into the gas line. i probably should take a picture. Smile
maybe we should have a newbie forum for pictures that say "what is this?"

Just post it anywhere in this forum, and the expert team of ... ahem... I mean, the peanut gallery will comment on the photo.

It sounds like you're describing the heater stuff under the back seats, but the metal box in the right side of the trunk sounds odd. Perhaps the PO (Previous Owner) installed a gas heater as well?!? (The 73's do not use a fresh air heater, but instead use a gas fired furnace (BN4 heater) under the hood)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

BRAIN wrote:
This looks interesting

Brian W

That could be quite useful in Arizona. Especially when its 115 in the summer. That would also be really useful in other situations. Fishing, camping, etc. Hmmm. Has anyone tried one of those yet.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

BRAIN wrote:
This looks interesting

Brian W

Quote:
Draws less than 5 amps... does not pull power from engine

5 AMPS!?! That's 60 watts - more than the headlights! You'd have to run new wires to safely pull that kind of load from your dashboard.

Hopefully he means significantly less than 5 amps... like maybe 2. Or maybe it's startup current.
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i actually havent drove my car yet its still under resto but im pretty sure the motor i built for it will allow it to go 70 plus but thats what im hopin. its a 1915
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: