Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First aircooled. 1967 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi guys. This is officially my second post here. Hope im doing this right, if not help a brother out. I picked this beauty up in a trade recently. Best thing ive ever done. Got rid of all, well most, of my watercooled parts and have fallen in love with aircooled. Its a 1967 Beetle. Not sure on original color. Beautiful patina and character though. It definitely tells a story. As far as i know its original body and pan, maybe a few panels replaced over time. Original engine. Its got the awesome vent windows as well. It does have a bastardized deck lid but i kind of like it. It ran and drove when i got it and i since have gotten it running and driving better. 45k original miles from what i can tell. I have a reciept from colorado at 43k, previous title with 45k and odometer matches. I take it out once in a while for some fun drives. I definitely have alot more to do but mostly just a good going through. I will be lookin for parts and pieces sp if i can get some direction that would be great, im very new to forums, and no longer have social media. The interior will be the biggest project. Well im rambling so here she is, Rosa.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

OG color was VW Blue. '67-'68 only color and one of the greatest VW offered blues IMHO.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Sincerely doubt it’s 45k, more likely 145k or 245k. Odometers are only 5 digits so they roll over. If it’s only 45k they were some seriously rough miles.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

That's very possible. Ive had quite a few 5 digit cars. But the engine runs incredible and appears to have been in great shape. I feel as though it just had a rough life in crappy areas, and bad storage. The interior was definitely hit hard by animals and likely gutted at one point. But that's just my opinion. Either way i love it.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Snap some close ups of the engine. Specifically below the generator stand. Hard to tell in the pics but the serial number looks to possibly be filed off. Typically indicates a rebuild. Might explain why it runs well. Either way, cool car.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Ill get some pics tomorrow. Too much rain to run to the garage tonight. Definitely a,serial number though. From what ive found and was told its original to the car. Im certain at the very least its a 67 engine. Thanks. Id love to keep learning more. Ive dreamt about owning a beetle for a long time.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

That looks like a wonderful canvas, plus it's a 67 so that's a bonus Cool
What are your plans for it? Have you checked for rust in the usual spots? ( floorpans, heater channels, bottoms of doors)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice car. Enjoy it.

There's a cool club for people with 67's on here.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
That looks like a wonderful canvas, plus it's a 67 so that's a bonus Cool
What are your plans for it? Have you checked for rust in the usual spots? ( floorpans, heater channels, bottoms of doors)

Its an incredible canvas. Im really stoked on the 67 factor. Have started to notice people really like them haha. My plans are simple. Revamp all suspension, steering, and do any seals on engine i need to. Im going to lower it and leave it looking like it is. I havent decided on clear coat or not yet. There is some rust in thr pans and heaters but not terrible. Its all fixable at a later point. Heat is amazing in it too lol.
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Nice car. Enjoy it.

There's a cool club for people with 67's on here.

Thank you! Ive posted in the 67 registry. I enjoy it immensely already. I cant wait to have a nice interior and just cruise.
gavonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Congrats! It looks cool. We recently bought our Beetle (a '63) & we are in CT - Danbury area.

Not new to air-cooled, but new to Beetles. Maybe we'll see you around...

'63 sedan
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

gavonder wrote:
Congrats! It looks cool. We recently bought our Beetle (a '63) & we are in CT - Danbury area.

Thanks and congrats to you as well. Id like to start meeting more people. Im the one into vw but its rubbing off on my wife. Type 3 is next
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Definitely looks a little rough, but if it's solid and runs, that's what matters to me.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

The vents in the deck lid performs a purpose and is not just for looks.

When big CC engines are installed with big dual carbs, the stock vents cannot flow enough air to feed the fan at high rpms, and the demand for the hungry combustion. After all an internal combustion engine is a air pump. Sometimes the suction is so great you can see the deck lid try to suck in when the engine is reved.

This can cause overheating, lean air/fuel mixture at high rpms, and melted pistons.

So if it is the original engine, I would bet someone pulled it out, set it aside, dropped in a big high hp engine and flogged that puppy. When it came time to sell, pulled the big engine and reinstalled the low miles original.

But it's just a theory and I'm bored recovering from back surgery, and have good meds.

Anyway welcome to the world of aircooled. Be careful, these cars have a strange habit of spawning friends in your driveway or garage. It's hard to have just one.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

The stock decklid works just fine with a big engine. What makes an engine run too hot is how it was built. And what parts were used.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
The stock decklid works just fine with a big engine. What makes an engine run too hot is how it was built. And what parts were used.

Sure to 3k.. But I don't want to hijack this guy's thread with a disagreement on air flow. With the stock engine he will have no problems flowing air, but maybe with rain.
gavonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

RattyFab wrote:
gavonder wrote:

Thanks and congrats to you as well. Id like to start meeting more people. Im the one into vw but its rubbing off on my wife. Type 3 is next

That's funny, I've always been into 911's, but it was my wife that wanted the bug!

'63 sedan
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice going finding a reasonably solid Beetle in New England.

Don't let that lic. plate fall off!

As to lowering the car, it appears as though the front is already slightly lowered based on this photo. I would recommend bringing the rear down slightly so that the car is level. Next chance you have, if you could take a photo of the car outside that shows the entire side, it could help us assess the ride height.

I agree that the original color was VW Blue. The original interior color would've been platinum, which is white with a slight light grey tint to it. Would be a very attractive combination. Here's a color chart: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

You also have correct 1967 slotted wheels. Original factory color scheme on the wheels was cream outer section; grey-black centers. Here's a shot of an original '67 in your color where you can see those wheel details. Note that the hubcaps are different than '68 and later due to a different retaining system, and are a 2-year only design shared with the '66 Beetle. You could repaint the wheels in a weekend using spray paint cans.

For more local VW contact, try the Connecticut VW Association- really good group- http://www.ctvwa.org/index1.php?center=center/home.html
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Definitely looks a little rough, but if it's solid and runs, that's what matters to me.

It looks a little more rough than it is but i enjoy that. With some love on the interior and some more mechanical going through it will be perfect (to me)
RattyFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: First aircooled. 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
The vents in the deck lid performs a purpose and is not just for looks.

When big CC engines are installed with big dual carbs, the stock vents cannot flow enough air to feed the fan at high rpms, and the demand for the hungry combustion. After all an internal combustion engine is a air pump. Sometimes the suction is so great you can see the deck lid try to suck in when the engine is reved.

This can cause overheating, lean air/fuel mixture at high rpms, and melted pistons.

So if it is the original engine, I would bet someone pulled it out, set it aside, dropped in a big high hp engine and flogged that puppy. When it came time to sell, pulled the big engine and reinstalled the low miles original.

But it's just a theory and I'm bored recovering from back surgery, and have good meds.

Anyway welcome to the world of aircooled. Be careful, these cars have a strange habit of spawning friends in your driveway or garage. It's hard to have just one.

Thanks for the insight. I have a few theorys on it as well. Who knows. I sure wish this car could talk. If only it would just "spawn" some friends haha. Im already on the hunt for more. Its been a dream of mine for a long time, just got stuck in the watercooled scene.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: