Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Create an Electrical Forum?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Create an Electrical Forum? Reply with quote

As we all know Volkswagens suffer from strange electrical problems. Some are from a PO that took a whack at putting a radio power lead on the brake light circuit, or having three turn signal lights flash at the same time, or even the melted wiring harness from the AMP meter installation. Some other electrical problems are self inflicted. Some of us know that H2O cars have electrical problems as the most common problem. Having been a Lurker for a while, and knowing some electrical stuff, I chimed in on some forum topics for electrical questions under different VW car/bus specific forums. I have also noticed, thru searches, that electrical question are all over the forums. Poster A might have a problem that Poster B knows about but Poster B doesn't check that specfic car forum so....This, I see, as easily fixed. Start an Electrical Forum. A one-stop location for these type of questions and problems that occur to EVERY Volkswagen owner. Just an Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been suggested before and the decision was made that electrical issues should be addressed in the particular forum for that vehicle.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, it's best to post in the particular car type.

You are correct that there may be problems unique to all models but in most cases it's a problem related to a Bug/Bus/whatever specific wiriing issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly we need a electrical forum that crosses all bounds.... There is a lot of misinformation out there about the mysteries of electricity and cars...

What is different about a alternator or a generator that will not charge in a bus, a beetle, as squareback, a thing or a dune buggy... If it does not work it does not work.

If a lamp does not light, there are three thing wrong.... Its missing voltage (+12 or +6 volts) or a ground (-) or filaments is burned out.... It doesn't not relegate its self to body style/ application specifics....

If a idiot light does not work in a bus, its probably the same reason in a dune buggy or a thing........

There is a lot of information scattered all the through the main forum alot of questions people are asking appear in many different forums and the questions are pretty much all the same and so are the answers.

It makes more sense to put the collective of knowledge in one place so many can benefit by looking over the posted information and possibly finding the answers to their questions immediately instead having to wait for answers and wasting bandwidth asking same question on 5 or 6 different sub forums by 5 or 6 different people who never visit "other" forums...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

You are correct that there may be problems unique to all models but in most cases it's a problem related to a Bug/Bus/whatever specific wiriing issue.

agree 100%
see LOCKED thread 7 posts down
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283191

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
EverettB wrote:

agree 100%
see LOCKED thread 7 posts down
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283191

You sure its just not case you want to keep the information secret to your favorite forum.... Are you sure its not a case that you don't want some other people to benefit from the information..... What if your access to "tires & wheels". or "performance engines" or "body & Paint" forums were limited to a particular body style.... I think your opinion is short sighted and not in the best interest of ALL Samba users....

No offense intended, but knowledge keep hidden in sub-forums that is not read by others is not knowledge its a secret.... Currently I post electrical help in three different sub-forums, all that information is repeated three times... What is wrong of just having it one place... Cuts bandwidth, time searching, and endless repetition of the same information and makes it easier for all to access the same information.

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it's a secret when the search screen searches all forums by default.

Give us some examples of what topics cross all types.

You're also assuming that someone will post electrical questions only in the electrical forum. This will not happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not sure how it's a secret when the search screen searches all forums by default.

Give us some examples of what topics cross all types.

Alternators, Generators, Voltage Regulators, Turn signal lamps that don't blink, Turn signal switchs, Horn circuits, Back-up light circuits, Idiot lights that don't work. Headlight relays/switches. Grounding problems. Fuses blowing. Wire gauges for adding "electrical accessories" or just replacement of damaged wire. Additional fuse blocks to supply additional electrical circuits (Lights-Stereos- Amps)...

See these problems are not just relegated to a specific body type.

Now tell me what things that are so body style specific that problem can not be discussed or solution found in a "general" sub-forum.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turn signal lamps that don't blink, Turn signal switchs, Horn circuits, Back-up light circuits, Idiot lights that don't work. Headlight relays/switches. Grounding problems. Fuses blowing.

On these the general concepts could be discussed but the specifics are better discussed in the dedicated Forum IMHO as there are model-specific differences.

Other opinions welcome...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Quote:
Turn signal lamps that don't blink, Turn signal switchs, Horn circuits, Back-up light circuits, Idiot lights that don't work. Headlight relays/switches. Grounding problems. Fuses blowing.

On these the general concepts could be discussed but the specifics are better discussed in the dedicated Forum IMHO as there are model-specific differences.

Do I detect a "spin"here?....... You are not stepping up to the challenge of naming anything body style/model specific.....

To continue listing items.... Fuel injection (electrical side), electronic ignitions (mega-jolt, Mallory, MDS) these all all electrical in nature although there are engine systems (but so are alternators, generators, regulators)....

Why should people have to "search" for electrical information. These systems are in all our automobiles.... Searching just mans you have to go to another forum, and later when you forgot where you found a answer or wrote the question, you have to "search" all over again.....

Here is a challenge, put up sub-forum, if it is not successful in 6 months, kill it.

Dale

coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would turn into the "how do I install a bigass sound system" forum within 2 weeks."

That might not be a bad thing, but that's what would happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Quote:

Do I detect a "spin"here?....... You are not stepping up to the challenge of naming anything body style/model specific.....

The stuff I quoted above is model-specific. The electrical properties are not but how to troubleshoot and repair a Bus turn signal switch and its wiring is Bus-specific. If I blow a fuse in my Bus, your experience with shorts on a Beetle may not apply to my Bus.

I'm not against a specific Forum but it seems like it would result in duplicate posts.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... A closed mind is hard to negotiate with, convince.... So be it.....

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: