Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High beams don't work...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: High beams don't work... Reply with quote

After getting an alarm installed on my Thing... and going back FIVE times, because they kept screwing up the Thing's electrical system, my high beams do not work. I gave up on having the alarm place fixing everything. The high beams seem to be the last victim of the alarm install. Everything worked PRIOR to the alarm install.

In an attempt to fix the high beams, on my own, I installed a new head light relay... no high beams.

I replaced my fuse box (it was a wee-bit worn looking) no high beams. Oh, I must add that I was proud of myself for being seemingly successful at the fuse box replacement.

When I pull the turn signal arm there is no "click" sound at all. The turn signal unit is new. Other info... The turn signal "light" lights up on the left turn consistently, but only once on a right turn. My right rear turn signal/breaks/back ups are hard to see, which is why I have just ordered two new rear assemblies/lenses. I am guessing that this last paragraph has no relationship to the high beams... but one never knows.

Okay, Brain Trust, what do you think???

Thanks, ahead of time.
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure you have some kind of problem with the grounding. It would explain the temporary signals and the dim lights.

You need to check all the wires used for ground in the dash area as well as any other area the alarm installers may have touched. (brown wires?)
Also, the flasher and the signal relay all connect to ground where the actual flasher or relay 'hangs' on the metal in the back of the dash. If either flasher or relay is not hanging on the metal in the dash (it popped off) then that circuit is improperly grounded.
Also, check the ground and connections up by the turn signal and horn. If they are bad or have a bad ground, many things can act odd with the lights.

Also, the alarm people may have expected that red wires are positive and that black are gound - which is not true in the Thing wiring. You may also want to ensure they properly grounded the alarm wires to be sure they are not causing the problem.

If you use the headlight relay that worked before the alarm install you will be fine. If you use a new relay the wiring is different and it will not work for a different reason than the problem you are having now.
With a new relay you have to add a connection, and without it, you get the effect where the relay appears to not even click.

With the original working relay, do you get a click when you try to go to the high beams?

alg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take the time to look, what color wires are going to which components inside your dash? I can verify if it's hooked up correctly. My guess is the alarm guy had his hands in there and probably knocked some connectors off, then he hooked it back up how he thought it needed to be.......most likely wrong.

One thing to check is the plastic tab where the contacts are in the turn signal switch for the high beam function. If the plastic tab is broken, the turn signal stalk will not pull far enough back to engage the contacts for the high beam switch. This is one of those things where a picture is worth 1000 words, sorry I don't have a picture of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: