Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2276 street engine dyno chart
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a FUN engine to drive. What kind of ignition are you running and what was the timing set at?
gerico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignition is a Mallory Unilite vacuum dist with the gray springs; Bosch blue coil & Bosch wires; NGK plugs. Ask Darren for the specific timing figures, I haven't checked them yet.
Jason at VW Paradise
Bill at Shear Speed
Kevin at KCR trans
CJG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerrico DRD has built 3 engines for me. Recent motor is a 2276 with 44x37.5 heads (044) and made 206 @ 6500 and the torque is unreal. Your motor is a true street motor. My motor is a weekend worrier with the close gear tranny. Good choice on the specs, Darren pointed you in the rite direction for your application. Have fun. Drive safe Very Happy
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

Nice engine combo. I made several of them for street and Glamis sand rails. More pluses about this combo is that it can pass the Arizona emissions test for 67-72 VWs 5% co and 450HC and has enough torque you can use the stock transaxle on the street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CJG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perrib, I see that you are from Mesa, I thought the 67 is ok now it does not need to have a emissions test, is this correct or hearsay?
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: emissions Reply with quote

As of last May when I sold the shop you still had to get an emissions test for a 1967 vehicle. The law may have changed since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Gurrola wrote:
This engine will give you guys a idea on what can be done today with the parts and resources avaible today.
The owner and builder of the engine wanted to build a street driveable engine to drive anywere and last a long time, not a 1/4 mile engine with a high maintenance plan, and short life, pick one of the two, game over.
His engine will never see the track and was never inteneded to see the track. It not hard to click off a timeslip at a track, but to make the engine and power train last is another story.

With the bigger 42X37.5v DRD L6 heads, the torque would come in at the same rpms, and build more torque over the power band. This is were years of experience, flow bench data and dyno data come into the game. Years of collecting engine data will help the engine builder select the proper parts to build the right engine for the a given application.
The power of this street engine is pretty common at our shop, our dyno reads on the lower end of the scale compared to most dynos around.

It"s a no frills build, with the proper head design, cam selection, and carb selection. Get these right, and you have a engine that has a very good VE and builds a solid torque band.

Job well done Gerry!

Darren, what size carb for the L6 with the 42mm intake valves assuming the same engine otherwise? Would you stick with the same cam?
DRD RACING HEADS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Darren, what size carb for the L6 with the 42mm intake valves assuming the same engine otherwise? Would you stick with the same cam?

Dual 44m webers work really good with the l6 42X37.5 head, I have seen more torque,and a tad over 170hp with the same engine combo.
Torque is were it's at, the more torque, the harder the engine pulls.

We sell What Works!
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM
Email [email protected]
Phone-714-545-4100
DRD Online Store
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM/Xcart/
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Gurrola wrote:
[Darren, what size carb for the L6 with the 42mm intake valves assuming the same engine otherwise? Would you stick with the same cam?

Dual 44m webers work really good with the l6 42X37.5 head, I have seen more torque,and a tad over 170hp with the same engine combo.
Torque is were it's at, the more torque, the harder the engine pulls.

Thanks for the response, Darren. So I assume there are no trade-offs going with the bigger heads (keeping everything else the same). I love my L3 heads and cant wait to build the big one Cool
turbo_bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a great RPM band, T/Q & H/P, looks like you have a well tuned engine and parts combo. There are no dips or humps, just a flat line T/Q across the driving range, and a climbing H/P line.
My turbo engine dyno graph mirrors yours from the 2500 to 6000 band too.
Warner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice flat torque curve! Darren built me more of a weekend warrior 2276 that makes 150+ foot pounds of torque from 3,000 - 7,000 rpm's, peaking at 176 foot pounds at 6,000 rpm's. The compression is set at 10.2 to 1, running custom DRD heads with 44/37.5 valves, a variant of the Webcam 86c, 48 idf's, Mallory unilite ignition system, custom 1 3/4" ceramic coated exhaust by Tiger at A1. I'm still working on the car so I haven't installed it yet, but there is a video of my engine making its dyno pull right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv5tHCukOo

Warner
OgCalLook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warner wrote:
Nice flat torque curve! Darren built me more of a weekend warrior 2276 that makes 150+ foot pounds of torque from 3,000 - 7,000 rpm's, peaking at 176 foot pounds at 6,000 rpm's. The compression is set at 10.2 to 1, running custom DRD heads with 44/37.5 valves, a variant of the Webcam 86c, 48 idf's, Mallory unilite ignition system, custom 1 3/4" ceramic coated exhaust by Tiger at A1. I'm still working on the car so I haven't installed it yet, but there is a video of my engine making its dyno pull right here:

Warner

Nice motor - You gotta be jonesin' to fire that thing and drive it around the block Very Happy

Barndoor Mafia wrote:

VIVE LE CUŅADO WEAR !!!!!!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306079
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warner wrote:

Warner

Sounds good . . . real good.
Warner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OgCalLook wrote:
Warner wrote:

Warner

Nice motor - You gotta be jonesin' to fire that thing and drive it around the block Very Happy

I AM! This project has been going on so long now that it's a little disheartening. Now I'm having to send my trans back to get a leak fixed. The shop that I got the trans from is handling it professionally so far so I can't really say anything bad about them....it's just one thing after another and more and more money going out. I'm sure the car will be VERY cool when it's done....it's just been a long road!

Thanks for the comment,

Warner
Warner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowroy wrote:

Sounds good . . . real good.

Thanks! I think so, too!

Warner
JRC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: building nearly the identical engine Reply with quote

Hey darren whats the timing specs. on gerico's engine i'm building an identical 2276 using your L5 heads and a C-35 cam, 40 dcn's w/ 32 vents and straight cut gears...............
DRD RACING HEADS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: building nearly the identical engine Reply with quote

The timming at full advance was 30 with no vac advance. With the vacum advance timming was 40 degees. The Final ARF was 12.9 I think.
You will a really nice street engine for sure.
Also to note, we will have some new heads comming out next year, based off a vw head casting, 1 set will be focused for max torque with street engines, and the second set of high output heads, designed to push the limits power on pump gas.
Good luck.

We sell What Works!
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM
Email [email protected]
Phone-714-545-4100
DRD Online Store
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM/Xcart/
wildman1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer combo, nice results. Cool

You will not be disappointed, not at all. Twisted Evil
gerico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another thing to be aware of, just because the power falls off on a 100% load on the dyno, dosent mean the power falls off, when the engine is in the car, the car will never put a load on the engine like a dyno will.
Daren is right.

Just an update for you guys. The ghia's been down for complete rewiring, new brakes/rotors, and a few other goodies. Never the less it has seen some street miles and I can say with 100% assurance that the power most definitely does not fall off at 5500rpm or even at 6,000. In fact the few times that it has seen 6,300 rpm it was still pulling HARD. Seems to pull as hard in the top end of 3rd as it does in first. Even managed to scare a few passengers Razz
Jason at VW Paradise
Bill at Shear Speed
Kevin at KCR trans
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Gerico, I'll be hitting the dyno in a few weeks, mines a bit smaller at 2176, with round ports, 8.5 comp, 120 cam and 40 Dells with 34 vents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: