Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yee Haw, got my governor working/adjusted! *Video!*
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Yee Haw, got my governor working/adjusted! *Video!* Reply with quote

Governor summary from tasb
tasb wrote:
There were several different variations of the Bus governor. They came out in 1958 as a very limited option. The first governors were shaped differently than the later ones. They didn't have any interference from the throttle return spring since it was on the cable and not an arm on the carburetor. There were a small number of 40 hp governors as an option. Most but not all were made to clear the throttle return spring and the housing lacked the 1,5 designation next to the 28 DR. Next, came the governors with the 1,5 designation on the aluminum housing. These are the common place ones. The last modification of these included an additional adjustment screw at the bottom of the housing. The governor continued in use into early Bay window production. They have manufacture date stamps on the backside of the horizontal surface of the housing. The topic link above has pics of the various versions of the governor. You don't have to gut them to keep them from functioning. They can be adjusted to the point where they never "kick in".

Oh man, these things are badass!

My 62 DD Panel runs 4000 rpm @ 65mph. But being empty and running a peppy 1600 single port I have been able to get it up to abotu 73mph on the flats. Down hill really gets the thing winging if i'm not paying attention!

My problem is it about kills my ankle trying to maintain 65mph while driving for extended periods of time. (anyone lelse have this issue?)

So I found a couple used governors, did some mix and match, and got a good working one. I "test ran" the engine with the cover removed to see exactly how it worked and was impressed!

The governor does absolutley NOTHING until the set RPM (or rather, CFM)is reached. It does not limit the amount of power the engine will make, it just makes it hit a wall when the adjusted amount of airflow is reached. Equate it to a rev limiter. Except you can ride on it without it killing your gas mileage!

People that disable them thinking they are freeing up any HP are wasting thier time. These things are cool! Just set the adjuster at the top of it to allow your engine to drive the mph you want on the freeway (based on the safe RPM you feel comfortable letting your engine spin up to, to me that's 4000rpm) and it's like you have your own built in cruise control!

Man, no more sore ankle for me! I just rest my leg on the pedal and floor it. My bus cruises 65mph and no more. It pulls just like normal up to 65mph and just sits there. The little lockplate that holds the adjuster on my governor allows it to be 'set' every 1/8th of a turn so it is very fine-tuneable.

Lots of adjustment in this thing though, if I cranked it all the way up I bet i'd never hit the 'limiter'. If I crank it all the way down, it won't rev high enough to get to the next gear, lol! I remember my first single port bus (back in 95) had the governor but it was wired 'open' so it didn't work. Never got a chance to really play with it and after that motor went it's been dual port motors from then on. Until I picked up my newest bus that is.

Anyone else just plain dig these governors? Who else has played with the adjuster on the top to dial in thier top speed?

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.

Last edited by Eaallred on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one on my '56 bus years ago with a 1600, and my ambulance has one - a 36hp version, although it was already hacked when I got it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool. How does it work, anyway? Is there an exploded view anywhere?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a governor on my old '66 Westy. I didn't like it because in those rare occasions when I had enough steam to pass a truck or something I would get up to about 68 and then pfft it would drop back to 65 and I would be stuck there in the fast lane with several upset drivers behind me. I do have one sitting around the garage if I ever feel nostalgic and want to install one.
--Dan
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can't take some quick video of it with the cover removed for everyone to see.

It's suprising that it isn't 'gradual', killing power over the entire drivetrain, it only kick in once that specific RPM/CFM is met.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I had a governor on my old '66 Westy. I didn't like it because in those rare occasions when I had enough steam to pass a truck or something I would get up to about 68 and then pfft it would drop back to 65 and I would be stuck there in the fast lane with several upset drivers behind me. I do have one sitting around the garage if I ever feel nostalgic and want to install one.
--Dan

Laughing - that would be me..
you get that feeling of ..YAH- I'm going to pass this bastard,,then you look over and see him waving at you.. Embarassed
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the time I can't get past the semi's because of the air coming off the front end of them. Getting past them pretty good until I hit that wall of air coming off the front of them, LOL.

Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get past the semis. Right lane for me. I let them pass.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
Half the time I can't get past the semi's because of the air coming off the front end of them. Getting past them pretty good until I hit that wall of air coming off the front of them, LOL.

Hey I like these too and felt left out as everyone around here just looks at me like I'm crazy .... Most of them went in the S can a long time ago...... I put one back on when I did my resto of a 67 deluxe and I got 2 more govs but I need the long studs for the carb.... They are about 2 & 1/2 inchs long and I cant find them anywhere.... As you know VW studs have rolled threads ....

My question who has these or where can replacement stock be found now? Hey anyone wanting a factory look? I got lead seals and can safety the screw heads using .030 stainless wire or give you a good how to ... PM me I'd be interested in buying the studs if anyone has them ..
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
I had one on my '56 bus years ago with a 1600, and my ambulance has one - a 36hp version, although it was already hacked when I got it.

...Is that a rust hole in your apron?

And I wonder if I could get 4 governors and put them on my dells... Laughing
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

As you can see, when the throttle is applied, the throttle plate is pulled to the fully open position. It only closes once the set RPM/CFM is reached. Adjusting it higher or lower is done by turning the square headed adjster on the top of the governor. It moves the spring up or down to change the resistance of the governor.

Note when the governor is operating, moving the throttle anyhigher than needed does nothing to the engine rpms at all. It is a very smooth working system for sure.

Turn the adjuster clockwise to raise the rpm limit, counter clockwise to lower it.

Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, dig my extra long throttle cable too! Oh yea baby!

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys actually pass other drivers? Laughing

makes me want to install the governer on my 1500 sp just to play around with one.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat video, for sure. I bet that VW put them on to reduce warranty claims. It would sure take the stress off the engine!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, governors were common on special models, ie fire trucks and ambulances - why?
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some observations from an "old school" bus driver:

I've seen governors up for sale in the classifieds starting at $35+ shipping and then after months with no buyers they go down to almost $5 shipped and still no buyers... They do indeed get canned. People just don't understand these gems.

Your thread and "research" are an excellent resource. Might help to increase the popularity and resale of the governor/rev limiter.

I believe there are two versions of these units. There was one for 36 horse (1.2) and one for later engines (1.5). Does anyone have an earlier one they could post a pic of for comparison purposes? Anyone running an early one? I have a 36 horse in my 57 Kombi and live in the moutains. When going down a steep grade my engine is just ripping and the governor should help with over-revving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gomer_Pyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think yr belt is loose. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some governor photos from my "collection":
Governor dated 02.64

Characteristics - No spring on bottom and no screw there either (see governor below or view movie in this thread above) The 2 allen screws on the right are also slightly different.

Dated 11.62:

Note spring and screw in bottom. Someone also backed off the screw in the upper left to allow it to open further for some reason. I believe this is incorrect.

The 11.62 governor above had a cover plate without a "1.5" on it. I initially bought it thinking it was a 1.2/36hp governor but I am no longer sure of that since the internals appear identical to some others I own. Someone must have swapped the front cover. An earlier one I have dated 09.62 does have "1.5" stamped on it.

Another difference is the top adjustment bolt lock plate.
Early style, dated 02/64:

Later style. from a 11.66 governor:

The 66 governor also has only one screw with a hole in it for the lock wire, like they didn't lock every screw. The screws all have lock washers on them, similar to the earlier governors.

I have an NOS governor somewhere as well but I'm not sure of the location right now.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this 36hp governor in the Gallery:

Link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=346507
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

searched the governor box and I had six of them. Four are from 1966 one from 1968 and a sixth from 1958, so I actually have an oldie.

Next question for the 36 hp governor to mount correctly is there a specific intake manifold (shorter neck) that must be used when paired with the governor? I've got the long studs. I know that later buses had a specific manifold in order to accomodate the governor and clear the generator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: