Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Now I have HEAT :) - (Long with pictures)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Now I have HEAT :) - (Long with pictures) Reply with quote

I live in Canada and drive my bus in the winter Shocked

I was never happy with the heat in my bus. I had 2 problems.

PROBLEM #1 - The PO had heat exchangers from a notchback on there = way less heat!
Solution I found a decent set of PROPER exchangers and installed them Laughing

PROBLEM #2 - I LIVE IN CANADA, (Best Country in the World! but it is COLD in the winter!
Solution. I installed a Mikuni air heater Laughing Laughing Laughing

I put it under the jump seat in the rear

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used ABS pipe to split the heat into 2 areas.

I also made it so I can disconnect and BLOCK the "rear" heat. That way I get all the heat up front. The front heat tube exits under the driver seat, right at my feet. (Takes about 30 seconds to screw in the rerar outlet when needed)

The only "PROBLEM" with this is the fact that the heater burns diesel, therefore I needed to install a seperate tank for the diesel. I bought a HONDA metal fuel tank, it holds about 6 litres. I put it under the westy bed bench.

The heater works well. I have not measured the output temps yet but it is decent. It is not "HOT" where I will be driving in a t-shirt all winter, but way better.

Added bonus is that I can use this to heat my interior before driving to work or when camping. It runs off my aux deep cycle battery Laughing Flick a switch in the morning and the furnace kicks in within about 2 minutes and heats my bus without killing my battery Wink

I know this is not for everyone. But I bought the heater from EBay. I bought the ducting, outlets and fuel tank locally. I have just under $500 into this heater.

Shawn

1973 Westfalia, Camper Special with 75 FI. Automatic 003 . Non-pop top
1977 Porsche 911S Targa, 2.7 L with 5spd
1992 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon (SOLD)
1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a video of it running on YouTube

Link

It is NOT as loud as it sounds on the video. My camera must just pick up the sound real good. Especially when I stuck the camera into the bus.

Shawn

1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRN9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video! Nice work! Where did you purchase the heater?
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...if that has an electrical on/off switch, you should definitely install one of these remotes:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/dealsurprise_1980_3258349

$15 and you don't have to leave your house to heat up your rig! I installed an RV sized propane heater in my bus back in '96 and I always wanted to have a wireless on/off switch for it. Unfortunately I don't drive the bus in the winter as much so I don't need the heater (or the remote).

Maybe consider mounting an LED somwhere (behind rearview mirror?), so you can see that it is turned on.

one place to buy it:
http://www.dealsurprise.com/gigaviaktchu.html
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that you are very brave to drive a bus in the winter up here in Alberta. At least you can do it now while warm! Laughing Cool Very Happy
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the accent in your voice...nice heater and great location for it...filling the fuel cell may be a problemo. It all about the heat though. Twisted Evil

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

I used a cheap thermometer (only went to 50 degrees), the output at the vent is way over that! Twisted Evil

But the interior was only "warm" (15 - 18 degrees ) after the heater ran for 30 minutes. I assume I am losing lots of heat!

Seals are all new, the floor and rear walls all have B-Quiet and bubble foil insulation.

I think I am losing most through the front doors (no door panels right now) and the roof (Bare metal!) My next project is to insulate the roof and doors and get those panels back on a see if there is a difference.

Still a HUGE improvement over what I had. I think money well spent so far!

Steelhead wrote:
Man...if that has an electrical on/off switch, you should definitely install one of these remotes:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/dealsurprise_1980_3258349

Steelhead I LOVE IT. I will be getting one!
Anyone know of any in Canada? (I checked EBay)

BUSFREAK- Hey driving it is all part of the adventure. Rolling Eyes But I usually only drive it to work and back (2Kms) Wink

Gt1953 - I don't know what you mean by accent, it you guys south of the border with the accent Razz lol

Shawn

1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)

Last edited by davis911s on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davis911s wrote:
UPDATE

I used a cheap thermometer (only went to 50 degrees), the output at the vent is way over that! Twisted Evil

But the interior was only "warm" after the heater ran for 30 minutes. I assume I am losing lots of heat!

Seals are all new, the floor and rear walls all have B-Quiet and bubble foil insulation.

I think I am losing most through the front doors (no door panels right now) and the roof (Bare metal!) My next roject is to insulate the roof and doors and get those panels back on a see if there is a difference.
How about the windows? Double glazing might be a good upgrade...
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 28.000km
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reviewing previous "heat modification" posts.

Everyone stated DO NOT use PVC due to the heat. This was in reference to rebuilding the main heat tube under the bus.

What is the concensus on using PVC where I did? I will remove it if there is an issue and just run a straight tube to the front for now, then build a 3 way splitter out of something else later. Looking for opinions

Thanks

1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davis911s wrote:
I was reviewing previous "heat modification" posts.

Everyone stated DO NOT use PVC due to the heat. This was in reference to rebuilding the main heat tube under the bus.

What is the consensus on using PVC where I did? I will remove it if there is an issue and just run a straight tube to the front for now, then build a 3 way splitter out of something else later. Looking for opinions

Thanks

PVC releases a toxic gas at high temperatures, not a good thing. Sad
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busfreak_71 wrote: "PVC releases a toxic gas at high temperatures, not a good thing." Sad

Ditto on the ABS pipe & fittings; maybe even worse. It always smells like it outgasses heavily, even at room temps! OTOH(?) just turned up this article:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/dep...eport.aspx

Should be pretty easy to find sheet metal ducting & fittings in a variety of sizes at the Home Depot/Lowe's type supply centers. Lots of different & safe external insulations available that can be wrapped around the thin metal tubes, to hold in the heat right up to your selected vents. Also shouldn't be too hard to plumb it into your bay's center/front distribution tube, for defroster use.

Nice start on mobile climate control system.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this heater you installed an addition to the factory heat from the bus or have you given up on the factory heat?

Have you tried to get the right heaterboxes and seal up the ducting from back to front? Is your blower fan working? Have you thought about adding a bilge fan to the main heater duct underneath in about the center of the bus?

I live in MN and although I seldom use my bus in the cold weather (they use salt on the roads here), I have had occasion to use my heat. I found that carefully sealing the ducting all the way from the heaterboxes (and even bypassing the ducting that goes to the rear, if you want) really does help with the heat. I have yet to add a bilge fan in the ducting, but that may be a project for this coming summer.

If your factory heat was working correctly along with the extra heater you have installed, I think you'd be toasty.

I have also seen another samba member that hung a thick sheet of plastic from the roof of the cab directly behind the front seats to help contain the heat to the front. i though that was a great idea. Although i would want to design it somehow so that I could easily remove it for summer. Maybe snaps.

Anyway, nice bus, nice video, nice heater.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bay window has a thick curtain at the rear of the front seats, it works very well at containing heat.

You should complete the insulation work and you will be fine.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. Very reminiscent of my Airtronic D2 install. Well worth the effort. I drove into work today in a t-shirt and light jacket. it was 7F degrees out when I left.
pb24ss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that while driving with the airtronic on I get substantially less heat, as it's leaking out the bus. I've sealed it up as best I can, and it's very comfortable on the coldest of days. Camping is another story though. When parked I have WAY more heat than I know what to do with.
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
nice bus, nice video, nice heater.

Thank you

BusBerd wrote:
Is this heater you installed an addition to the factory heat from the bus or have you given up on the factory heat?

Have you tried to get the right heaterboxes and seal up the ducting from back to front? Is your blower fan working? Have you thought about adding a bilge fan to the main heater duct underneath in about the center of the bus?.

It is in addition. I have proper heat exchangers installed now. New flapper boxes, new accordian tubes, AND a bilge pump!

I drive short distances so this doesn't really get a chance to heat up. It is cold here. I am a HEAT PIG, so I like the idea of running this for 15 minutes while I get ready for work and getting into a warm wehicle.

BusBerd wrote:
I have also seen another samba member that hung a thick sheet of plastic from the roof of the cab directly behind the front seats to help contain the heat to the front. i though that was a great idea. Although i would want to design it somehow so that I could easily remove it for summer. Maybe snaps.

I have a heavy blanket hanging between the front and back. I think that is going to help a lot too.

pb24ss wrote:
while driving with the airtronic on I get substantially less heat, as it's leaking out the bus. I've sealed it up as best I can, and it's very comfortable on the coldest of days. Camping is another story though. When parked I have WAY more heat than I know what to do with.

Thanks I am in the process of trying to seal up the bus too.

The Sage wrote:
You should complete the insulation work and you will be fine.

That is the funny part. I spent so much time insulating the bus. BUT it has been all in the back. I have to insulate the FRONT Rolling Eyes

All in all this was a fun project. Well worth while to me.

Shawn

1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job M8, any more info specs etc.? Very Happy
pb24ss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the make and model of the heater you ebay'd?
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the specs on the Heater. It has a sticker on it that say

BTU's are around 6200

MIKUNI MY16

Features:

Full 1.9kw output
Economical and quiet
Solid state thermostat control (timer available)
Two heat version available
Microprocessor controlled
Compact size
Specifications:

Power source: 12 or 24v DC
Power consumption: 40w
Fuel: diesel
Dimensions: 350L x 123W x 127H(mm)
Heat output: 1.9kw
Fuel consumption (L/H): 0.23
Aair-flow (M3/H): 60
Weight: 3.5kg

1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great idea. The only thing that would concern me, as has already been mentioned, is the use of the ABS tubing. Good luck on the insulating!

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: