Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 porsche 914 subaru WRX engine swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokie, post some pictures of your cars. I would like to see the original, heck the swapped engine one sounds cool too...
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have to disagree that the type 4 motor in a 914 isn't reliable...and Subie motors suffer from head leaks.....

Me? been working on VW motors/cars since 1969.....914's since 1995 and mine is totally dependable as a DD as the engine has been rebuilt with lots of Raby parts.

Same with the Westy.

If the poster wants to install a Subie engine, go ahead its a free world. Cool
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enikolayev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to keep you guys waiting. I will be working on the car again this weekend and will post some updates on my progress. Smokie thanks for backing what i have been saying with your extensive experience in on the subject. I believe the porsche engine CAN be reliable... but i'm installing a subie engine and am trying to prove that it can be done relitavely inexpensively and quickly. my deadline is Jan 20th '08 right before the spring '08 semester of school
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find quite a bit of truth in both sides of this discussion. A 1.8 stock 914 with a couple of mods for reliability might be almost the most reliable car on the planet. I'd add hydraulic lifters (Jake will hate that and I kinda agree with him) and be very careful with the fuel system hoses for leaks. About half of these cars incinerated themselves at the side of the road in the Southern and western states over the years due to fuel leaks. BTW, that engine did not have carbs from the factory and that could be part of the cause of your unhappiness with the 1.8 engine.
But the Subie is a good setup. Anyone looking at this engine carefully will appreciate it.
But the thing is, one learns much more from his mistakes than his successes.
And Eniko will make a few, but he will be better for it. Just hope he does not get hurt from one.
Here are a couple of suggestions. Save every bit of bracket/ metal/ fastener EVERY THING that you take off. Put it in a garbage bag in the attic of the garage. It is sooo much easier to make that big hole half as big by cutting the plug in half and welding the stock part back in. Plus, then everything is totally reversible for you or the next guy and you can put that in the ad if you ever sell it.
I'd look to KEP for an engine adapter, or possibly other conversion stuff. Kennedy has been doing this for about 30 years, I'd guess and have a lot of knowledge built into their products. That is part of what you pay for. Having it work the first time.
But, good luck and keep us posted. The 914 is a hell of a chassis. It will be neat to see how you proceed.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add, that I have had about 10 Vanagons. My very favorite is my 1980, just because it feels better handling. Much more like a 911. (That is the one with the air cooled 2 liter engine.
You wouldn't think a few hundred lb. would make that much difference, but I can sure feel it.
But I am still proceeding to put a Subie into my 87 Westy.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokie,

Lets see some pics of your WRX project. I'm sure pics of a conversion done by a pro would be pretty beneficial to the thread. Mounts, engine management, turbo... Lets see what you did.

Thanks, K
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enikolayev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finals are driving me nuts...no time to do the car.. just 2 more weeks until break..
Cohibra45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you are into your second semester, how is the progress coming?

Kelly (Cohibra45)
enikolayev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot seem to find heads for a reasonable price =/
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enikolayev wrote:
Cannot seem to find heads for a reasonable price =/

Hey Dude,

I'm kinda toying with the idea of doing the same thing as you. Having just put a Subaru EJ22 into an '84 Vanagon GL I realized I put too small a Subaru boxer motor into too large a Volkswagen chassis.... Rolling Eyes

135 horsepower pushing a 3,500 lb box is better than the stock 1.9 liter WBX (80ish something horsepower) but.......

Anyways, the question I have is have you figured out how to do the wiring harness? Are you thinking of going with an after-market setup or modifying the existing harness ?

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do let the hatttterrrsss get to you. Iv had a few 914s. One stock , one hotrod t4 engine , one 2.2 carb 6 , 302 smallblock chev .Now im looking to pull the chev and do like you and subi ize it. It the engine the car has been waiting for!!! 5 main bearings , overhead cams , 4 vales , obd2 system , and the cluch on your wrx is a lot like the 911, pull not push!! And after all even Porsche moved on and went water cooled! Iv got a 2.5 in a vanagon and love it!!

There is a few spots on the web that only deal in subaru parts. Maybe you could fide an engine with one side good??

If your going to have the harness done id call the guys over at Metric Motors in col. They will run your harness on there dyno to test on an engine. Stay away from Smallcar!!

You going to love the wrx power. Post updates when you can!!
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a long winded post, but to sum it up--

It's your car, and your biggest detractor is a guy trying to pimp his alternative product.

I will look forward to updates on your progress (as someone who owns a Porsche, a VW, AND a Subaru Wink )

Best of luck with it!
George Evans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things i find facinating is the differences between Porsche guys vs. the vw guys. TVw guys help each other & pass around info like friends. The Porsche guys guard everything like its a trade secret.

Just like this tread. Several say that the 914 engine with a few mods. can be made very reliable.
What mods would you do to a 914 to make it half as reliable as our trusty old type 1's for daily driving?
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Evans wrote:
One of the things i find facinating is the differences between Porsche guys vs. the vw guys. TVw guys help each other & pass around info like friends. The Porsche guys guard everything like its a trade secret.

I have not found this to be true. Go to the Pelican forums. They'll bend over backwards to help you-- just like the guys here.
Cohibra45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Evans wrote:

Just like this tread. Several say that the 914 engine with a few mods. can be made very reliable.
What mods would you do to a 914 to make it half as reliable as our trusty old type 1's for daily driving?

This is getting old...the type 4 engine is extremely reliable, more so than the type 1. VW would have never gone with it if it weren't so. It is why Jake Raby has gone to Type 4 and has proven it with several of his vehicles. I believe that his Porsche 912e has proven extremely reliable to the point of abuse by him on purpose Shocked !!!

Reliability in any aircooled engine is dependent on proper upkeep/maintenance and tuning. Both engines are flat tappet and require regular valve adjustments, even though Jake's 912e hasn't required a valve adjustment in over 12,000 miles Shocked , he checks them regularly. Proper maintenance is the key to longevity to all our motors Wink !!!

Kelly (Cohibra45)
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
required a valve adjustment in over 12,000 miles

Correction:
120,000 miles.
Smile

Cryogenics and stable operating temperatures are key.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
STP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enikolayev wrote:

And "taking care" of the 914 motor is exactly what i'm trying to avoid.

If you ask me, taking care of your car/ engine is all part of the experience. Whichever engine you decide to go with, you should respect it and take care of it. Otherwise after a while it's going to be nothing but a pile of shit.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to rain on your parade... listen to Raby , he knows what he's talking about. Build the motor for your needs or have someone do it for you, if your not looking for something that "involved" you should have never bought a Vintage Porsche/volkswagen... you want a subie motor ... buy a subie... you want true porsche performance... spend the money and rebuild a 2.0 .... spring for fuel injection while your at it or quit your bitching.... Aircooled motors have many advantages over watercooled... too bad you "Dont quite get it"

-Trevor
69 Fastback "Donald" he wishes he was a Porsche

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your GT3 is air-cooled, or more like a Subie? Wink

Your post is silly. Of course there has been successful motor swaps of all kinds.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont own a porsche though i would love to, instead i own a volkswagen.... and im sure you know this but to clarify , the GT3 is watercooled.... your comment is verging on retarded Laughing

-Trevor
69 Fastback

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: