Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Super Beetle - fix it up to sell?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should happen with the Beetle?
The heck with my brother; this is HIS problem!
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Why not? It's cheap enough and if you're smart it might be worthwhile
80%
 80%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 21

OldBayAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: '74 Super Beetle - fix it up to sell? Reply with quote

I'm going to try to be as specific as possible, so this doesn't turn into a generic "is it worth it to try?" question...

My brother has a '74 Super Beetle that's been out of commission for awhile, and is just sitting at his house (sans-engine). He won't get rid of it because it's in rough shape and he has a lien on it; doesn't want to pay off a car he has no use for (this is admittedly unethical on his part, I don't advocate it at all - but it is what it is).

ANYWAY, he's brought up selling it to me for real cheap (probably in the 300 dollar range) since I'm family and he would make an agreement to ensure he would take care of the lien. Here are some pictures of it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, I guess put yourself in my shoes: I'm undertaking a '66 restoration soon, and it may provide an opportunity for some low-stress practice (particularly heater channels, and floor pan welding) and possibly coming out a hundred or so dollars ahead when I sold it (just getting bodywork straight - no frills improvements to make it safe again).

On the other hand, it could turn into a financial blackhole, more work than I'm imagining, and could lose a whole bunch of money because Super's aren't that desirable to begin with.

Thoughts? I have access to a professional spray booth through my friend's job for only $15/day so that could cut down on costs. For engine, I could put in a bare stock 1600 to get it running.

Feel free to vote on the poll just for giggles...[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy it for $300, based on the pics. Need more pics to be sure.

Make sure your bro takes care of the lien before you hand him the cash. Ask to see the receipt of the paid off lien, and then call the lien-holder to confirm. After all, you shouldn't have to assume the lien. A clear title is the only way to go.
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldBayAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelwa2 wrote:
I'd buy it for $300, based on the pics. Need more pics to be sure.

Make sure your bro takes care of the lien before you hand him the cash. Ask to see the receipt of the paid off lien, and then call the lien-holder to confirm. After all, you shouldn't have to assume the lien. Clear title all the way.

Agreed. I would probably make payment directly towards the lien, not in his name and put something in writing.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not give him a dime untill he pay off the lein and has a clear title. Your Bro' will take the money and run if not cleared up first. Family will fuck you quicker then a stranger will.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Beaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others on the lien. May be a blood kin, but that's where the screw is driven twice as far. As for the bug, I'd love to jump at that kind of offer. As I first read on this forum, "Owning a bug is constant work, endless expense, and the most fun you'll ever have." It may take years, but that's the brass ring.
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it, but don't get screwed.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Super Beetle - fix it up to sell? Reply with quote

Ashortkid wrote:
I'm undertaking a '66 restoration soon, and it may provide an opportunity for some low-stress practice

That sounds like a reasonable assumption, but,
Ashortkid wrote:
possibly coming out a hundred or so dollars ahead when I sold it (just getting bodywork straight - no frills improvements to make it safe again).
is not. Why?

Ashortkid wrote:
because Super's aren't that desirable to begin with.

So the reality is
Ashortkid wrote:
it could turn into a financial blackhole, more work than I'm imagining, and could lose a whole bunch of money with.

It WILL be more work than you're imagining, and unless you plan to totally half-ass it, and already have the motor,,,,

And I agree w/ everyone else about your bro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I would not give him a dime untill he pay off the lein and has a clear title. Your Bro' will take the money and run if not cleared up first. Family will fuck you quicker then a stranger will.

God I love that sentiment especially during this holiday season, I'm going to get together with the family real soon and fuck them all out of whatever I can Very Happy

My real opinion? Super beetles are junk except for the parts which can be scavenged to fit beetles, busses and ghias.... Buy it part it out and who cares about the paper work... You and the brother have a keg party to celebrate... Very Happy

Jim-
73BuzzBomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

My real opinion? Super beetles are junk except for the parts which can be scavenged to fit beetles, busses and ghias.... Buy it part it out and who cares about the paper work...

Jim-

Well, you know what they say about opinions, right?
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty rusty...no motor ....and a brother with no money...300 is on the high side,but if you love him go for it
OldBayAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it a gut feeling, but I don't think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. Sure I COULD do it, but it takes time/money away from my '66,and the lien makes me nervous. It's a shame, because I think it'd be a good project too but I think I gotta use my better judgment on this one - thanks guys!
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least post up where its located or put an ad on the samba for it so somebody that does like supers can save that car.

10 years from now everybody will be kicking themselves for not buying project cars that nice and cheap, even supers.
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ANYWAY, he's brought up selling it to me for real cheap (probably in the 300 dollar range) since I'm family and he would make an agreement to ensure he would take care of the lien. Here are some pictures of it:

If you can go with him to the lein holder, see if the holder will sign it over to you at payoff. Wink

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldBayAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
At least post up where its located or put an ad on the samba for it so somebody that does like supers can save that car.

10 years from now everybody will be kicking themselves for not buying project cars that nice and cheap, even supers.

Well, it was up in the classifieds for awhile under my name - however, I wasn't aware of the lien. When I found out about it I was pretty mad. I took it off because I cannot in good conscience put a car up for sale that has a lien on it and possibly facilitate a bad deal for someone. If he ends up squaring up with the lien holder it'll probably immediately go back up here, but until then take comfort in the fact that it's at least sitting in a closed garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: