Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Bigger engine Reply with quote

Hi guys.
As you might have guessed Im looking into building a bigger engine.

Ive been smashing my head against the wall last 2 weeks, cause I cant seem to decide. 1776-1915-1904-2054 or another combo.

My budget is round $3000. Remember I live in Europe and parts are more expensive over here. I have a lot of stuff inhouse already. For instance a nice low milage case, a set of standard heads, a set of heads 40x35 bored 90.5, a 69mm crank cut 0.25 under, c45 cam, 40idfs. I also have a type 4 1800 that might be worth looking into.

It 'll be going in my 68 bug. Im not looking into building a drag race car. However I do love to spin the tires from time to time to keep the rubber fresh. 1500miles max a year is what I cruize.Also Id like to keep my heater boxes. Belgium gets cold and damp and then I also like to pamper my wife.

Best regards
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

That might be too much cam for it, but it sounds like except for Pistons/cylinders you already have the makings of a stout 1776.

Do pamper the wife. I didn't do that job too well and now I'm in the wind lol.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

Stock heaterboxes = stock valves. So that is what you should go from then.
Stock heater boxes can support about 120 hp max. 110ish is better.
Get the stock heads overhauled and ported by someone who knows what he´s doing, and set them up for 9-9,5 CR. Get a Stage 1 pressure plate and get the stock rotating assembly balanced, buy a Web163 camshaft. with a set of 40 mm dual carbs and a decent exhaust you will be in the 110-115 hp range with a 1776
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Stock heaterboxes = stock valves. So that is what you should go from then.
Stock heater boxes can support about 120 hp max. 110ish is better.
Get the stock heads overhauled and ported by someone who knows what he´s doing, and set them up for 9-9,5 CR. Get a Stage 1 pressure plate and get the stock rotating assembly balanced, buy a Web163 camshaft. with a set of 40 mm dual carbs and a decent exhaust you will be in the 110-115 hp range with a 1776

Agreed with this advice.... ^^^
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

So no one is willing to discuss different power outputs.
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

You are kind of limiting your options with stock heater boxes, you can build a mountain of a motor and choke it out but why waste the money? Build a 1600 with the stock heads you have and a small cam (certainly not the C45), it will run pretty well with the 40's on it and call it a day. save the big valve heads for later or sell them to help finance the project. If you look hard enough you'll see people have modified their heater boxes to accept larger J tubes, do that and there's something to discuss.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

vandenabeele andries wrote:
So no one is willing to discuss different power outputs.

Alstrup, has answered your question. Look here for more info.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=435993

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

Just bolt a hair dryer onto what you are running now. There is more than one was to increase power.
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

AZOffTheWall wrote:
You are kind of limiting your options with stock heater boxes, you can build a mountain of a motor and choke it out but why waste the money? Build a 1600 with the stock heads you have and a small cam (certainly not the C45), it will run pretty well with the 40's on it and call it a day. save the big valve heads for later or sell them to help finance the project. If you look hard enough you'll see people have modified their heater boxes to accept larger J tubes, do that and there's something to discuss.

I will not build a smaller engine. My last build was a 1700 stroker. Id opt for bigger heater boxes. I never said Im going with the stock boxes. No one reacted.

I am opting 35mm boxes.

I will check the link however.
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

Decided on what I will build.

1835 E120 or 125 cr9.5 lightened flywheel using the dual spring 40x35 ported heads and the 40IDFs. The 35 boxes will flow plenty.

Last night I acquired a new case already opened up for 82mm. So I will prob build something even bigger.

Best regards
Machecoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

Ok.
So, if you don't follow Torben's advice, I'll take its combo. Wink
1776, ported 040 35.5x32, 40IDF70s, DH 1.3, CR 9.5:1, 1.1 rockers, 009, exhaust to be defined.
Is it safe to advance 2° the 163 cam with 9.5 CR or it will ping ( euro E5 98 octane)?
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. If a chef makes a cake and I come up with a slight diff recipe I get commented on.

You build your engine and tell me how it performs.

I will go as Alstrup suggested. Bore the carter to 96. But I did not opt for the 1775 cilinders. I found someone 30 miles away selling a brand new Mahle set for $150.
The Webcam is not supplied by my local supplier so I will have to go with a 120 engle. The heads I am still indicicive.

Ill post pictures as my build goes along. You post yours Machecoul.

Best regards
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. If a chef makes a cake and I come up with a slight diff recipe I get commented on.

I will go as Alstrup suggested. Bore the carter to 96. But I did not opt for the 1775 cilinders. I found someone 30 miles away selling a brand new Mahle set for $150.
The Webcam is not supplied by my local supplier so I will have to go with a 120 engle. The heads I am still indicicive.

Ill post pictures as my build goes along. You post yours Machecoul.

Best regards

Hi, I don't want to upset you, I'm just here to try to help Laughing .

But you have to admit it's kinda funny:

You: "hi, I have these parts, and this budget, and i want a good combo and keep the heating"

Alstrup: "here's a great little combo, 95% of the build is right there"

You: "ok, great combo, I'm going to do it, I'm just going to change the cam, the heads, and ccs.. and the heater boxes"

I say this in good spirit, I mean no offense. But it is kinda funny Laughing .

Alstrup gave you a combo with guaranteed result, and you decide to launch off into the unknown...

Again, all in good spirit.
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

Alstrup gave you a combo with guaranteed result, and you decide to launch off into the unknown...

LOL if a 1835 is launching into the unknown ... well then my Enterprise is going to be powered by it.

I dont know how much I veered off from Alstrups combo ... 59cc yeah thats it.

Alstrup, 59bug, modok etc are guys who I trust in engine advice. They dont upset me the least.

Indeed all in good spirit, but this made my day.
Machecoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

No problem Andries, I will. But now I'm busy with another project.
Have fun with yours.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger engine Reply with quote

BTW, hi flow heater boxes would work well I run them in my 2054cc bug in all but the coldest days. I live in the midwest too so it gets a lot colder than Belgium.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: