Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*Update* New information on Aero Papyrus material
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sy_kate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: *Update* New information on Aero Papyrus material Reply with quote

On the orig aero papyrus seat covers were there heat welds or tucks sewn into the white part? I've looked in the gallery but can't tell from the pictures. Also do the heat welds or tucks go all the way from top to bottom of seat or just part of the way. Thanks Kate

Last edited by sy_kate on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a large piece aero papyrus rear seat upholstery (just the white part). I'll check it out and maybe get some pix over the weekend.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,

Just looked at a seat yesterday.....the pleats are heated, not sewn. They stop about 2 inches from the skirt/piping.

I hope that helps.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
sy_kate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the help, thanks Kate
Firecrusader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have something in the works??

Are you, or a upholstery shop trying to repop these with the correct color materials ??
sy_kate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an extensive search for either the orig or a close match to the aero papyrus interior, I have found what I think is the closest match I'm going to find without having a custom run done. Here is what I have found
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The biggest problem with this (or any other vinyl) is that vinyl generally comes in a 54" width, and full width seats, like mine are 57" or 58" plus a seam allowance. The vinyl has the ribs running down the length of the roll of fabric. So in order to have the full seat covered either a seam has to be made (not so good). Or you could do an insert, sort of like what my seat has now, but of the same fabric, not a contrast

Let me know what you think of the match. I think it looks pretty good, although not the orig but much better than what I have now. I will be happy to let you know the supplier, after I place my order. Smile
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white looks nice.....just need to screenprint those blue lines in the grooves.
Walk Thru KO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many folks would be willing to chip in some $ to have a custom run of an exact match of the Aero papyrus material manufactured?
Firecrusader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty close, as close to anything I have been looking at.

As far as interest, I am interested in a very nice close match. I just ordered TMI Mesh Grey/Grey seat covers and panels through WW and payed $1600++ Shocked

Let me know
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk Thru KO wrote:
How many folks would be willing to chip in some $ to have a custom run of an exact match of the Aero papyrus material manufactured?

"Exact match" would be a subject of debate in my opinion unless you are using an original NOS seat cover that has never seen the light of day or been exposed to elements. I have seen the OG color vary from bus to bus. A few attempts at color matching off used material resulted in an off color which leaned more toward Aqua/Green and then to the metallic Steel Blue type color. I have OG Aero Papyrus interior and even mine has subtle color tone differences and faded in various areas. Someday I will need to re-do mine so I would still be interested in pursuing an "exact match" or damn close in the future.

Lenny at WCC made a run of material for A/P replacements but his version is too Blue and not very close to OG. He did say that if I give him a small piece of my "clean/solid/unfaded" material as a sample, he could look into it deeper or possibly have it made if it was really close. Luckily, I do have some small pieces of spare material in both the A/P and ribbed White that I need to clean up and examine to see if its worth using as a potential match. Problem is, who's current fade/color should be the benchmark for bulk repro material? I'm still in the opinion that a true match will only come from someone's attic seat or NOS cover. Either way, its going to expensive to say the least. Heat laminated !!!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your material looks as good as any I've seen available.
Since you probably can't do heat seams anyway, I'd just hide the sewn seam by sewing in pleats. If you get a good shop to sew them, you'll never tell the difference between the pleats and the seam.
You could even do the asymetrical pleat pattern like the earlier seats to hide the seam even more.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sy_kate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the seats, with asymetrical seams?
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: re aero papyrus Reply with quote

The 2 rear seats on my bus were covered their entire bus life. I will dig em out and take photos - tho cant see myself taking any material from them!
Would of course be interested in any repro that is close as I need to recover the drivers seat!

Steve
Walk Thru KO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiko wrote:
Walk Thru KO wrote:

"Exact match" would be a subject of debate in my opinion unless you are using an original NOS seat cover that has never seen the light of day or been exposed to elements. I have seen the OG color vary from bus to bus. A few attempts at color matching off used material resulted in an off color which leaned more toward Aqua/Green and then to the metallic Steel Blue type color. I have OG Aero Papyrus interior and even mine has subtle color tone differences and faded in various areas. Someday I will need to re-do mine so I would still be interested in pursuing an "exact match" or damn close in the future.

Lenny at WCC made a run of material for A/P replacements but his version is too Blue and not very close to OG. He did say that if I give him a small piece of my "clean/solid/unfaded" material as a sample, he could look into it deeper or possibly have it made if it was really close. Luckily, I do have some small pieces of spare material in both the A/P and ribbed White that I need to clean up and examine to see if its worth using as a potential match. Problem is, who's current fade/color should be the benchmark for bulk repro material? I'm still in the opinion that a true match will only come from someone's attic seat or NOS cover. Either way, its going to expensive to say the least. Heat laminated !!!

OK granted Exact Match is going a bit far but I bet there are many forum members that would love to have a "Very Close Match and better that they have ever been able to fine before, match" of this material!!!

j.pickens wrote:
Your material looks as good as any I've seen available................

I agree. A lot of people have tried unsuccessfully to match the Aero papyrus and what Kate has found thus far looks real good and I believe she is going to pursue a 'custom run' with a contact she has for an even better match!!! Keep up the work Kate!!
Walk Thru KO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Aero Papyrus / Steel Upholstery Material - UPDATE!!! Reply with quote

Update..........

OK I need a commitment from some folks here. I have found an american manufacturer that will work with me to reproduce both the Steel and the Aero Papyrus material in a very accurate copy, my contact says that he will be able to do an exact match.

All you fellow veedubbers who have wanted to get the Aero papyrus White/Steel Blue reproduced for the '66 - '67 Sea Blue/Cumulus White buses this is our chance!!!

What I want is an idea of how many folks would purchase the bulk material if it were available in this very accurate match.

Approximately, it takes -
Seating Upholstery:
(5) yards of the solid Steel material and (3) yards of the striped Aero Papyrus material to do a complete set of seats.
Interior Panels:
(6) yards of the solid Steel material and (4) yards of the striped Aero Papyrus material to do a complete set panels.
Total for a complete bus interior resto:
(11) yard of the solid Steel
(7) yards of the striped Aero Papyrus

Please, let me know how many yards you would probably purchase assuming you were pleased with the accuracy of the reproduction.

- Pricing is estimated in the $50 per yard range
- Please realize this is bulk material only that will need to be sewn into the fitted seat patterns and cut/fitted to the interior panels unlike the TMI, Sewfine, and WCC products that are finished and ready to install. But currenly neither of these suppliers offer a real Steel/Aero match.

Last edited by Walk Thru KO on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sy_kate wrote:

I know this is a revived thread, but I missed answering this question.
Here's a photo. You can see the wide strips in both the middle and rear seats, and the larger gap at each end.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walk Thru KO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
sy_kate wrote:

I know this is a revived thread, but I missed answering this question.
Here's a photo. You can see the wide strips in both the middle and rear seats, and the larger gap at each end.

Thanks. Actually with this custom run on the Aero Papyrus White material I have specified the blue-striped heat seams running the 55" width of the material so no problem with reproducing a seat cover just like this original:

ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: aero papyrus Reply with quote

I'll be in for a complete bus! the whole 9 yards!
OK - so its a little more!

Steve
Walk Thru KO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.........

So let me get this right, there is only one person (thanks ozinbc) that is interested in the opportunity to get the Steel blue/Aero Papyrus white reproduced?
sapper6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definately interested in getting this material reproduced. Put me in for an interior's worth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: