Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 porsche 914 subaru WRX engine swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
i dont own a porsche though i would love to, instead i own a volkswagen.... and im sure you know this but to clarify , the GT3 is watercooled.... your comment is verging on retarded Laughing
-Trevor
69 Fastback

I get it-- you said:

"Aircooled motors have many advantages over watercooled... too bad you "Dont quite get it" "

And I thought it was funny, because your favorite car is a water cooled Porsche of all things, lol. You know... flat... water cooled... like a flat 4 or flat 6 Subie. "Get it" now? Wink

Though I will not deny verging on retarded. You may have me there Laughing
daSCHISSnit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Let the guy do his swap. It's his car and he can do what ever he wants. This thread is starting to sound like the rants. I have the utmost respect for Jake Raby, but if everyone could afford one of his motors then everyone would have one (top quality costs top dollar) and people would have no need to do a swap, they'd just buy a MassIVe Motor.

Cohibra45 - I'm jealous. I would love to have that motor.

Post some damn pics of the swap already!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes my point DSF ... is that its a porsche motor and not some blasphemy to the holy stuttgart company ... to put a subie motor in a Porsche is like putting a chevy motor in a ford.... its just "Wrong" . The use of just the word RACIST is a mis qoute and your an ass for doing so... everyone has a favorite brand or two and well im highly loyal to the Porsche and Volkswagen names which makes me "brand racist".
My original complaint was with the fact that it wasnt aircooled with the underlying complaint of that it wasnt a genuine porsche/VW motor of which the 914 motor originates.a VW block with different Porsche heads for better flow and combustion and better balanced internals. the fact that you pick and chose what you try to make a mockery of only proves to me that you are a moron.
if i was 14 i would have added a gross amount of profane language to my replies as we've all seen on the samba before. I guess the only thing you grasp is your own ego. Grow up bud.

-Trevor
69 Fastback

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the idea, pleanty more power, with a lot more reliability. Also their is not that big of a weight difference, I would almost think that the WRX motor would weigh a little less, including the radiator! This swap is fairly simple, and I think if you did it right you would be pleased!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
I think if you did it right you would be pleased!

It's all gonna come down to that right there, all right. Super success or super disaster!
VWXTC4FREE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot seem to find heads for a reasonable price =/

66 deluxe wrote:
Besides have you seen the price of new heads for a suby, no thanks.

Like I said some have to learn the hard way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving aside any arguements about the rights and wrongs of fitting a Subaru motor to your 914, I just want to add that trying to modify your car like this is never going to be some kind of cheap or quick miracle fix. Rebuilding the car to orignal condition will always be easier, probably be cheaper, definitely be quicker to do and probably more reliable too.
vwblue1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen a few suby 914s around and i think they are cool...i want one..the targa top, the handling. and the wrx power it would make a super car-im lookin for one now the ej20 engines are super cheap with lots of reliable power.....i love the whole air coold thing its all ive ever had- but it fo sho wouldnt bother me to swap one out...if i could afford to build or buy a nice type IV i would-
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
( o\_/o )
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enikolayev wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "charachter"? The car not starting in the morning when its frosty? or about having to think 5 min ahead before passing on the highway?

Maybe i should go back to the horse and buggy, now that has character! and speaking of horse and buggy, what happens when your horse dies? do you leave the corpse (porsche) and try to revive it? or do you replace it with a new stallion (wrx)?

Perhaps you have never heard of the World Rally Championship... where the Subaru does especially well!

also, if you think so highly of the porsche motor, i will sell you mine! (its either that or the scrap yard)

will u quite calling it a PORSCHE ENIGNE its a type 4 vw not a porsche

the onyl porsche part on a 914 is the brakes and the body really. other then that is all vw Razz
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad most 914 parts don't fit any other VW's...yep, some of the parts were sourced from the VW parts bins but most came thru the VW parts manufacturing lines to keep costs down...and the 914 was assembled at a Karmann plant.

VW did sell out its shares of the VW/Porsche partnership to Porsche in 1974 so 914's did become all Porsche.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car would still be aircooled, even with the Subaru engine.

Any news on this swap? Any photos?
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building a flat 4 or 6 makes sense if you are going to use air cooling. If you are going to use liquid cooling it makes NO sense. I find it hard to get excited about some company if their engineering is so flawed. If you want to do a swap I think there are better motors out there. Some of the 60 degree V6's would make a cool swap.

My wife had a Fiero Formula with the 2.8 and it was a torquey motor that had plenty of power for the Fiero. Since the 914 would be a lot lighter the power to weight ratio would be even better. There are also OHC versions available. KEP has the adaptors.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or hell if you want a rediculous motor sticking up out of the cowlings try a vw VR6.... youll be top heavy like the toyota mr2, and Pontiac fiero and still have no power..lol . at this point if all you had to do was fabricate the brackets for mounting... build a stout little 2276cc type 1 or even smaller if you dont care about so much power.... full flow it , deep sump it and keep it tuned and you'd be good to go.... but thats just as expensive as many other swaps... im sure your whole point is about it being drivable without having to fudge with it...

-Trevor
69 Type 3 Fastback

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i´m right in saying that anything with a large modified or homebuilt content is generally going to be less reliable than something that a large company like Porsche has spent millions developing.

Just rebuild it stock if reliability is what you want.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James D wrote:
I think i´m right in saying that anything with a large modified or homebuilt content is generally going to be less reliable than something that a large company like Porsche has spent millions developing.

a large company called Fuji Heavy Industries has spent millions developing the Subaru engine...
roknrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Subaru swap Reply with quote

Let's all admit that Subaru has a great turbo engine package. When you see Toyota increasing their stake in Fuji Heavy (aka Subaru) you know they must recognize this as well.

Toyota To Raise Fuji Heavy Stake To 17%, Bolster Tie-Up
1 April 2008

The Nikkei reports that Toyota Motor Corp. will boost its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru vehicles, from 8.7% to around 17% by purchasing 64.25 million shares for roughly ¥30 billion (US$294 million).
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are prone to head gasket problems, but otherwise, I would agree they are a great engine
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
James D wrote:

a large company called Fuji Heavy Industries has spent millions developing the Subaru engine...

You´re missing the point.

I´m sure its a fine engine, its just that Fuji never spent a cent to make it fit in an old Porsche.

The motor is not the problem. Its the inevitable high content of homemade bits that will cause trouble, rattle loose, break and come apart.
roknrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Subaru swap Reply with quote

The combination of a lightweight 914 chassis, Porsche suspension/ brakes/wheels and Subaru turbo engine are a match made in heaven.

I'm an old school Porsche / VW guy, but we must face the facts here:

VW discontinued development of the air-cooled boxer 4 with the type IV.
That, my friends, was in the mid 1970's.

Today, you need 4 valves/ cylinder and water cooling to attain acceptable levels of power, emission contol and noise mitigation. This is in fact what you get with the Porsche Boxter and Porsche 996 and 997.

If the subaru engine had a VW logo on it no one in the world would dispute if it is legit to put in a 914.
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap Reply with quote

roknrol wrote:

Today, you need 4 valves/ cylinder and water cooling to attain acceptable levels of power, emission contol and noise mitigation.

My Bug has 30hp, and I find the levels of power, emission contol and noise mitigation perfectly acceptable!

roknrol wrote:

If the subaru engine had a VW logo on it no one in the world would dispute if it is legit to put in a 914.

Yes - "If".

Look - the guy is a student and seems to be looking for a cheap miracle cure for a blown engine. My feeling is that fitting a Subaru motor isn´t it. I´m sure it could be a great conversion - just probably not if you try and do it on the cheap. I can see it costing way more than rebuilding it stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: