Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original pinstripe
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Original pinstripe Reply with quote

alright ive searched a few different key words and have failed to come up with a definitive answer.

did early kombis only come with one white pinstripe on the beltline bulge only? i have seen some early standard with a stripe on the beltline and beneath.

what is the approx width of the stripe and how high is it above the lower beltline/body crease?

thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dove Blue had a single white pinstripe only.

I found one thread where you can see an example:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256458

Unfortunately I don't have a Bus to measure for you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine measured at about 1/4" from the bottom of the belt-line crease, to the bottom of the pin stripe. The pin stripe is about 1/8" wide.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help since I have a standard...

I have mine measured 1/2 an inch from the beltline crease to the top of the pin stripe and the stripe is 1/8.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!

gotta pull out my long sword striper.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^ Goddamn Mr. Shakes was on the job that day!!!! Jesus. Shocked
SBS #00
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an original paint 57 kombi I picked up earlier this year. It has the strongest pinstripe I've seen on a dove blue bus:

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not trying to discredit you, but that white stripe looks AWFULLY suspicious. The stripe is too high on the belt line, and EVERY original paint bus I have seen has the stripe worn off long before the paint underneath it. How is the stripe still present where the blue has faded off to primer on the nose and passenger side?

can we get some close up photos of the stripe? size? brush strokes? Even on Gibbs' standard shown above that has EXCELLENT original paint, the pinstripe is wearing off, showing thickness variations.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pop quiz, does anyone know what color paint code the white pinstripe was on dove blue kombi's?? I was looking through some of the vintage paint literature (Thanks Lenny Copp!) and I noticed it shows, what I believe to be the pinstripe color (possibly early only?). The interesting part is what looks to be dealer handwriting refering to it as L80 which is not on any color charts I have seen. It also looks like more of blue/grey. Or is it all a big misunderstanding and it's really L82 Silver white?

The same literature calls out all the other colors correctly including the colors for the two tone grey L22 /L23 (L23 is also not on the chart!) I am not sure which numbers on this one is refering to the pinstripe. 304? L103? (sp?)

If anyone has more info on this I would love to hear it! It also reinforces that panels did not get the pin stripe

Last edited by Kommercial on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the super low mileage (1,200 miles) 57 kombi I looked at had a perfect pinstripe. When looking at the nose near the bumper, the stripe and the bumper ribs looked identical. Are dove blue pressed bumper ribs Silverwhite? If so, I would say that particular bus had matching bumper/stripe paint.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Hmm, not trying to discredit you, but that white stripe looks AWFULLY suspicious. The stripe is too high on the belt line, and EVERY original paint bus I have seen has the stripe worn off long before the paint underneath it. How is the stripe still present where the blue has faded off to primer on the nose and passenger side?

can we get some close up photos of the stripe? size? brush strokes? Even on Gibbs' standard shown above that has EXCELLENT original paint, the pinstripe is wearing off, showing thickness variations.

Well, not knowing much about the bus's first 50 years anything could have happened.

First thing to note is this is a South African bus, made in Hannover and assembled in SA. It would have been painted in SA, so maybe the local pinstripes were placed slightly differently.

This is also the only pinstripe era dove blue bus I have seen where the pinstripe was not worn out before the blue paint, but I had always thought the stripes wore off because of polishing, not UV damage. I'd guess that the dove blue is more susceptible to UV than the white pinstripe.

The person I bought the bus from said he found it in a scrapyard in a semi-desert area of SA. It had been completely stripped for parts many years ago and was in use as the scrapyard owner's "office". The guy I bought it from had also owned it for many years, but he kept it under cover.

I'll take some close-up pics in two weeks time when I will be back home after another road trip. I very much doubt the pinstripe has ever been touched up and I'm satisfied it's original. I'll also take some comparative pics of another 57/58 dove blue bus to compare the position of SA pinstripes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fig,thats a very cool bus,but that pinstripe is well......seriously suspect,why is it as clear as day even where the dove blue is gone? the only answer i can come up with that makes it the original untouched pinstripe is that the pinstripe paint on that bus is a different compound of paint.....very cool bus though,i can get a pic of my wolfsburg 56 kombis pinstripe if'n ya need sled
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
fig,thats a very cool bus,but that pinstripe is well......seriously suspect,why is it as clear as day even where the dove blue is gone? the only answer i can come up with that makes it the original untouched pinstripe is that the pinstripe paint on that bus is a different compound of paint.....very cool bus though,i can get a pic of my wolfsburg 56 kombis pinstripe if'n ya need sled

Something else to note: the rearmost cargo door is not original to this bus, as the original was removed when it was in the scrapyard, and you can see the current rear cargo door is more heavily weathered than the rest of the bus. BUT, the "new" door still has a pinstripe that is stronger than the remaining blue. I stand by my theory that pinstripes wore away from polishing, not UV damage.

hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about some close up shots then?.............
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
how about some close up shots then?.............

I'm as intrigued as you all are. But, as I said, I'm about to leave on holiday and I won't see this bus for the next few weeks.

I'll take close-up pics when I'm back. In the meantime, keep this thread alive until then. Very Happy

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 53, also a desert bus, it's bare metal in areas and you can still see the pinstripe. there are three types of paint. the primer, which seems to be the toughest paint, the cellulose paint which is the weakest and the striping paint which, my guess is lead based enamel.

i'm with fig in that the stripes wear off due to polishing.

not the best picture of the stripes because i took this picture to show the difference of exposed and not exposed areas but you can see a glimpse of the pinstriping. i'll look for a better picture later.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another South African pinstripe 57/58 kombi. Most of the pinstripe is worn away, but there's a section on the lower nose where the stripe is strong over a patch where the paint has worn down to primer.

I will get close-ups of this as well when I'm back.

fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, here are the most detailed pics I have of the pinstripe:

The cargo door on the right is not original to this bus; its pinstripe is also strong over badly weathered dove blue:

Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8k miles og paint Kombi for reference from the gallery

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: