Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Bleeding
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
My brakes bled out fine after a short delay. My wife was pushing in on the clutch for the first 10 down, hold, up proceedures. We got no air or fluid from this and had a good laugh. This sticky has a lot of good advice including the links Glenn posted up front.

My suggestion to anyone who hasn't done brakes for a few years is to READ IT All. Start with Glenn's links and then everything else. Print out what you think you need and go over it. Check everything and be patient especially if your starting out with a completely dry system. If you don't have an error in assembly, it has to work.

Thanks,

Lou

Pushing the wrong pedal!!!! Been there Harris!!! Razz
That's great that you got your brakes bled properly. Very Happy
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Blue89baja Wrote:

Quote:
That's great that you got your brakes bled properly.

Thanks,

I was just lucky. Sometimes you think you've got everything right and it's not. I slipped through this time.
billybob57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 57 Beetle and i am bleeding my brakes tomm have read different ways to do it but.which way is right? Front to rear or rear to front?
I have a dual m/c
I installed disc brakes on the front
I have drum on rear
and if i start on the front do i start with pass or closest to m/c?

Thanks in advance Very Happy
Bill
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no difference Bill. Start wherever you want.

Did you install the calipers with the bleeders at the TOP?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Had to change out a faulty (new) brake switch after doing a complete brake job. Am I OK with just bleeding the front cylinders? Lost just a little pedal in the process.

Thanks
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris, in theory you shouldn't have to. If your reservoir is full you will just loose fluid.

Interesting that the switch just "went bad".

Jim
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Thanks Jim,

Mine is the single circuit '62 style and I didn't know if I needed to rebleed. The reservior is full. The new switch stuck holding my brake lights on after a few days of running. The old switch I put back in works fine, so I don't know. New parts these days doesn't necessarily mean good I guess. My master cylinder pushrod is adjusted correctly, so I know it's releasing pressure on the switch.

Lou

Last edited by Harris on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Been hearing a lot on the lists about new brake senders that go bad very quickly.
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Been hearing a lot on the lists about new brake senders that go bad very quickly.

Makes me wonder if either the contacts in the senders are weak and easily sticking due to inevitable arching and then finally sticking closed. Which turns on the brake lights.

Or some guys are not using the proper wattage bulbs and causing the above.

Unfortunately parts that are not genuine run a chance of being designed and mfg below VW's original specification..... Crying or Very sad

Jim
vw6740ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I have been reading this forum looking for an answer to my own brake bleeding problem. Beleive me you guys know your stull and have alot of good ideas. But I had a problem that could not be fixed with any of your remedies. I caused this problem with out my knowledge. The problem was that the push rod jam nut was run all the way out to the end of its threads which hit the back of the master cylinder making me think it was at the end of its stroke, when it wasn't. Just make sure the nut is turned back and tightened after adjusting. I literally put 5 m/c on this car before finding the problem. Before the problem was fixed it acked just like a bad m/c. Hope this will help someone in the future. Terry G. SW Florida
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw6740ford wrote:
Hey Guys,
The problem was that the push rod jam nut was run all the way out to the end of its threads which hit the back of the master cylinder making me think it was at the end of its stroke, when it wasn't. Hope this will help someone in the future. Terry G. SW Florida

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 5 Master Cyl's before you figured out that the Push Rod was way out of adjustment....

This is exactly the reason the BENTLEY says, " The rod is factory set and should not be adjusted!!!!

Who ever adjusted the nut all the way in shouldn't even be working on automobiles. If you don't understand the adjustment don't do it!!!!!

When checking the "freeplay" of the brake pedal there are 2 things you should be watching for...

1. Pedal to push rod movement. Bentley has the spec. Your looking for an allowed maximum movement....

2. Push rod to Master Cyl movement. Bentley has the spec. This is a very slight movement but you need to see something. When in doubt a little more is better.

Glad you got it fixed.....

You now can consider yourself a "master" master cyl installer!!!!

Jim
vw6740ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: 5 Masters Reply with quote

Yes 5 M/C, but initially the push rod wasn't the problem, it was bad reman cylinders, 3 of them. Don't buy remans, it isn't worth it. And your are right, I can change them fast now. The push rod jam nut was the problem on only the last 2 M/C. And the push rod is to be adjusted any time that the free play is incorrect, "SO" I left the nut run out who would of thought !!!!!!! obviously NOT me.............................

But thanks again guys, this forum was alot of help.

VW6740FORD
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Masters Reply with quote

vw6740ford wrote:
.... the push rod is to be adjusted any time that the free play is incorrect,

This is incorrect. The freeplay is adjusted by the pedal stop bracket on the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne collett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: bleeding brakes Reply with quote

1974 beetle cant bleed brakes, new pipes and wheel cylinders fitted new slave cylinder fitted, new hoses fitted , bled brakes for 6 hrs going round and round several times, am i supposed to do anything with the mc before starting anything else. ive even set up a pressurised sysfem and bled all the air out , tighten ed the bleed screws when the fluid flowing out, still no resistance on the pedal. what next. got no leaks. bled 20 times now. faulty mc do you think. have the brakes got to be adjusted up or down
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you lock up the drum brake adjusting stars??
Did you start bleeding on front axle first?
wayne collett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no didnt lock up drum stars, do you mean adjust right out so the drums dont move and i started at the rear
wayne collett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the handbrake have to be on or of , this is the first car ive ever done up.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-brake off.
Chock front wheels and jack up rears. Each wheel has two brake stars. Wind first star out till hard to turn drum. Adjust second out till totally lock the drum.

Then bleed front axle starting with bleeder farthest from MC.
Then bleed rear axle starting with bleeder farthest from MC.
Make sure the refill MC resevior before you bleed it dry or you have to start the bleeding from the beginning.
wayne collett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: brake bleeding Reply with quote

cheers will try that next. away for a week and its raining here
carlostam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: test Reply with quote

just testing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: