Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid America Motorworks (MAM) - mamotorworks.com
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verboten1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I ordered 2 parts with free shipping, receipt in email shows a total $30 less than I was charged.

They charged me shipping after the fact, when i called the guy was telling me how he wasn't sure how that happened or what he could do.
He didn't seem to care too much.
Luckily I have not received the parts yet, so I will be refusing them if there is no resolution before they show up
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verboten1 wrote:
So, I ordered 2 parts with free shipping, receipt in email shows a total $30 less than I was charged.

They charged me shipping after the fact, when i called the guy was telling me how he wasn't sure how that happened or what he could do.
He didn't seem to care too much.
Luckily I have not received the parts yet, so I will be refusing them if there is no resolution before they show up

Listen, you screwed up.. You ordered from them in the first place. Don't make the 2nd mistake and accept the parts..

Order from other vendors who care about the hobby, VW's and reproducing parts that are needed. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midamerica windshield quality is so bad I have to comment.
Bought one which showed delamination two days after installation.
They were good about sending another one of their Chinese-sourced
windshields as a replacement; it was worse than the first. I didn't want
to waste the time or effort to install it.
They didn't want either one returned. They refunded the original purchase
price but kept the shipping cost.
They sell some über low quality Chinese crap.
Lesson learned...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John S. wrote:
They refunded the original purchase
price but kept the shipping cost.

Dispute the charge with your credit card company..... you'll win.

Years ago i purchased a right rear tail light for a 74 Beetle. The catalog said it was a exact copy... what I got was a Mexican taillight. While it would "work", it was not a exact match to the existing left light. I complained and they said they'd take it back and issue a refund but i'd be out the shipping cost both ways. I figured something back was better than nothing so I sent it back. I send a email to Mike Yeager, President of MAM, explaining it was not exact and and I doubt his Corvette customers would accept being mislead. A few days later I received a email from someone at his office saying Mike agreed and they would refund the cost of shipping both ways.

My point is, don't accept them not issuing a full refund.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
gondiwindi wrote:
Sadly, you're not going to hear from the customers that like and do shop at MAM. Clearly, they are out there.

I would bet that the majority of their customers have never been on here or have never hear of this place (yes there are lots of people who don't know about or come on here) they are just ordering parts out of a nice shiney catalog.

"Like" is a strong word... and I've certainly had my problems with MAM. Sad

But for those of us here in the Midwest, they have more than just the shiny catalog in their favor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm perfectly willing to pay a modest premium to keep the quality parts vendors on the west coast in business. But for the health of the community, local parts vendors are equally vital. There are many of us out here who do our research, vote with our wallets, and based on that- split our orders among different vendors when it makes sense to do so. And yes, that includes purchasing from Mid America Motorworks. Wink
John S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, voting with the wallet....
Case in point, the non-refunded shipping cost from MAM.
It will likely be the most expensive $20.00 they ever "got over" on.
The vendors need to realize that someone who owns, uses and
maintains an antique vehicle as a hobby will have ongoing spending for years.
When two defective products are shipped on the same order, one after the
other, it would be common courtesy to issue a full refund.
I have not had any issues with Wolfsburg West, West Coast Metric or the
other parts vendors I have used.
Product quality combined with customer service is an unbeatable combination
which garners loyalty and assures future business.
As stated, with Midamerica; lesson learned.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main complaint about them is their "package" pricing. For example I was just looking in their newest catalog and they have a Pertronix II ignition kit that includes spark plug wires, a Flame Thrower coil and an 009 distritutor for $279. You would think that's a deal but if I bought those EXACT parts separately it would be $239.

Why would I want to buy a package? LOL

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
My main complaint about them is their "package" pricing. For example I was just looking in their newest catalog and they have a Pertronix II ignition kit that includes spark plug wires, a Flame Thrower coil and an 009 distritutor for $279. You would think that's a deal but if I bought those EXACT parts separately it would be $239.

Why would I want to buy a package? LOL

Happens all over their catalog. Their entire business model relies on suckers.
That said, I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. Sometimes when everyone else is out of something they have it...cuz people in the know go elsewhere first, even at a higher price. Glad to have them as a last resort.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Cramer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Last dollar I will spen with MAM Reply with quote

Purchased 4 Alum wheels from MAM over Super Bowl weekend to take Advantage of the discount they were running 50.00 off for purchases over 500.00. Figured "free" shipping that way.
Only 2 wheels and the lugs showed up with a packing list showing 2 whhels were on backorder. Called MAM and was told "it" should have told you what was in stock.
I said well "it" didnt neither did my receipt.
Do you want to cancel your order?
When will they ship?
Maybe 3-1-2015
Maybe?
Yes. Cannot be sure, however we will let you know 3-1-2015
Emailed MAM and Mike Yeager answered letting me know he will get to the bottom of this.
Opened the 2nd box and the wheel had been used for it was scratched up
Called to cancel my order and return everything but the lug nuts. Like pulling teeth to get them to send a call tag for shipping.
emailed Mike again and again promised to fix it
Today I got an apology call from customer service and to let me know a 25.00 coupon was on its way for my next purchase guess they couldnt apply that to the order they jacked up. Told them to keep the coupon I wont be back
I wonder who is running the asylum?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Glad to have them as a last resort.

Late to this party, but I disagree. If I need something quick, I order from Archway Imports, in St. Louis. http://www.archwayauto.com/

I live in IL, about a 5 hour drive from MAM, and anytime I've ordered from them, delivery took at least a week, sometimes more. Archway delivers in 2-3 days unless item is OOS.

What MAM sells makes EMPI look superior. I think it's BOOTLEG cheap Chinese crap.
I don't even consider MAM an option when shopping. Evil or Very Mad I'd go to J.C. Whitney before MAM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blienemann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not ordered from MAMW so I cannot comment on their quality or customer experience but I will admit that I was overly impressed by their catalog when I got back into VW's.

When I had my last one 15 years ago, there was only 1-2 real ACVW garage around my area and I didn't have the internet. So when I got back into the hobby I found MAMW and their flashy catalog. After researching a few other sites I quickly found that they were more expensive for similar products.

I didn't know that this site existed for quite a while as well and MAMW would have received most of my business. That is how they make most of their business.
70 Deluxe Bus - Project

"Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor." Bill Shankly
youngster1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed with MAM this weekend at Funfest. The show itself was a good time as always, but ordering parts not so much.
I needed a few things for my projects, and since I was already going for the show I figured I would save on shipping costs and just pick up the parts while I was there.
Well, they were out of about half of what I needed, and all of the big items. Although they did manage to keep all the cute t-shirts, signs, and coffee mug sets in stock. But the 200mm clutch pressure plate I actually needed not so much . . .
sickncrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: horrible company... Reply with quote

just wanted to share my experience with them.. ordered a carpet set for my 75 super conv. , according to website it was avail and ready to ship.. ordered on the 22 on june figuring i have time on july 4th weekend to install.. come july 4th.. even following week.. nothing! , i called them to check on my order and they said it was custom and they made it themselves.. when i asked "why does it say it is avail? " his reply-- i don't know..
waited for another week.. still nothing, called them and said it should be in that week.. still nothing..
all of a sudden i get 2 boxes on the 24th of july.. a whole month and guess what.. i received 2 rear sets of carpet.. Grrr,..!!
called them again and they said the order was placed 2 times.. i was like "HUH"?
and sales guy said that was weird and might be getting another 2 sets for the front this week.. so i replied .. did i get charged twice?? he said most likely..
i check my account- and BOOM !! my card was charged 24 times!! for the whole set, for fronts, for rears., for shipping etc.. GRRR..!!
called them and they said once all the carpet is in they will fix the error..
and what did i get today? i got the front carpet on juy29.. over a month.. and to add salt on the wound.. WRONG CARPET !! it was a basic cut.. no holes whatsoever.. called them and they said they don't know what happened.. AGAIN.. i explained the whole ordeal and she said will note the wrong items and that i ordered it twice!!! i was like NO ! i do not approve of that note since why would i need 2 exact sets of carpet? and get charged 24 times!!??
and most likely that return shipping may not be covered because it was an online order placed twice.. OMG..!! GRRR..!!
so now she says she can't do anything about it and i have to wait from the returns dept.. which i patiently await..
STAY WITH WHAT COMPANIES WORK.. saving 20 bucks is not worth the time and headache...
jbugs, aircooled worked for me as always which is where I'm staying..
THANKS MAMOTORWORKS.COM for teaching me to NEVER USE you guys again!

will be calling my bank again and the BBB.. !
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Bugpack header and revived an EMPI header Evil or Very Mad . I am in the midst of trying to return the crap that I revived. DO NOT buy from these guys. Go to one of the more previously mentioned reputable VW parts vendors and save your brain and wallet some struggles.
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
I ordered a Bugpack header and revived an EMPI header Evil or Very Mad . I am in the midst of trying to return the crap that I revived. DO NOT buy from these guys. Go to one of the more previously mentioned reputable VW parts vendors and save your brain and wallet some struggles.

FYI, EMPI bought Bugpack not too long ago.

guess another decent product is going down the tubes....
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:

FYI, EMPI bought Bugpack not too long ago.

guess another decent product is going down the tubes....
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid America Motorworks (MAM) - mamotorworks.com Reply with quote

Dammit dammit dammit.... Mad Have to order a buggy carpet kit from these guys tomorrow.... What is it about them on the phone? The guy wasn't rude, but just irritated me and the "looking for an answer to my question" entailed looking at the same web page I was on and reading it to me...

I am curious - are the Vette people the same ones or do they have people that actually know the product? Next time someone bitches about CIP1 or one of the decent vendors, they should call MAM......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fignewton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid America Motorworks (MAM) - mamotorworks.com Reply with quote

This place is a joke..

Purchased the OEM style bus muffler from them in August 2015.

Installed it, drove it a couple times before winter and then parked garaged it until a few days ago.

The muffle is so rusted at the flanges the it needs to be replaced.

Called them and they said, and I quote, " No where did we say it was going to be OEM quality, that is typical rust for any replacement muffler"..

SMH.. STAY AWAY..
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid America Motorworks (MAM) - mamotorworks.com Reply with quote

"Hi - I placed an order for a carpet kit. I logged into my account on the website, but dont see any record of it. Is there any way to see if it has been shipped or is in process?"

"They take up to 15 working days."

"So there is no way to check the status then?"

"No, they take 15 days to make them."

Since I was obviously being a bother I didnt want to ask why the website say 7 to 14 days.. Oh well, it gets here when it gets here. FYI - There aint many options for a kit for a Manx clone....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mid America Motorworks (MAM) - mamotorworks.com Reply with quote

Do they still sell VW parts? No listings on their web site.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: