Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
That's what I wanted to do too, or studded mud tires. Cause why not?

i have a set of super old studded mud tires....27s too...nice deep tread

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

just thinking a new set would be nice. havent had any snow to test these out yet, and my limited slip is getting picked up tomorrow Very Happy so with the combo of the two, i should be getting stuck really good this winter somewhere Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good idea to run only two studded tires. In fact, most tire stores will not mount just two. Get four, you will be much better off.

To get your spring plates back into their location after indexing them for lift, you might need to build a compressor out of an old bug jack or similar. I'll see if I can find a photo. It essentially lifts the bottom of the spring plate over the lip of the torsion housing casting so you can get the cover and rubbers back in place.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Not a good idea to run only two studded tires. In fact, most tire stores will not mount just two. Get four, you will be much better off.

To get your spring plates back into their location after indexing them for lift, you might need to build a compressor out of an old bug jack or similar. I'll see if I can find a photo. It essentially lifts the bottom of the spring plate over the lip of the torsion housing casting so you can get the cover and rubbers back in place.

law is four studs required of FWD, amd AWD tires are suppossed to match to keep the Diffs happy, but RWD is legally allow to run just rears. i dont plan to use it as a regular driving setup in the winter or anything, just when im in slippery situations and need the rear tires to grab to get me out. Wink

though four would be much better for braking, i agree...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and steering

I think atomwerks has a compressor tool.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For getting the spring plates back up over the lower stop...I've never had a need for anything more than just using the floor jack to get it high enough while I smack the plate onto the torsion bar with a rubber mallet. Maybe I've been lucky?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

law is four studs required of FWD, and AWD tires are supposed to match to keep the Diffs happy, but RWD is legally allow to run just rears. i don't plan to use it as a regular driving setup in the winter or anything, just when im in slippery situations and need the rear tires to grab to get me out. Wink

If you take your vehicle into any tire store around here, they will not install just two studded tires. You need the traction on all four wheels no matter how many are drive wheels and on which end they drive. It could be argued that the front wheels are much more important to have more traction than the rear wheels on your bus. The ability to steer and stop with confidence is often much more important than the ability to go.

Having only rear studded tires may give you the ability to get into a situation that feels OK, but then you can't steer your way out. Same things happens with tire chains. I know, I have been there. Having chains on the rear works great, but it can get really sketchy in icy spots, especially heading downhill.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

law is four studs required of FWD, and AWD tires are supposed to match to keep the Diffs happy, but RWD is legally allow to run just rears. i don't plan to use it as a regular driving setup in the winter or anything, just when im in slippery situations and need the rear tires to grab to get me out. Wink

If you take your vehicle into any tire store around here, they will not install just two studded tires. You need the traction on all four wheels no matter how many are drive wheels and on which end they drive. It could be argued that the front wheels are much more important to have more traction than the rear wheels on your bus. The ability to steer and stop with confidence is often much more important than the ability to go.

Having only rear studded tires may give you the ability to get into a situation that feels OK, but then you can't steer your way out. Same things happens with tire chains. I know, I have been there. Having chains on the rear works great, but it can get really sketchy in icy spots, especially heading downhill.

This is 100% true. It's against the law in Co for the tire dealer to sell you just 2 snows with studs unless...you just buy 2 tires and they don't install them. I have have also run into a situation when I was running 4 snows (nonstudded) got a side wall puncture on wolf creek pass. Went to the tire store, they didn't have a snow that fit and wouldn't install a radial because? You guessed it, it's against the law. I'm a delivery guy out here in Durango and is often chain up my front tires in bad storms to stop and turn.

As far as the spring plate. Just put the bus on jack stands and use your jack the lift the spring plate past the bottom stop. It helps of you wack it with a hammer as your jacking to keep everything lined up.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. In CA we can only have them starting November 1st to April 30th and if retracted, May 1st to October 31st.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys trying to educate Stewy or tell him whats right? Think

Dont you know yet - hes the "hey what the heck, Ill stick my hand in the fire to see what the heck all this talk about pain is" kinda guy Wink

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Are you guys trying to educate Stewy or tell him whats right? Think

Dont you know yet - hes the "hey what the heck, Ill stick my hand in the fire to see what the heck all this talk about pain is" kinda guy Wink

Laughing

jasons right again....

i really do like all the input though. thanks guys! at the moment, those two studs are probably 15 years old and are legitimately spares to get me home when all else fails traction wise, or if i get two flats in the same trip.....since i have now done that at least once....

otherwise, i dont plan on ever using them on the road....just trails, or if we got a foot of snow for a week like we did once in 2008...but otherwise, these will never ever see past 20 MPH...way to sketchy.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you're going with it. Have long distance spares and some "get out of anything" spares

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I see where you're going with it. Have long distance spares and some "get out of anything" spares

exactly.

when i get all the money i could ever need....ill be running a set of 6 matched tires with two swingout tires and jerry cans on the rear...and they will all be new and high traction tires. so this is just to get me through till then Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep playing lotto tickets, I'd be willing to donate some funds.

I'm thinking about just strapping them in the bed

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I'll keep playing lotto tickets, I'd be willing to donate some funds.

I'm thinking about just strapping them in the bed

Where did you find a picture of a truck with my web address on the side? ( I think about 5 of you will get why I wrote this ).

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your truck? I was cruising through pictures of chase trucks a while back
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/desert-racing/552055-chase-trucks.html

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
That's your truck? I was cruising through pictures of chase trucks a while back
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/desert-racing/552055-chase-trucks.html

No it isn't. Sorry, that was just a lame joke I was making about the web address name in regards to a very confusing comment that was made to me in another thread. That's why I said that maybe 5 of you would get it. Laughing

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent an email today to Nate at wagenswest...we shall see what he says...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play devils advocate. If you are stuck and need to put those tires on to get out, will it not be a little late to be jacking up your bus and changing out tires?
What you need is one of these

Cheap, reliable, you can sleep in the back. More power. Can go more places than our buses could ever dream of going and you can devote your time working on your bus improving it instead of repairing it.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of us plan on muddin', just getting unstuck while taking the back road.

This is also cheaper:

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I don't think any of us plan on muddin', just getting unstuck while taking the back road.

This is also cheaper:

Taking the back road is understandable. Bringing tires to change into for taking back roads is a different story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 92

Jump to: