Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses their stove
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Who uses their stove Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing from experienced westy campers as to how much cooking they actually do on the gas stoves in their westies. My old air cooled westies had a table that flipped up and extended outside through the sliding door - one put camp stove on it and cooked outside. Worked great - so I'm interested in hearing from people just how useful the gas stove is
Thanks
JC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to cook outdoors so I have a camp stove I store under my seat, along with a portable BBQ. I tried several models to find one that fit across the top of the heater cover and still let the seat close. I can see boiling water inside or similar non-smelling things, but I like to cook outdoors too.
tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cook most everything outside on a Coleman propane stove. The inside stove is used mainly for toast or to boil water for coffee.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We use it all the time, that's what it's there for.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the inside stove. I'll start a pot of stew in the morning, which is how I get my lazy butt teenage son to stir out of bed. I'd cook outside, but on cold mornings, it makes sense to stay indoors until it warms up.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

We use it all the time, that's what it's there for.

Now that I'm in Texas and in Mightyart's backyard, I'm going camping with his family!

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook both indoors and outdoors. The Westy stove is generally used for morning coffee (and if I fill the coffee pot the night before I can start it a-boilin' without getting out of the sack).

I'll cook meals inside if it's a quick and simple task or if I'm in a hurry or not setting up camp.

But if it's a multi-day campsite, I generally cook outside on a Coleman or the small butane stove I carry under the seat. I love to cook and large messy meals are best accomplished with multiple burners and lots of space. But I love having the stove inside, too.

As an aside, many years ago I was winter camping in S. Utah in my '67 splitty. It was well below freezing outside so I stayed inside to cook and made the mistake of boiling a pot of spaghetti water. I filled the interior of the bus with steam, which turned into condensed steam that rained on me in my sleeping bag until such time that it all froze and commenced snowing inside the van.

Don't do this.
backcountrymedic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the inside stove quite a little bit. But I also like to cook outside. Every time I go camping, I always bring along my Coleman 2 burner stove, as well as my BBQ. I fancy myself to be quite the chef, and tend to eat really well while on the road. I do try to avoid cooking anything really greasy or smelly on the stove inside.

Cheers!
-Jared

Sector 9 longboard
Kona Kikapu Deluxe MTB
Novarra Big Buzz
Electra Cruiser
'01 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backcountrymedic wrote:
I use the inside stove quite a little bit. But I also like to cook outside. Every time I go camping, I always bring along my Coleman 2 burner stove, as well as my BBQ. I fancy myself to be quite the chef, and tend to eat really well while on the road. I do try to avoid cooking anything really greasy or smelly on the stove inside.

Cheers!
-Jared

Ditto for me.
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use ours , but we also have the coleman 2 burner stove & grill. We like to have options on what we eat.

I would say we mainly use the stove for coffee in the morning.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use both the Westy stove and a Century 2-burner. All depends on how many days and how many people are with us. Though I have to say that the Century is a great stove ... can really do the job at 12K BTU per burner. I usually bring a large propane tank and hook up with our 30" tri-outlet post ... screw in my lantern on top and connect the stove to one of the 2 side hook-ups. Mount the post to your picnic or cooking table and you're in business.

Here's a link if you're curious ... you can definitely get one one for less than what this site (Amazon) has it listed for. Plus given the one review, it seems this brand/model stinks. The one I have works great and there is no pressure drop-off whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2FD8?smid=A3JP1DNK62GHI9&tag=dealtime-sg-ret-20&linkCode=asn
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm on the road I use the stove all the time for every meal, I love my stove! I also use the fridge and the sink (mostly for hand washing)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... many years ago I was winter camping in S. Utah in my '67 splitty. It was well below freezing outside so I stayed inside to cook and made the mistake of boiling a pot of spaghetti water. I filled the interior of the bus with steam, which turned into condensed steam that rained on me in my sleeping bag until such time that it all froze and commenced snowing inside the van.
Don't do this

That's the most 'laugh out loud' funny thing I've read in the forum in a dog's age...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alway use the indoor stove for coffee and hot breakfasts. Dinner is usually cooked outside on my Magma BBQ(I love to BBQ!!!) and/or on the fire.

Here is one of my favorite camping dinners, short ribs!

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beagling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhino,

Which model Magma is that ? That is a cool setup. Also what model is the clip that attaches it to the side of the van?
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagling wrote:
Rhino,

Which model Magma is that ? That is a cool setup. Also what model is the clip that attaches it to the side of the van?

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/Gas_005/gas_005.html
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Produ...5_240.html
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the stove in my Westy all the time. Once in a while I will build a fire and put foldable grate over it and cook dinner outside, but most things get cooked inside since it is usually butt-cold out there in the mornings and after the sun goes down. I always crack open the sky-light when cooking to let the moiture and smoke out. Never had a problem with cooking smells in the van. Making a pot of coffee on the Westy stove out in the middle of nowhere is one of the great joys in life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tortuga wrote:
We cook most everything outside on a Coleman propane stove. The inside stove is used mainly for toast or to boil water for coffee.

Pretty much same here, We are pretty lucky to have a few VW camper nuts on this coast of FL that like to camp-ALOT so we get together almost monthly and camp/caravan somewhere. This means we do alot of Group meals so most everything is done outside, we grill just about everything anyway.

We do soups, boil water etc.. inside, but no real cooking in there, I'm to dam messy for that!
\
now if you'll excuse me, gotta get ready as we are all going camping/boating this weekend Cool
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
beagling wrote:
Rhino,

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Gas_Barbeque_2/Gas_005/gas_005.html
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Produ...5_240.html

Thanks for posting the links Perales.

***begin edit***
I purchased mine from West Marine. There are a couple of options. One has ceramic brickets for more even distribution of heat and less flare ups. I have the one that converts into a stove. It's nice, but sometimes I think the one with ceramic brickets would have been the better choice.
***end edit***

Beagling, check out this thread as well http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2504950#2504950
It talks about tapping into the "house" propane tank for gas grills. This is one of my many projects next spring. That and doing a Suby engine transplant.

Click to view image

Last edited by Rhinoculips on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beagling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. I have a West Marine in town and will go blow some cash this weekend. javascript:emoticon('Razz')
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: