Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The push against entropy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
the angle and composition of that shot elevates it to place I lack the vocabulary to describe.

Thanks Emil,
It helps to have a good camera with a lens like this.

Rich62ghia wrote:

I now carry a full tool kit, with most of the common replacement parts.

Rich, Yep, Volkwagen has been turning motorists into mechanics for nearly 80 years. The electrical problems are not so serious especially now the weather is warming up and days are getting longer. It is a fun car to drive but the Passat, with a completely concealed 130KWatt turbo diesel & leather seats has spoiled me out on the open road (that cheating lying vixen! but oh so powerful & comfortable). However, the Ghia gets the attention every time I take it out. I mean every time. It has such a pretty shape. I like driving the Ghia in the city where speed and power isn't required so much, just good bakes!

Once I get the radio and the dash trim installed I post up more photos with the top down.

John,
I discovered RainX when I owned a Citroen CX. It was a quirky thing featuring a very long and over worked single wiper blade. RainX did plenty to help smooth the wipe action on that and does a good job on the Ghia. The middle of the blade lifts off the glass even in when its square on to the curve of the screen. I might try putting a twist in the arms to lay the blade over a few degrees. Experimentation!

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I discovered RainX when I owned a Citroen CX. It was a quirky thing featuring a very long and over worked single wiper blade. RainX did plenty to help smooth the wipe action on that and does a good job on the Ghia. The middle of the blade lifts off the glass even in when its square on to the curve of the screen. I might try putting a twist in the arms to lay the blade over a few degrees. Experimentation!

I think Rich is right and what he says accords with Darrel's advice to me: These cars are going to need intermittent - if not constant - attention, what with the age of some of the components. I had to drive 150 kilometres in pouring rain the other day and the good and bad - (1) no leaks (2) the one windscreen wiper nearly fell off. It turned out that it has simply reached the end of its life. I'm going Rain-X and wiper free at the moment, waiting for a NOS set of wiper arms from Rüdiger Huber in Germany - his last set, he told me.

And another thing, as Inspector Columbo was won't to say: I hope you are not going to stop posting regular comments, photos and advice now that your beautiful car is on the road.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

absolutely awesome work there... I agree, more pics!!!! Very Happy
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Driving in the rain.....well I drove mine from El Paso to Marfa, TX and back in the rain, which was a lot of fun, but later on that year in the summer I took the heater hose off on the pass side because it kept coming loose, and I never use the heater anyway in the summer, well I forgot to put it back on, and got caught in a torrential monsoon last week, drove through some lake like puddles, made it home fine, but a few days later couldn't get her started only to discover the engine was completely full of water!!!! Good to know this beautiful car is on the road again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Nicholas, who did you use in Sydney for the engineers certificate?
Where there any issues with the disc brakes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I work in the regulatory areas of international satellite coordination, so I've learned it is important to approach compliance and certification in a way that it is possible to achieve the sometimes contrary goals of what you need and what needs to be legal. Often a bad approach undoes what is actually fully compliant and legal.

I used my local mechanic who has been working on my daily drives for years. He has blue slip certification and I, as a long standing customer, have been keeping him informed about the project and its progress. Trust & communication.

He commented that the car looks very stock standard, which essentially it is. Same track, same engine, better tyres, better seat belts (with ASA markings) and better brakes. There was nothing unusual to draw attention and much that was acceptable. He didn't want an engineering certification because he was clear this car was ADR compliant. It has no radical departures from stock. Presentation.

To assist, I had all my documents there ready for him. All the importation approval certificates and since I used the CSP brakes, ( which are German certified,) I provided the certification paperwork from CSP. (It comes with the brakes or copy can be supplied from the vendor.) Preparation.

I did my homework to make sure obstacles were not present or were totally avoided with external certification. Experience.

Yours, with the Mendeola front and rear suspension is quite a different situation to my car. There is a chance the modifications could attract attention. You could try taking it your local mechanic with a ride height set at "normal" and not mention much about the changes. An operator experienced with Aircooled VWs might not be an advantage here. The department is pushing the responsibility of road worthiness to commercial operators and some are rather more finicky.

If your inspector lists non-compliant items, you should view that as a to-do list that, at the very least, defines the steps to certify your car. This is certainty. If a followup inspection is required, go to the same guy. If you don't, it invites another inspector to scrutinize the previous inspector as well as your action list. You don't want the end of your project to devolve into an expensive hell.

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

The formula. Take one Karman Ghia. Add an interesting background. Take a photo or two and the result is a not half bad picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think some will recognise the location.

Nicholas
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Stunning car and fantastic photo. Thanks for sharing
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I read a novel once that in its opening lines declared Sydney to be one of the seven most beautiful cities in the world.

My take on Nicholas' photo: One of the world's seven most beautiful cars in one of the world's seven most beautiful cities.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I am at the moment thinking of how to add some additional heating in my ghia and below I saw something that caught my eye. May I ask about how you solved the heating? Do you run a Eber or similar below the gas tank?

bluedot wrote:
I went with a 12v kit that I got online. Works great! The tank casting was a little rough, so I did some die grinding on the inside so a funnel will fit in the hole correctly.

My only issue was the button - I didn't want a new hole or another button. I redid the switch to push an electronic button instead!

--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
That's a beaut! I'm curious about the red colored light on the ground behind the car... are your tail lights that bright or did you have a munchkin depressing the brake pedal?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
... are your tail lights that bright or did you have a munchkin depressing the brake pedal?

That photo is a time exposure. 30 seconds will brighten up just about anything. The head lights are illuminated with just the parking lights. I used a Nikon D800 with a 14-24 mm ultra wide zoom on a tripod.
The spot is popular for munchins but they are easily frightened by vw engine sounds.

Nicholas
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

nize wrote:
I am at the moment thinking of how to add some additional heating in my ghia and below I saw something that caught my eye. May I ask about how you solved the heating? Do you run a Eber or similar below the gas tank?

You can find a lively thread on my heater here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577714&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yes, it still works well - defrosts my windows and helps keep us warm.

But just like everyone else suggested, a good running VW heater system (assuming your rockers are ok) works amazingly well.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

That was indeed a lively tread... I liked your neat installation though. An Eber takes some space but this electrical heater was quite small I must say.

bluedot wrote:
nize wrote:

You can find a lively thread on my heater here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577714&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yes, it still works well - defrosts my windows and helps keep us warm.

But just like everyone else suggested, a good running VW heater system (assuming your rockers are ok) works amazingly well.

--------------------------
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I drove up to Gosford today, about an hour out of Sydney. The Ghia ran really well. I seem to have resolved the problem of burning out generators. It seems the NOS German 12 Volt regulator is a dud and sank too much current out of the generator, eventually burning out the armature. This is the second time I've been stung that way. Last time it was blinker/hazard relay set, also NOS but a dud.

Luckily I had a spare Brazilian Bosch Regulator of the same type but before installing it I swapped the cover so the "Bosch Germany" embossing can stay on the car. It was electroplated and would have been a shame to toss.:lol
I might try an get the damaged armatures rewound so parts are at hand to build up a few spare generators. The generator in the car now is my last one.

The mission today was picking up this box of Genuine VW parts.

This had been sitting around since the 90's and never installed. Inside we see this…

You can't make out it very well but it is all the hardware that goes on a Mexican 1600 fuel injection air-cooled motor.
Kit contains Engine tin, Generator & stand, Injectors, Throttle body, Coil, Hall effect distributor, tinware, oil cooler and a bunch of other stuff. I just need an Engine and the ECU, or at least that's what I've identified so far. No doubt there's more to discover.

I'm thinking I might have some fun with this lot.

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I somehow missed that you had concluded this project and were registered and back on the road. So, belated congrats! Your car looks fantastic!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I've been enjoying the car during the recent spring weather here.

A couple of details with the door assembly I didn't mention earlier.

The window crank handle and the crank spindle itself have a hole in the centre that meant for a buffer made of rubber.

The rubber usually get lost but I've found a simple replacement from Pentel..

You just cut these to length and stick it in the centre of the crank spindle

The handle just slides over that and you lock it in with the tiny pin that finds the groove on the spindle.

Jumping topic and here is the set up I worked out to get the fan off the generator. I've has plenty of practise getting generators on an off while diagnosing a dead regulator.

The fan is held by a white webbing loop so the thing doesn't flop over. The red webbing is a conventional tie down that crosses over the vyse to stop the fan moving when the bolts is turned. You wiggle it back and forth tightening the webbing till it doesn't budge. The nut comes off using a breaker bar and an extension tube of about a meter length so application of a smooth torque is possible without stress.

Finally in the mail I managed to get this plate for the radio mounting hole.

It fits from behind the dash is quite solid not wanting to slide up and down or left to right because it picks up the tabs and the lip of the radio opening. I had to file the hole a few millimetres taller to fit the radio and put it on the belt sander to make the gap a small as possible. The '66 only face plate is not flat against dash face and adds several mm to the required Grip length the controls shafts need to press through. There wasn't much thread poking through to start the nut on the control shaft but after a few rounds of sanding I managed to file off the right amount to get the nuts on.

So finally the radio is firmly mounted and I can get on with the dash trim and glove box.

Nicholas
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Nicholas

I've only just noticed that your ignition switch is to the left(inside) of the steering wheel. On my RHD 63, the ignition switch is to the right or outside of the wheel. Is that a change on the later model 66?

Angus
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Dang!
Evil or Very Mad

Car parks are dangerous.

Nicholas
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Commiserations. Regrettably a risk we take every time we go for a drive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: