Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Perohaus ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Perohaus ? Reply with quote

Doesn't look Perohaus to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vw-Zwitter-oval-bug...0182221847
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2.

Ford Taunus clock in a repro grill.Definetly not Perohaus, more like a Romanohaus.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference would be about only about $700. I wonder why he is confused? Probably just an honest mistake. Rolling Eyes
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Perohaus Oval clocks, were wind-up, NOT electric.
I've had 3 or 4 of them, and they were all wind-up clocks, with the winder knob at the bottom of the clock face.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little different........... Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/334449.jpg
56ovwal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly it´s not a Perohaus, anyone can see that. Even Romano, but the name "Perohaus" sells, so....
Anyway, what´s the story about this clock ? As I´ve learned it is correct in an early Ford Taunus but is nowadays often sold as a VW-clock. Anyone has a picture of one in a Taunus ? Would it be correct in a Zwitter or Oval bug ? Or in other words, was it ever sold as an accessorie-clock to VW-customers in the late 50´s ?
I have had the electrical 6V clock in my modest "collection" and has the mechanical one at the moment. The one in the ad is a electric 6V "VDO", mine is a mechanical "Köhler" and sometimes I´ve seen them sold as "Jundes" ? Seems like the same story as with the Perohaus/VDO where the Perohaus is of higher quality ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56ovwal wrote:
Seems like the same story as with the Perohaus/VDO where the Perohaus is of higher quality ?

This has been said many times, that the Perohaus was a higher quality than the VDO clocks.
Can anyone substantiate this? I mean, VDO made these clocks for Perohaus. I don't believe that they had different movements at all.

The earlier Perohaus clocks for the VW's, did not have the step out bezel to allow for the fitting of a speaker as well as the clock.

These clock were sold as Ford clocks in the 50's and 60's, as seen in these catalogs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56ovwal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So VDO made the Köhler-clocks just like they also made the Perohaus ? Is Köhler to Ford-owners what Perohaus is to VW-owners ? A company with various accessories for the Ford market ? Or even the VW-market like for example GHE Happich ? Anyone who has a Köhler-cataloge ?
What about Jundes ? I sometimes see this in eBay- and TheSamba-ads selling theese clocks.
Just want to know the story about my clock...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisigly modest of Romano to only claim to be the #2 seller in the world. Wonder who he acknowledges as #1?

Quote:
Any questions,ask us the worldwide number 2 in vintage volkswagen parts and accessory!Ask [email protected]
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
Surprisigly modest of Romano to only claim to be the #2 seller in the world. Wonder who he acknowledges as #1?

Quote:
Any questions,ask us the worldwide number 2 in vintage volkswagen parts and accessory!Ask [email protected]

The original poster of this thread.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that guy rarely sells...................He just buys. Very Happy
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56ovwal wrote:

What about Jundes ? I sometimes see this in eBay- and TheSamba-ads selling theese clocks.
Just want to know the story about my clock...

Jundes is a 85 year old clock company that still exists today: www.jundes-kaiser.com
Maybe they can give you some information.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: VW Clocks Reply with quote

At Matt's Parts we only sell correct original oval grill clocks - just because the housing is 80MM does not mean it is a VW clock yet my competitors would have you think that. For some years now most clocks advertised on Samba and eBay are not correct clocks.

Two companies that I know of made correct clocks for ovals with clock faces that match the oval speedometer face: VDO and Kohler.

For Kohler, I have only ever had two. One I sold and one I still have. I also have a Kohler glove box clock with face matching the speedo faces.

VDO - the history as I know it.

The earliest oval grill clocks came out in 1952:--the glass was flat,
--the housing was the deepest so the face could sit lower in the housing held by 3 "long legs" suspended from the housing edge so that clock hands clear the glass
--Numbers and slashes on the faces could have a blue/green tinge to them as opposed to white of the later clocks.
--Hands painted either white or military brown
--Knob is longer than later version
--earlier production has date stamped into the housing. Some later production units are in tachometer housings.

The later versions:
--the glass was curved,
--the housing was shallower and the face is suspended by 3 "short legs" suspended from the housing edge
--the suspension by short legs concept was abandoned in later production units in favour of the face being held to the clockworks by 2 screws-just like speedo faces.
--Numbers and slashes on the faces are white.
--Hands painted either white or military brown
--Knob is shorter than earlier version
--Some have Perohaus at 6 o'clock and VDO at 12 o'clock and some just have VDO at 6 o'clock
--date usually ink stamped on back of housing.

All of the VDO-Perohaus clocks have essentilaly the same clockworks made by Kienzle (There are minor meaningless variances).

I do not know who made the Kohler clockworks but they are TOTALLY different than the Kienzle's in the VDO clocks.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....no comment....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=535099
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Clocks Reply with quote

The Kohler clock I have (and have had) has a face matching the VW oval speedo.

In the post above this message there is a link to a Kohler clock that is non VW. WE DO NOT SELL THESE at MATT'S PARTS.

Matthew Ross
56ovwal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clocks Reply with quote

Matt's Bug Parts wrote:
The Kohler clock I have (and have had) has a face matching the VW oval speedo.

In the post above this message there is a link to a Kohler clock that is non VW. WE DO NOT SELL THESE at MATT'S PARTS.

Matthew Ross

Could you post a picture of your Kohler-clock ? I don´t think I´ve ever seen one. The one I have is like the one in the ad IN2VW posted, in other words a non VW-clock. I think I paid like 40 Euro, 360$ seems.... well, not cheap Shocked
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Kohler oval grill clock-picture Reply with quote

Here it is: Kohler oval grill clock-picture

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=398091
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. First time I have seen one.
It looks nothing like the Ford Taunus clock.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
56ovwal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of theese Köhler-clocks appeared on German eBay recently :
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&r...amp;ih=009
I didn´t have the cash at the time and I honestly thought it would sell for alot more. I would prefer this Köhler-clock instead of the more known Perohaus just because the seems much rarer.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kohler also made desk clocks. I just scored this one. It looks like it was a give away item from a VW dealership.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: