Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Land Rover Discovery vs 181
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Land Rover Discovery vs 181 Reply with quote

Courtesy of Ralf Kurschewitz (the guy I buy parts for my 181) these videos (I hope you enjoy them as much as I did)

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2559386

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2559206
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the 181 would do against a vehicle with the same ground clearance? That seemed to be his only problem in the 2nd vid. Once his wheels spun he was going nowhere. Or a 181 with lift to match hers.... I'm thinking the 181 would win.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help notice how much bigger Sabine's smile is when she is playing in a Kubel.
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha , so i wonder if the extra 30k was worth it for the land rover , it seemed to have a hard time beating the 2wd 181 at anything except that mud hole and it was much taller than the 181 . the only other win was that hill climb and the rover only made it one foot farther than the 181 did ! granted it was on street tires , but 2wd vs. 4wd ? c'mon , the thing gave that rover a run for it's money .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I watched this video and loved it. We're restoring a 181.
Chris181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Discovery had the technology but not the tires Rolling Eyes

http://vwandco.wifeo.com/
Thing '73 IRS conversion
Eurovan VR6 LPG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know German?

What was the point was it a Land Rover add?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug-c wrote:
The Discovery had the technology but not the tires Rolling Eyes

Exactly. Put a set of BFG Mud Terrains on that LR3 and it would have made the top of the hill no problem. While 4WD isn't essential to a hill climb like that, low gear range probably is. While the LR3 had traction issues, it looked like the Kübel just plain ran out of grunt.

Those vids are great fun. Thanks for posting them perello. I wonder if there is a way to save those videos to disk for posterity. Anybody know how?
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone could put those videos up on file so I could watch them whenever I wanted...

But that was pretty sweet, I'd love to have some subtitles but we can't have everything, can we?

Thanks for sharing!
Shamu63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia
"DMAX focuses on men's hobbies, and its range of programmes is aimed at men looking for more than the current offer of sports and news programmes. DMAX involves a mix of adventure and discovery, cars and technology, popular science, DIY and travel and in a mindnumbing macho fashion. However, DMAX does not include football or erotic programmes."

D Motor - presented by Tim Schrick and Sabine Schmitz, who has to prove her own driving skill against an opponent on her local race track, the Nürburgring

http://www.dmax.de/emea/homepage.htm

Lets hope they translate or bring the show to the US. Sounds like a good concept.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the test was not intended to show "who is best" but more like "how big is the difference" after more of 30 years of R+D in all terrain vehicles...and I would say the difference is not huge Wink

To favor Ralf I can tell he used his 181 to cross the Sahara desert more than 3 times, having slightly bent the body in a desert collision. He also does not use LSD.

Leaving the tire debate apart, to me there is a difference in behaviour just because the vehicle weight....
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npconnor wrote:
If someone could put those videos up on file so I could watch them whenever I wanted...

Here's the direct link to the video file that the Flash player plays:
1st vid: http://myvideo-386.vo.llnwd.net/d3/movie5/23/2559386.flv
2nd vid: http://myvideo-206.vo.llnwd.net/d3/movie5/0c/2559206.flv

You can right-click those links and hit "Save-as" to get your very own copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Here's the direct link to the video file . . .

Thanks, Ian.
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh c'mon guys. I am behind the Thing as much as you guys but if you took a Disco and a Thing with similar tires and both lifted to the max of a slightly modified lift kit, the Disco would walk all over the Thing. Straight up desert travel might be similar but as far as hill climbs or rock crawling there would be no way. I understand that the Thing does amazing for an old 2wd vehicle and can hang with 4wd in many instances there is no way it would out do a Disco. The other thing is you can get a used Disco 1 for about the same or less than a Thing. I just helped a friend look for a Disco a while ago and there were several lifted decked out older Discos for about $4000-$5000.

Now I am not saying a Disco would be more fun. To start with the top doesn't come off. Doing the same terrain with less power and less clearance can be a very fun challenge. I go to NW Mogfest pretty regularly and some stuff that is a blast in a Vanagon Syncro you hardly even notice in a Unimog.

I am not selling my Thing for a Disco any time soon but they sure are cool rigs and at the price you can get them for they are tempting. I would have to cut the top off and figure out how to get the maintenance costs to a reasonable level though.

just my thoughts,
Craig
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaeth wrote:
Oh c'mon guys. I am behind the Thing as much as you guys but if you took a Disco and a Thing with similar tires and both lifted to the max of a slightly modified lift kit, the Disco would walk all over the Thing.

You are correct, sir. In addition to my Thing, I have one of these. My wife has a Disco II.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can tell you that there is no comparison between the capabilities of a Defender and a Thing.

If you want to go get squirrely at the local dunes/OHV area, Things are loads of fun. If you want to get somewhere more remote, you have to get more serious. There are several attributes common to the most capable off road vehicles:
Low gear range.
Solid axles (coil-over suspension is a plus, for articulation)
Yes, I'll say it - four wheel drive.
High ground clearance.
Differential locks (Did I say limited slip? Uh, no. Locking.)

I love my Thing more than my Defender. But off road, I'll take the Defender.

As an aside, it is impossible, with todays aftermarket offerings, to modify an LR3 (a.k.a. Disco 3) like the one in the video, to compete with its predecessors.

spaeth wrote:
I am not selling my Thing for a Disco any time soon but they sure are cool rigs and at the price you can get them for they are tempting. I would have to cut the top off and figure out how to get the maintenance costs to a reasonable level though.

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to cut the top off. It has it's uses.

spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this image post. This is my alternative to my Thing. 16" Syncro DoKa rear lockers, 30.6" tires on factory 16" rims. It get's me anywhere I have needed to go. I have just been getting into off roading and have been taking it slowly. I was just finishing up building the rack for the tent, which is why it was not powder coated yet.

Your Defender 90 is gorgeous. I love those.

Craig
npconnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
npconnor wrote:

Here's the direct link to the video file that the Flash player plays:
1st vid: http://myvideo-386.vo.llnwd.net/d3/movie5/23/2559386.flv
2nd vid: http://myvideo-206.vo.llnwd.net/d3/movie5/0c/2559206.flv

You can right-click those links and hit "Save-as" to get your very own copy.

Thanks a lot, now I can watch them whenever I want!
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain you spoil yourself and I like your style. I would love to have a defender 90 too but I learned 1 toy at a time keeps mama happy.
and we all know when mama's happy everyone is happy

Melikalikimaka to all of you

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
. . . I learned 1 toy at a time keeps mama happy. . .

Toy? No. Tool.
Toy = optional
Tool = necessary
That's my story and I'm sticking to it . . .

(I married my wife because she's smart enough to see through all my B.S. but kind enough to pretend that she doesn't sometimes. I count my blessings every day.)

Merry Merry everyone.
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the only other win was that hill climb and the rover only made it one foot farther than the 181 did !

Quote:
To favor Ralf I can tell he used his 181 to cross the Sahara desert more than 3 times, having slightly bent the body in a desert collision. He also does not use LSD.

Now I would only add that a stock '73 or earlier 181 with swingaxle, RGB and LSD would have certainly beaten that disco in the hill climb. But that mud hole is too tough for a 181/Thing unless highly modified. It's true that actual 4WD vehicles can beat our 181/Things in many cases. But amazingly, these old VW's can surprise a lot of off roaders too. I had several classic Range Rover, a defender, I currently own a CJ7. They all have low range, 4X4, some have diff locks. I often bring them and my VW's to a local MX (motocross) field and test their capabilities. My buggy and my 181 can do some stuff that my CJ cannot(and the LR's couldn't either), due to their weight and/or lenght. But it's true that they can't cross rivers or mud holes like the Jeep and other 4x4 do.

One other thing is : I can't understand why these german guys use the term of Kubelwagen so often. It is not a kubelwagen. While I was in France, many VW people was using this word too to designate a 181, as well as "variant" for all type3's (variant is the squareback). This is sort of aggravating.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: