Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeway Flier???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Freeway Flier??? Reply with quote

I have seen ads in VW mags for a "Freeway Flier" transmission. Would putting one of these in my 74 Thing provide a more "Bug-like" performance, and better mileage?

Thanks.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The reason your car is slower than a Bug on the highway is that it is an aerodynamic brick.
Taller gearing will make your mileage worse, not better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, this topic has been kicked in the teeth many times. I personally have the data to back up what I claim here. During my pan off restoration of my 181, I had Super Beetle gearing put in my 181. No change in the R&P. My mileage increased by almost 2 MPG and my oil temp was reduced as well. I now can cruise on the FWY at 65 MPH and keep the oil temp below the pre set point of my Gene Berg oil temp dip stick. This was not possible before with stock gearing.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- - - Install one or don't, but DO NOT be fooled into buying a "Freeway flyer". A late model Beetle trans IS a freeway flyer. Also the late Beetle trans mostley drops right into a Thing. You have to change the nose cone and the drive flanges.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Thing trans is already a "freeway flyer" as it has 4.12 ring and pinion. On some late IRS trans in super beetles you could find what is considered "freeway flyer" today : the 3.88 R&P. Most of the early bugs (swingaxle or IRS) had 4.37 R&P. So a 4.12 is sort of a "freeway flyer". This combo works very well with a Thing, as you need short 1st and 2nd gear if you wish to go a little bit off road, but the 4.12 is still very driveable on freeways. Don't forget that the early 181's made in Germany had 3.88 R&P on swingaxle trans BUT with the reduction boxes !! Top speed on freeways was then really slow compared to the IRS without RGB's. I had several of these, top speed in 4th : 55-60 mph !

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, USA spec "Things" had a R&P of 4.125 and the late Beetles had a R&P of 4.375.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
and the late Beetles had a R&P of 4.375.

No they didn't.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, my bad, wrong line in the book and it should be the final drive ratio listed above
. . . 4.375 (to 1) was only for the 1970 Beetles
. . . while 1973 and later Beetles had a final drive ratio of 3.875 (to 1)
. . . and '73 '74 USA spec Things had a final drive ratio of 4.125 (to 1)

Better?
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard wrote:
... I had Super Beetle gearing put in my 181. ..

What is your definition of "Super Beetle gearing"?
71 and 72 Beetles and Supers had a 4.12 R&P with
73 and later Beetles and Supers had a 3.88 R&P with

A US spec Thing had a 4.12 R&P with

If you put the 4 forward gears from a 73 and later Beetle into your Thing gearbox, the overall gearing is identical in all gears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
sorry, my bad, wrong line in the book and it should be the final drive ratio listed above
. . . 4.375 (to 1) was only for the 1970 Beetles
. . . while 1973 and later Beetles had a final drive ratio of 3.875 (to 1)
. . . and '73 '74 USA spec Things had a final drive ratio of 4.125 (to 1)

Better?

Closer! Beetles (The US spec ones) had a 4.125 R&P from 1967-1972. Laughing

- Scott

P.S. When I bought a rebuilt transmission for my Thing, I had them use a 4.37 R&P and 0.93 4th since I will be using 29" tires. Mathematically, the gearing still ends up a little "tall", but the bigger engine should counteract that. Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny, the Orange Bentley disagrees with you. Just so we're clear the size of the R&P is NOT the final drive ratio in forth, the ratio @ forth gear comes into play and VW changed forth gear from time to time.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
funny, the Orange Bentley disagrees with you. Just so we're clear the size of the R&P is NOT the final drive ratio in forth, the ratio @ forth gear comes into play and VW changed forth gear from time to time.

Then the Bentley has a typo. (It's been known to happen.) Here's what VW's literature says about MY1970 transmissions:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the Bentley employs poor wording for the last four lines of Table VI. It's obvious from the numbers that by "Final drive", they really are talking about the R&P, not the combined figure. A 1973 Beetle with a 0.93 4th and 3.88 R&P would have a final drive ratio of 3.61, for instance.

Can I put away my e-peen yet? Laughing

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
funny, the Orange Bentley disagrees with you.

I confirm what Scott posted. A 70 Beetle with a 1600 has a 4.12 R&P. Mr Bentley is wrong. I have been inside a few 1970 gearboxes, they have the same gearing as 67-72 cars.

Here are the rules VW set for gears.
1200cc and 1300cc engines got 4.37 R&Ps
1500cc and 1600cc engines got 4.12 R&Ps up to 72. After that it was 3.88. (also, post 72s got a shorter 4th gear to compensate for the taller R&P)
Unpublished by Bentley is any info on Type 181s. 73/74 Things got a 4.12 R&P with the same forward gears as post 73 Beetles.

VW sold Beetles in other countries with engines not seen in the USA. For example, most Euro Supers had a 1300cc dual port engine. Applying the rule above, the car had a 4.37 R&P.

The only exception to these rules are Mexican Beetles. 1600s with short 4.37 R&Ps.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get for reading, and not doing Embarassed
I refuse to open VW transmissions, it helps that my local re-builder is VW only and awesome
I'm aware that the bently's don't cover 181's, I thought we were talking about Beetle trannys
And I did say 181's had a 4.125
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only exception to these rules are Mexican Beetles. 1600s with short 4.37 R&Ps.

That is not absolutely true. I totally agree with the rules you mentioned. I personaly had for example super beetles (1302-1303) with 1300cc dual port, 4 drum brakes and 8X35 (4,37 R&P) trans. I also had supers (in Europe they were called 1303S or LS) with 1600cc, front discs and 8X31 (3,88 R&P). BUT there was some other exceptions : in Ireland, VW built a standard beetle (called either 1200 or 1300 in Europe) with a really weird combo : 1200cc engine, 8X31 (3,88 R&P) swingaxle trans. There was also special models like the "speciale Belgique" or "opération corail" or the "Fun bug" with 1600cc engine and 8X35 (4,37) (mostly swingaxle) trans. In fact, in the '70's when it slowly became more difficult for VW to sell beetles, they made a lot of limited series with sort of "sport" equipments, or special colors, special combos. They were particularly trying to sell these cars to young people and trying to make them more attractive. The rule you mention established by the factory in wolfsburg was broken by the plants in Belgium, Ireland, South Africa, just to sell more VW's.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richtrek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Yikes! Reply with quote

You guys know too much!!!! I wish there were more Thing owners in the area to learn hands-on from.

So, on my 74 Thing what is the likely gear ratio? Could it be identified by the Things' serial number? I believe it is stock. Would there be an upgrade that could produce better hwy mileage?

Thanks,

Rich
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, crawl under your car and have a look at the trans code. Here it is:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248742

Originally the code should be AV. This means you got a 4.12 R&P with:

VW isn't stupid when they pick gears. Lots of testing is done. Since your car is an economy car, if they could have gotten better mileage with a simple gear change, VW would have built it that way. Taller gears slow down the cooling fan. Compared to a Beetle, your Thing must make more hp to push it through the air on the freeway. By gearing it slighty shorter, the cooling fan is a bit higher, so it can cool better.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
VW isn't stupid when they pick gears. Lots of testing is done. Since your car is an economy car, if they could have gotten better mileage with a simple gear change, VW would have built it that way.

I totally agree with this. But even though I apply this to myself, I can understand Rich wanting better hwy mileage. And as he ask :

Quote:
Would there be an upgrade that could produce better hwy mileage?

I would say this : I think that a 4.12 R&P with 0.89 or maybe 0.82 (like in type3's trans) 4th could help. But you'll have a hole between 3rd and 4th and will need a good engine to pull this. You'll get lower RPM on Hwy's and so better fuel economy. You could also gain in top speed ( a few MPH). BUT, the real question is : is it worth it. A custom trans is not free. How many years/miles will you need to drive to make it worth the investment ?? IMHO, stay with a 4.12, don't go with a 3.88. 3.88's are perfect for beetles or ghias, but not on a Thing. I have a friend, Manx buggy owner. He wanted less RPM for the noise and not changing gear all the time. He wanted a 3.88, I tried to make him understand that a 4.12 would suit better his needs and his combo (235/75R15 rear tires). He still installed a 3.88 and soon did regret. He now wants to get closer gears on his 3.88 (3rd and 4th). 4.12 is the best you can get, just play with the 4th gear if you really want to change something.
What do you think Bruce ?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never liked the 3.88 in any VW. For years I used to switch from one car with a 3.88 to another with a 4.12 and always, the 4.12 was nicer to drive.
If you must have taller gearing, I recommend a .89 4th gear. To drop in a .89 to a SSC AV Type 181 gearbox, you must get it from a 1975 Bus gearbox. (BTW, the .82 4th gear only came in Bus gearboxes, never a Type 3) The gap between a stock 1.26 3rd gear and a .89 will not be intolerable since VW built plenty of cars with that combination. A 1.26 3rd and .82 4th will make for a pretty big gap.
If you had a bigger than stock engine (c. 100hp), then I would recommend the .89 4th gear. This is what Greg at German Motor Works does so his customers can keep up to traffic in So Cal. But with a stock engine, the taller gear increases the load on the engine. If you have lots of hills where you live, the stock .93 is the way to go.

There is always a trade-off when you go with taller gears. Acceleration gets slower, hill climbing ability gets worse. Since the load on the engine is increased, it will run hotter. You should be able to cruise comfortably at 60-70 mph (100-115km/h) with no problems with stock gears. How much faster do you need to go?
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(BTW, the .82 4th gear only came in Bus gearboxes, never a Type 3)

Yes, my bad, type3's came with 0.89 and super beetles with 3.88 came with 0.93 4th. But (I checked) there was a 0.82 somewhere else than on buses. The 181 with swingaxle had a 0.82 4th with 3.88 R&P but with reduction boxes (AK and AL trans codes, with 3.80 1st, 2.06 2d, 1.22 or 1.26 or 1.39 3rd and 082 4th).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: