Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

CamBiscuit wrote:
Hopefully on the road with these shortly after I take the bus back to stock height and RGB's from low and IRS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those are beauties!

What size are they & which rims are those on?
CamBiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

They are 205/ 75 x 15's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdish2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

New look on the so36 flipseat dormy.

In the stash

1954 & 63 Vert
1956 Dove blue camper
(2) 1958 23w deluxes
1958 PGSG 11w og paint
1958 logo dd panel
1959 dove blue 11w
(5) 15w deluxes
(2) 1960,63,65 double cabs
1963 swr/bg 11w og paint
1964 limo bus 350 powered
1964 SO36 Dormobile flipseat Westy
1966 (2) so42’s og paint
1969 (2) porsche 912s
1969 dart swinger 340
(3) Porsche 911s sunroof,targa,cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

bigdish2 wrote:
New look on the so36 flipseat dormy.

that is very close to camping perfection. dormy top, flip seat, turkis, and big tires.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
CamBiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Fitted!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

CamBiscuit wrote:
Fitted!

Your bus looks great! I wanted to run those same tires but couldn't seem to get them in the 205/75 15 here in the states. Not sure why.

For reference here's a set of 215/75 15 BFG All Terrain on my Westy that is empty right now:

Same wheels/tires on my 67' camper:

These will eventually go back on my single cab with a slight lift. No doubt these are the largest tire you can run without a lift. More road testing soon. No rubbing though yet!

More pictures here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8169780#8169780
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Just received these in the mail. 6.70 x 15 and 7.00 x 15 bias ply tires manufactured by Power King. Total cost was $350 for all four shipped to my front door step.
Going to be mounted on my panel within the next couple of weeks.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

hope its a late model panel. Even then those 7.00-15s might rub. I'll be interested to hear because it will have a cool look vintage look if not. Good luck.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
hope its a late model panel. Even then those 7.00-15s might rub. I'll be interested to hear because it will have a cool look vintage look if not. Good luck.

Looks like he has a 63 panel.

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I have those same tires on my '61 Kombi. No rubbing and the tires go on and off easily. Wait until the IRS and BJ '68 beam go on. Twisted Evil

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Yeah, I was hesitant to order until I saw a 7.00 x 15 rear on both cru62's kombi and mightymouse's panel.
Figured if it would work on an earlier year it should be OK on mine.
I'll try them on the front as well, but I'm expecting rubbing issues.

Baby steps toward putting it back on the road...
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I just got back from road testing the BFG 215/75 15 All Terrains.

Cornering- nice and stable, tires don't want to fold over like passenger car tires.

Cross winds- Big improvement over the 195/75 14" passenger car tires. Easier to keep it going straight.

Acceleration- slower, but i expected this. 1st gear thru 3rd gear felt fine. 1st and second are great off road with the large tires.

Climbing a long grade on the highway with a decent headwind i was barely able to hold 4th gear where with the 195/75 14"'s i'm able to keep it in the sweet spot and keep my 62 mph easily.

The engine in this bus is a somewhat tired old GEX Shocked 1600 DP mystery motor from the 1990's Smile
I'm sure with a little more power it would overcome the 4th gear 'wall' i hit. Flat ground driving was a non issue in 4th gear.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Those tires look great on there oakman. You have me thinking I might need a set since they fit pretty nicely with clearance. Very Happy Weird my bus came with an older 90s GEX mystery motor. Not real powerful but just keeps on ticking along and it doesn't leak oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Those tires look great on there oakman. You have me thinking I might need a set since they fit pretty nicely with clearance. Very Happy Weird my bus came with an older 90s GEX mystery motor. Not real powerful but just keeps on ticking along and it doesn't leak oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill, i dig how they look too. I think the 215's are too much for the tired old motor in this bus though. I would like to try something in the 205/75 15 size, although most of what i see in that size are trailer tires. I have seen the 14" BFG AT 195/75 on a couple of buses and they look nice too. I may go that route on the 67' since it really does well with that size tire.
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:

Just received these in the mail. 6.70 x 15 and 7.00 x 15 bias ply tires manufactured by Power King. Total cost was $350 for all four shipped to my front door step.
Going to be mounted on my panel within the next couple of weeks.

I think I just found my tires. Love that combination. Perfect.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

which model are they? when i look for power king, all i see is trailer tires...
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/Highway/Bias%20Light%20Truck

Looks like super traction II and super highway LT to me...
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

https://www.tires-easy.com/6.70-15/power-king-tires/super-highway-ii/tirecode/WLD34

https://www.tires-easy.com/7.00-15/power-king-tires/super-traction-ii/tirecode/AUD36

Here are the links. For some reason they don't come up on the website, but if you google them they appear. Hopefully you'll receive two free 7.00 x 15s a couple days after your original order arrives like me...
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

So I have been reading and re-reading this thread the past week or so. Finally decided to I wanted the General Grabber AT in a 215/75 15, good looking tire with all of the right specs. I go the my local Les Schwab and the guy there says' we can get them but are you dead set on that brand Confused I think for a mili second and say NO, what do you have that is as good or better? He shows me these Maxxis Radial AT 751s and they have all of the specs we need for our buses and they look pretty good to me. They are a LT tire, with a 1764 Max load per tire, with a Load Range C rating and a 6 ply tire also. Just the short drive home from the tire shop and iam inpressed, first thing I noticed was how much better it seemed to steer, going on a short road trip this weekend, will check back in next week.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Another shot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Page 86 of 103

Jump to: