Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument cluster with LEDs??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY wrote:
Must be a model year thing. Question I have a 1990.

Yup, my old 87 syncro weekender had the flourescent, my 87 full westy has the festoon bulbs. Switchover must have happened about then.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have not read this entire thread for a while, but I don't think anyone ever talked about running/brake/reverse LEDs. For the price, it seems a little silly to bother with anything that flashes, because there is pretty much no gain except coolness. But what about tail lamp running lights, and the open socket (which I think is also a running light)? h
Has anyone replaced those? I was looking at the 1156/1157 Choices:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the spider for the running light(s), and anything that would not reflect the side LEDs forward. It might be a bit of a bugger to install since it looks to big to fit through the plastic in the back.

Regarding my recent package arrival:
I think it has already been covered, but let me add some clarity with my findings from my install last night:

- Rear side runners: 2 | BA9s-xHP6-12V 6 High Power LED Bulb | $ 4.95 | Red BA9s-RHP6 - These are every bit as bright as the original bulb. Because the light is red, you get a richer color. Very pleased and well worth it. No need to go brighter (if you even can?!)

- Cluster lights - 4 | B8-HP series Instrument LED bulb | $ 2.59 | Blue B8.3D-BHP - I used these for my speedo, tach, dummies and 4x4 light. In the dash, they are less bright, but I found at night time they are still plenty bright. I get lots of oohs and aahs. I tried a red on the dummies as well and it is also great. Lots of fun with the clock - will likely stick with blue. Red was funny though, because, clocks scare me...

- Festoon - 2 | 4210 High Power LED Festoon bulb | $ 7.95 | Warm White 4210-WWHP3 - I think the intensity is almost dead on with the original. This light has more white to it. Love the simplicity,

- The rest, the environmental wedge, the locker/decoupler lights are all just fine. No change to note really. It would be nice to be bulb free (mostly) in the tail so I will focus there next. Also, my other car keeps blowing bulbs in the tail running light so I want to try one of these to see if that all comes to a halt.

I took pictures to back up my statements if anyone is intersted. I, like most of you here, am pretty ANALytical about these things. But then again, I just read that something like 85% of Americans don't consider themselves middle class or lower. I think that poll was taken pre 2008 however.

I am not ordering lights for the cab passenger feet, driver/passenger feet, trunk and pop top, as well as a switch at the driver (for front and middle cab), trunk and pop top stations, and a master on/off/on for the driver to make this baby light up at camp. I think the floor lights will be blue, and the trunk/pop top lights will be whichever is best for finding lost sheotttt.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, I have not read this entire thread for a while, but I don't think anyone ever talked about running/brake/reverse LEDs.

Au contraire.

Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161963

I have a lot of fun watching so many of you re-inventing the wheel. What the hey, I had to find things out for myself, too.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

I have a lot of fun watching so many of you re-inventing the wheel. What the hey, I had to find things out for myself, too.

Best!

I took all of my information in purchasing and installing my LEDs from this thread and others, and rather than re-inventing the wheel, I think you will find I have solidified some observations and assumptions that already existed, with updated, specific and accurate info.

MSinabottle, no disrespect, but your info was not contained in this robust 8 page thread, and somehow, "Winston Joins the Illuminati" was missed in my search for LEDs. Shocked The poetics are nice, but creatively I think your thread title was a little progressive for me. I also noticed it was over 4 years old as well. Times have changed my friend!

Anyway, your comments are valuable, but "Winston's World" is not really the search criteria the rest of us are using. As a creative writing major and writer, it pains me to say, I am a little more pragmatic about my searching, sorry man! Thank you for the link and information.

RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: summary of LEDs Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I went through the entire thread to figure out cost and what was needed. LEDs are available from various sources and from what I gathered on this thread was primarily from superbrightleds website. If anyone notices any problems, maybe we can create a better itemized list which includes exterior lights. My preference is blue for some interior lights.

LEDs for the Syncro Vanagon
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&next=50#

Misc Switches. LEDs = Mini-wedge 74w; 4 total – blue
Headlight
Hazard
Foglight
Defroster
Cigarette Lighter
Notes:
Options: 6 or 2 Lumin
Headlight switch has no light behind it. First need to verify opaque face on headlight switch or purchase a new switch from Van-café as per Syncro doka suggestion. Then wire into harness.
The hazard switch has an exterior bulb. Can’t be easy converted to LED.
Price: (4*74-xHP_2.49 ea) = $9.96
Or 1.19 ea 2 lumin = $4.76

Cluster lights. LEDs= B8.3D or B8.3D-xHP; 4 total -Blue
Speedo
Tach
Idiot lights
Clock
Notes:
Direct plug-n-play
High powered light as per Santana or go with B8.3_$1.59 ea
White bulb for Clock is preferred
Price: (4 *B8.3D-xHP_2.59 ea) = $10.36

Courtesy Lights (including kitchen). LEDs = 4210WHP3 Festoon; 4 total – warm white
Driver side (1)
Kitchen area (3)
Notes:
Size 37mm
Soldering maybe needed if doesn’t stay
2 options – 3 or 6
The 3 over the kitchen might be better using the 6- more light over kitchen than over head.
Price: (1 * WHP3_7.95 ea + 3*WHP6_ 14.95 ea) = $52.8

Maplight above glovebox. LEDs = 3022 Festoon; 1 total- warm white
Notes:
3022xHP4 only
Price = $6.95

Heater Controls. LEDs= 74w; 1 total
Notes:
Need $5.00 Gowesty bulb holder 321-919-039- Should paint plastic holder black prior to install
Verify HP vs 2 lumin
Price: 74-xHP_2.49 ea
Or 1.19 ea 2 lumin = $1.19 ea

License Plate. LEDs = BA9s-WHP6 12V; 2 total- Warm White
Notes:
360 degree viewing angle
Price: (2* BA9s-xHP6-12V_4.95ea) = $9.90

Side Marker Lights (rear outside).
LEDs = BA9s-WHP 12V; 2 total- Warm White
Notes:
180 degrees might work best
Verify- only 365 degrees avail?
Price: BA9s-x LED_1.98 ea = $3.95

Syncro Control Panel. LEDs = B8.3D; 3 total. White
Backlight
Rear Locker
Decoupler
Price: 3*B8.3D 1.59ea = $4.77

Frig Light. LEDs = Blue 2600 MCD intensity, T-1-3/4 (5mm) size LED
Model: No model information available | Catalog #: 276-316 $4.49
Notes
Radio Shack online
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102851
Price: $4.49

Last edited by RCWesty on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure awesomeness! Thanks for the great work!!! Just a quick glance so far but I love it!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
OK, I have not read this entire thread for a while, but I don't think anyone ever talked about running/brake/reverse LEDs. For the price, it seems a little silly to bother with anything that flashes, because there is pretty much no gain except coolness. But what about tail lamp running lights, and the open socket (which I think is also a running light)? h
Has anyone replaced those? I was looking at the 1156/1157 Choices:

Hey CV, LED lighting on the exterior positions can be a slippery slope. It's very easy to spend more money than it's truly worth - but if you're a freak like me, then proceed forward.

I love LED lighting and have switched over almost everything to LEDs with the exception of headlights (they have them but the technology is still new), dashlights (I'm a big fan of amber and the amber LEDs are not bright enough IMO), and a back-up light I added to the rear. The thing to consider is whether the bulb will fit in the housing - potentially an issue with the spiders as you've already pointed out, and whether it's casting light properly for the housing designed for a 360 degree bulb.

Having said this, I wouldn't bother with any of the cheaper units designed for brake and running lights - simply not bright enough. I'm sure you're already aware of this, but some readers may not be. The ones you have pictured are ideal, and I think the 360 degree light in the brake light position would be very effective given the Vanagon's taillight design. I've been using the 4 watt Luxeons in this position with the diffuser removed for a wider angle. It is very bright and quite noticeable, but I'd bet the 360 would be brighter given the light being cast in all directions.

I think you're wise to leave turn signals alone. It is fun to have them in there, and they are very bright and noticeable, but keep in mind you'll require an electronic flasher relay to make them work and they're really not saving a whole lot. Besides, this is one area where you must spend some money in order to exceed what a stock or slightly overwattage bulb can achieve at a fraction of the price.

I forget what I'm using for the running lights, perhaps the 4w Luxeons as well. Again, very bright - though they are somewhat directional and likely not as bright as ones that cast light directly at the reflectors. Still better light output than the stock bulbs IMO, though with decreased draw and heat, and greatly increased life.

I also set up the un used space to come on with the brake lights, but it could be set up either way. It's really simple to do, and does provide some additional light. Note however, there is no mirrored reflector in that location and therefore a less expensive and more directional light will be sufficient here. I think I run another Luxeon here and perhaps had to open the hole a bit more to fit the light through. Lights up nicely though.

Lastly, (can you tell I really like playing with lights) consider doing the flasher mod detailed on Daniel Stern's Lighting site to allow the rear side markers to additionally serve as indicator lights. It's a very simple mod that allows them to signal with the running lights either on or off, and works with LEDs in the side marker positions as well. When the running lights off, they signal with the other indicators. When the running lights are on, they signal opposite of the other turn signals. Looks especially cool at night, and helps with visibility for drivers alongside your vehicle.

The flasher mod may cause your rear turn signals to glow a faint orange with the running lights on due to the low power requirements of the LEDs I have in those positions. If you leave the turn signal bulbs incandescent I suspect there won't be enough juice to cause any visible light. There are no ill effects from this. It will simply make the van more visible from the rear with the running lights on, and they still signal brightly when in use.

Here's a shot of the running lights on along with the auxiliary back-up light I added (the real subject of the photo). You can see the slight glow of the turn indicators when not in use. When in reverse with my foot on the brake, every light position on the backend is lit. They better damn well see me coming at that point!

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the time to compile everything into this Vanagon LED Cross-reference PDF document, including listing the original OSRAM information (Sylvania had a few listed incorrectly!).

If anyone has any information and/or photos to add, please do!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC, 1621 and Kamz, great contributions! Way to round out that thread! In a couple of months we will revive with some headlight info I hope! Info is EASILY stickilicious, mainly because the load reduction on the van systems is significant! Anyone want to take some readings of their fully LED-ified vehicle vs a traditional bulb vehicle? I wonder what that impact really is. For me, some party lights and sustained batteries is much awesomeness for my next camping trip (this weekend WOOT!).

mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've now got nearly every interior and exterior bulb in Otto swapped over to LED (save the climate control panel and the automatic shifter boot). Only things I'm missing currently are the instrument panel lights.

What's the trick to getting the OEM lights out of their positions? I've wrangled on them so much that I'm afraid I'm going to break the old plastic. Is there a trick to this that I'm just missing?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the trick to getting the OEM lights out of their positions?

Turn them 90 degrees and they will pull out with a little wiggling.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
What's the trick to getting the OEM lights out of their positions?

Turn them 90 degrees and they will pull out with a little wiggling.

Embarassed

Thanks, got 'em swapped out.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the tail end of converting all lights to LED and ran into a problem. The Hazard Switch. With the stock bulb, when the key is in the on position, the bulb in the hazard switch is slightly lit. If you then turn on the hazards, the bulb becomes fully lit. When I switched this over to an LED, the LED doesn't need as much electricity to belcome fully lit so, is fully let with the key in the on position. This is WAY too bright. I tried putting some black tape on the end of the LED. It's still too bright. I assume others have delt with this, what was your solution? At this point I'm going back to the stock bulb so, I need some ideas.

nod7
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the B8 4D-BHP (blue) in my instrument cluster. With a little muscle, they went in with no problems. The blue works like a black light on the white lettering.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the abundant and valuable information posted over the, for now, eight pages on this thread you can reference almost any LED you need on EBay. There is a zillion, well not quite, of chinese company LEDs for less than a bowl of rice.
EBay > Motors > Parts and Accessories > LED

And I bet that all the other suppliers mentioned get theirs from this side of the World.

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long time, I have checked out this thread, wow, what a great collaboration!

Anyway, one of my 'holy grails' has been a cigarette lighter with a lighted bezel ring, other than the standard green color, either clear or blue.

The Benz G link below is nice, but not at $50.
Finally there is a source on ebay.co.uk that has the blue bezel and 5 pounds.

Vendor name is 'boltonbits', just search for 'Cigar Lighter Socket blue'

saxon9598 wrote:
keithwwalker wrote:
I have been trying to track down this Casco power socket with clear bezel

http://www.cascoglobal.com/de/classic-line/power-steckdosen/catalogue/
for about a year, no luck so far:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=20

I believe that the GoWesty bulb socket mentioned earlier will fit into it with modification. Use with the #74 Led bulbs:
http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

I have looked and looked, but this is elusive. May be best to identify which newer cars have that and order from a dealer instead?

1991VanagonCarat wrote:
Do you know where to get the power socket with a clear bezel? That is exactly what I want to do. I just ordered the gowesty lighter and am not really diggin the amber color. Maybe I could find just the clear bezel? I'll let you know if I find anything.

Maybe this http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/index.php?main_...d83035950e
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in LED lights in the headlight and rear defogger switches today. Syncrodoka did a great write up earlier in this thread about the headlight switch, I didn't do it quite like he did, I did not have the little metal tabs to hold a bulb and I wired it so that the switch would light up when the ign key is turned on (that seemed to make more sense to me).
Pics and description here:
http://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/vanagon-hacking-switches-to-add-led-lights/

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what LED lights are used in VDO style gauges?
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas on the VDO gauges??
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: