Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david_594
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is available anywhere? I am talking about the thin rubber seal that goes in a small groove around the back edge of the cluster. Mine is in about 100 pieces and I would kind of like to find an intact one.
JonnyPhenomenon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

david_594 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows if this is available anywhere? I am talking about the thin rubber seal that goes in a small groove around the back edge of the cluster. Mine is in about 100 pieces and I would kind of like to find an intact one.

I know this post is two years old, but I want to know the same thing. I just restored my instument cluster, and need one of these gaskets. I might just fab something of my own, but if the part is still available then I might just buy it.

looking hrough vagcat I cant find anything about the instrument cluster at all.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it must be early buses because the 1977 and 1978 didn't have it. Could you get bulk o-ring from the auto store and use that? Some places sell the o-ring material in a spool and one can cut it to any length. A model airplane shop might have rubber hose that could be cut and used too.
pwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on my '77. It looks more 'L' shaped than round. I have not seen the seal anywhere, not that I have really looked.

Phil
JonnyPhenomenon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was molded to fit in the groove on the back of the cluster bezel. My guess it that it was put there to keep the cluster from rattling or squeaking from vibration. the rubber hose is a good idea. Im sure I could just fab something up.
SandClemente
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Instrument cluster gasket 69-71 bus Reply with quote

The round piece of rubber that holds window screens into the frame, same on screen sliding doors comes in various diameters. I am trying it now.
SandClemente
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Instrument cluster gasket 69-71 bus Reply with quote

The round piece of rubber that holds window screens into the frame, same on screen sliding doors comes in various diameters. I am trying it now.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used - Ken at Busco found one for me a year or so ago.
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm also looking for the instrument cluster to dash seal (L-shaped) for my '75. Looks like there are some European suppliers (one shown). Does anyone know the P/N or if there is a US-based source? If not, I'll ask Ken at BusCo....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

Try Buslab.com:

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/ok64659.htm

They are Bus-OK's partner in the U.S. located in California, from what I understand.

Hope this helps,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

Apply a thin bead of silicone, smooth it out carefully and let it set up. Done for another couple of decades.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

What are the cross scetion meaurements on that seal? Is it hard ....normal rubber...or is it,a foam like door seals?

You might try looking at the range of bulk...by the roll....glass channel setting seals and generic seals....in the Auveco catalog.

Ray
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal/Gasket between cluster and dash? Reply with quote

Ray
at the moment my seal is brittle, but I suspect this was relatively soft. The cross-section is shown in picture. The horizontal part is approximately 0.110 inch thick and the vertical portion about 0.060 inch thick.

Either way, I have a list of stuff that I have to buy from different vendors. I can live with $7 for the proper seal from Buslab. If I'm in a hurry Wildthing's suggestion is pretty good...or maybe even the cylindrical/rope rubber seal for screen windows might work.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: