Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If American Racing recreated the wide 5 Torq-Thrust....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: If American Racing recreated the wide 5 Torq-Thrust.... Reply with quote

[b]Would you buy a set? [/b]
It's an easy argument that the American Racing wheels designated as the Torq-Thrust design are some of the most prominent wheels on American cars from the 60's and 70's. Also, they are some of the best looking 5 spoke wheels (my opinion at least-) for the VW's. Unfortunately, American Racing stopped making them as they were the Magnesium material, and we all know how tough it is to find those or the aluminum ones that were made in small numbers. What I'm trying to do is communicate with American Racing and create a link between the enthusiasts and the manufacturer to help get something like this going. I know though communications with them already that they tried to look into the feasability of this about 18 months ago, but it got deadended. The cost of the wheels will probably be similar to the regular Torg-Thrusts that are available for American Cars or in the smaller bolt patters. I don't know how many sets, but American would have to sell enough wheels, or have a list of buyers that would allow them to ensure that they would be able to recollect on their investment in tooling and manufacturing, and at least return a profit to some degree. Now, I'm not a dealer, and I don't know what it take as a dealer to become a distributor for wheels--but if a dealer would sign on with them to guarantee advertising and sales--that would probably be a good start. I don't know where to go with this other than what I've done so far as there are no distributors for the JGE wheels form the UK here in the states. Also, wouldn't we in the states rather bolster the US made products???
Either way, It'd be great to find a way to get these wheels back on the catalog pages of American Racing through the efforst of people here on thesamba.com
-John[b][/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Urnge74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt buy any of the crap american racing puts out these days.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGE is already re-making them(I ordered a set for my oval rag) Cool
die schwarzen Schafe #666
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes original manufactures will ensure that their products maintain the status that they once had. JGE sure does make a quality reproduction, but they only make one size. ARE could make the different offsets, thus satisfying desires for different looks, and different styles. I know I'd like a pair of 4.5" for the front, and 5.5's for the rear. But that's just me. Also, I know that American doesn't just make crap that import drivers want to stick on their car to make them look 'faster'. This is all just my .02, but in the end it's up to American to make them or not. I highly doubt they'd be any worse than JGE, and they'd certainly be cheaper than ordering from overseas.
-John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`ll never happen.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original torque Thrusts were only offered in 15x5.5",which is the same thing JGE is remaking. Instead of trying to convince AR to remake the wheel,why not give your $.02 to JGE about different wheel widths? It worked with Flat-4(do you think the original BRM was available in a 6.5"width?).
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was wrong.. I was thinking that the front wheels on this car>
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=358785
Had a different offset, or width than the rears. I guess It's just how I took the picture that it looks that way at first glance. My mistake. On the note about 'why not just buy from jge?', I like that I would be able to get them cheaper here, and I like that I would be paying toward the checks of an American Worker here in states rather than some brit, and also that they'd probably not carry the high duty and shipping costs here in the states that they would from overseas. Oh well, I never thought it was bad to try and do something positive such as ask for input from the community to have an original something brought back even if for a limited production run.
-John
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt american racing wheels are actually made in america

it would make absolutely no sense for them to design and produce any wide 5 rims, it's a losing proposition. less and less cars every year, with no new car being made with that bolt pattern

sorry to sound like a party pooper, but it aint gonna happen
63 Ripper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemifalcon wrote:
I guess I was wrong.. I was thinking that the front wheels on this car>

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=358785

-John

they are porsche 130 pattern not wide 5 !
C/O "some Brit" Rolling Eyes
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know that those are 5x130, but they were posted for the sake of posting, nothing else.
Thanks,
some yank
63 Ripper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemifalcon wrote:
i know that those are 5x130, but they were posted for the sake of posting, nothing else.
Thanks,
some yank

fair enough,but porsche pattern torq and wide 5 torqs have a totally different offset so a comparison is pointless. you know that original wide 5 torqs (and JGEs too) are not compatible with most modern disc brake kits unless you run a hell of a spacer and narrow beam,right ?
did you also know that the JGE torker was copied directly from an original magnesium wheel so is correct in almost all ways (except those needed to pass certain safety laws) ?
cheers old bean,pip pip,toodle bye Laughing
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did read that Mr. Warehouse himself sent one of this prized wheels over to JGE for them to copy. I understand that and also believe that they have a good looking product, I'm not arguing against that. But, the prices are rather high, and I like knowing that stuff made in the USA, stays that way.
If American won't make the wheels, oh well. I just thought that I'd start this topic to see what kind of interest there really was in such a venture. I guess it's minimal to say the least. Oh well.
-John
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemifalcon wrote:
Yeah, I did read that Mr. Warehouse himself sent one of this prized wheels over to JGE for them to copy.
-John

Correction one of my wheels *before* it was mine went to JGE. Might of been a different wheel all together. Rich Cantu was actually the guy that did the deal with JGE.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The total price for my set was $1,000;the same as what they charged for the repop BRM's when they came out in 1998. If you want cheap.buy EMPI.
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemifalcon...Where did you read that one of Greg's wheels went over to JGE for the reproduction? Laughing

The actual wheel you mention is now in the hands of collector Mr.Mayo and was never owned by Greg at Vintage Warehouse.

You are right, it would be cool if American Racing would bring back "The Original" wide five torq thrust d spoke for the Vw with the early hex center cap.....I think being made in the U.S.A would be good as well!!!

But I guess for now the chinese reproduction is the best that can be done??

Alot of people said it "Would Never Happen" but at least the repro did Very Happy
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango,
I think I made a mistake reading somewhere that he had sent a wheel over to the UK for repop-ing.. JGE did do a nice job on the re-make but at the same time...I feel the way you do obviously..
It probably won't happen, not too many people seem to be interested like I thought they would.
Oh well.
gixxer 711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sell ARE wheels. if they were to bring it back, it would be produced in china and most likely in the one size only. most cast wheels are made in china. i am willing to bet, that is where the JGE wheels are produced also. the only wheels that ARE makes in the US anymore, are their two piece wheels, which can be made in different widths and offsets. it is not cost feasible to try to build cast wheels in the us with all the brand new factories in china. we have noone to blame but ourselves for them being produced outside the US, as the consumer demands a lower price. we complain about the loss of jobs in the US, but also demand a lower price. so that means cutting the wages of someone in the US or moving it out all together. one of the reasons why our dollar is so weak and we have to pay a high exchange rate from europe. i would love to have a set, but i would want them in two piece, so i could get staggered sizes.
gixxer 711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for these. they look like the torque thrust and the price is right.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1377
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are close, but not quite the same design.. There is a subtle difference, and the American design is actually much neater I think..
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the repop ET wheels. I have those on my '63 euro rag. Definitely a cool wheel,but you have to run a 4" beam just to get them under the front fenders Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: