Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaaberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

What is the bigest tires I can put on my 1974 stock rim?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

eaaberg wrote:
What is the bigest tires I can put on my 1974 stock rim?

I'd say welcome to the forum but although this is your first post, you've been a member for more than a year.

This question of tire size has to be among the top 5 questions asked here, and you'd find loads of info if you did a search. I'm not merely being cheeky here. There is a bit of controversy about the largest size tire that will fit without any rubbing. There are lots of variables to consider. Stock ride height? Stock brakes? Stock beam? Stock fenders? Tired springs? And the only one you specified - stock rims. So there are lots of different opinions.

Have a go with the search function and let us know if you still have questions.
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest I have run on a stock THING is p225/75/14. I am not sure you can even get that tire any longer though.
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have these on stock rims, stock brakes, stock ride height etc...they are G78 X 14" which equates to about a little larger than a 215 metric radial. They work perfect. No rubs no problems. HOWEVER it will not fit in the trunk on your spare rim as it is just a tad too wide.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
eaaberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You klokard that is the info I was looking for. Those tires on your thing look totaly rad dude. How do they do in the rain?
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tires perform awesome on all road conditions.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they are G78 X 14"

What brand are they ? Your tires are really great, not sure I would have found those on my island but that's the look I want to have. By now, the best I found are Toyo's 195r15, as I bought 15' wheels. I thing I'll get them. Will post some pics as soon as I have them on the 181.

Quote:
This question of tire size has to be among the top 5 questions asked here

You're right Captain but if this question comes back again and again, it's because it's such an important one for our Things. The look and performance of a Thing is pretty much related to the tires, so this question could (should) become a sticky one day.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: