Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Besco folding trailer behind my bug!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modernbeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got detailed photos of my Besco in an album:

http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv198/aaa-111/sale/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
zenph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scenic City Scooters has tires that will fit these trailers for $40 each. They have 2 in stock right now.

Scenic City Scooters, 2248 Dayton Blvd., Chattanooga, TN 37415
(423) 875-6445

Tell them Zen pointed you to them. Wink

Scenic City Volks Folks -- http://www.volksfolks.org
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
zenph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has one of these trailers that hasn't been folded in years, you might find the pins that lock the wheels down hoplessly stuck. It's an iron pin in aluminum and exposed to the weather . . . after a while, they are practically welded together. Sad

I folded mine in the middle as far as possible so I could get at the end of the pin. I drilled into the center of it and tapped it for (best I can remember) an M6 bolt. I rigged up a piece of an M6 bolt in a slide hammer and several hundred good whacks later had the pins out. I polished the pins and holes using a wire brush, coated the pins with anti-sieze and they work fine now. Cool

Scenic City Volks Folks -- http://www.volksfolks.org
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
cobrajeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Besco Trailer Spare tire Reply with quote

Anyone have an extra rim for one of these? Or a source to buy one? My trailer is in good shape, but I'm hesitant to take it on any long trips without a spare.

regards,

Jeff
leek1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am looking for a spare rim and tire so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Fred
#8bajabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these and it came with a sears cargo car top carrier. I gave $100 for all of it. I have never seen one until today and had no idea what was supposed to be mounted on it. Now to decide whether to pull behind the Goldwing or make money off of it. It is pretty cool.
born2pdl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: replacement rim/tire Reply with quote

These rims/tires look the same as the front rim/tire on a 50cc scooter. Loads of chinese scooters came into the US over the last few years. Most scooter shops have plenty of parts bikes since the scooters don't stay running. You'd need to take one of your wheels in to match it up, but that's a cheap way to find spare wheels with fairly new tires, assembled.

BTW, I picked up a trailer that's missing the removeable hitch piece. If one of you Besco owners would take a couple of measurements, I could fabricate a replacement. I need:
- overall length of hitch/square tube piece
- size of square tube (around 1" by 1" or 1&1/8" by 1&1/8")
- ball size

Thanks.
leek1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Besco Trailer Reply with quote

The measurements are:

Long bar 1 3/16 inches square. 36 1/8 inch long.

Short tube u channel shaped 1 1/2 on top/width and 1 3/4 inch sides.

Receiver 9 inches long and ball size 1 7/8. I purchase an Euro style hitch for my application which is for use on a Meyers Manx dune buggy

This bar also has a latching mechanism and a support brace and studs/protrusions to hold the bar in place

Not sure how to insert images but if you need some I can send you an email if you provide an address.
s irish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Besco folding trailer Reply with quote

I have this trailer, perfect top cover and frame, I believe I have the removable tung and hitch, using car top carrier, need spare tire and rim, need ASAP!, Will trade, sell or buy.

Thanks'
Scott
leek1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I am sure you can find tires and tubes at any place that sells motor scooters and or golf carts. As for the wheel itself that is more of a challenge and I gave up trying to find something that would work and just waited until a cheap Besco trailer came along and purchased it for the spare parts. I didn't care what condition the trailer was in or whether or not it had any or all of the accessories. I just wanted the main part of the trailer for spare parts. It already has served its purpose by giving me a spare wheel and also some other parts that broke on my primary trailer. Between the Samba, Craigslist and Ebay Besco trailers come up on a monthly or so basis.

Fred
s irish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred,
I'll keep looking! I pull this behind my bike, no more long trips untill I find a spare.
flybd5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the original assembly instructions for this trailer? I bought one of these two days ago, brand new in the original box (seller's dad was a hoarder and he passed away). I figured out all the folding and assembly mechanisms, and the cage for the blue carrier bag seems easy enough, but there are four additional aluminium pieces with wing nuts and other hardware and I can't figure out what they do or how to put them together...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just found one of these trailers. I have everything but the canvas, as the seller had thrown it away after it tore. The folding pins are frozen, and it has a little damage and wear, but I am looking forward to making it work.

I too, am curious about seeing some instructions. I have seen some original photos in my searches so far.
flybd5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I also just found one of these trailers. I have everything but the canvas, as the seller had thrown it away after it tore. The folding pins are frozen, and it has a little damage and wear, but I am looking forward to making it work.

I too, am curious about seeing some instructions. I have seen some original photos in my searches so far.

I found the original instruction manual. Five pages in JPG format. Enjoy.

http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_1.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_2.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_3.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_4.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_5.jpg
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flybd5 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I found the original instruction manual. Five pages in JPG format. Enjoy.

http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_1.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_2.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_3.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_4.jpg
http://www.bd5.com/images/Besco_Instructions_5.jpg

Thanks for this! Some of it is impossible to read, but it is still invaluable.
flybd5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Thanks for this! Some of it is impossible to read, but it is still invaluable.

I figured out all of it from those images, including the wiring. If you have any questions, holler.
flybd5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost the left rear light red lens for my Besco trailer (left as seen from the rear, though I think they are interchangeable). Fricking thing fell off. Does anyone have a spare they wouldn't mind parting with for a reasonable price?
flybd5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flybd5 wrote:
I lost the left rear light red lens for my Besco trailer (left as seen from the rear, though I think they are interchangeable). Fricking thing fell off. Does anyone have a spare they wouldn't mind parting with for a reasonable price?

Well, I found the lens. The manufacturer is JOKON in Germany (sound familiar?). The part number is 19.0008.000 and they still carry the lens. The right and left are the same lens, just flip them. The cost is €12.80 and shipping cost is €18.95. You can order by sending your info and VAT number (if applicable in Europe) to kontakt.beuel @ t-online.de. Payment is made by PayPal to the same address.

I think they also have the full taillight assembly if you want to order it but I didn't ask for the p/n. That one is riveted to the frame so the frame would have to be pretty badly mauled for that to need to be replaced. The lens is only attached with a single screw so it's easier to lose.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What connector duse for the lights?
Mine has a round connector. Will I have to swap it out for a flat 4 connector?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flybd5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:
What connector duse for the lights?
Mine has a round connector. Will I have to swap it out for a flat 4 connector?

The round connector is a standard 7-pin European connector. You can wire it to a flat 4 connector but you might need an adapter to get it to work correctly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: