Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW body/rust repair in Wash. DC area
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack8743
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have John Messersmith in Hagerstown he does real good work and decent on labor
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do. Forgot about him.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KarmannVolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Bug & Bunny Clinic Closed Reply with quote

Sadly, I went to check out the Bug & Bunny Clinic this evening, and it's no longer there.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick's in Wye Mills, MD
Metric Autohaus in Millersville, MD

Both shops are great, however for a restoration you want to go with Metric Autohaus I have seen there work and they do a good job. They are probably expensive because they are busy. Isn't that an old contractor's trick? Quote high so you don't have to do the job and then if they agree you pick it up and put the other jobs on hold? Smile

Also I heard Peek Performance in Lanham closed because the rent increased and he was tired of driving to the Lanham area from the MD Eastern Shore. Dick's told me he might still be running his business out of his house in Centreville, MD but I have no way to confirm this one.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookers vws....how come no one mentioned Bob and Gene,these guys build some of the sickest,cleanest dubs this sidee of the Miss.

Tim

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2
I forgot about those guys. They had a feature in Hot VWs a few months back.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob has had at least four that i know of..his features came out right after mine for a bout 2 yrs!!

Ian M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's number of mag features in well in the teens now,starting with VW Trends in the early '90s,Hot Vws,and recently Super VW and Volksworld.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mag features are cars with a different kind of budget in mind too...sometimes our vw crowd isn't willing to go that mile.

most guys want shiney drivers...it's cool that Bob gets the crowd that wants to go the extra mile.

...here in New England,it's the muscle car crowd that goes in that direction.

malan51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t mean to resurrect a old thread but I live in Fairfax, I am always looking for buddies in the area. I just can’t seem to find any, Lol. I am from Northern Virginia but moved away in 2000. I moved back here two years ago from SoCal. I have a 56’ rag top. Let me know if anyone is organizing any get-togethers.

Mack Pence
714-271-3319
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 VW Clubs listed in VA under the Community icon above. You have to get out and attend their meet ups! Twisted Evil

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charlie74Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Fredericksburg Powder Coating (just off 95 in Stafford) Reply with quote

I'm working with Darryl @ Fredericksburg Powder Coating on a redux of my 74.

We're taking the body off this week. So far everything he's done has been well above board if not meticulously wonderful.

We've blasted all the removable parts on the body, he bakes them in his "oven" to remove any residual oils or residues before DP Epoxy 2k Priming every part immediately thereafter.

He's powdercoating my chassis and my stock steel wheels as well. He has done a fantastic job at VERY reasonable prices. He is keen on marine work as well, so I can tell you with certainty that he works to ensure that any form of oxidation is removed, and that there is minimal opportunity for it to return.

I will say one thing - he is a perfectionist. I heard a story that there was nearly a physical altercation over the placement of a headlight bezel on a nearly finished car in his shop. The guy does things right, takes his time, and does an excellent job. That said - with that sort of work - don't expect it to be done yesterday. While I'm not having him do my paint - I am having a friend down the road do it - I've seen this guy's work and it's beyond fantastic. And the best part? He actually speaks English.

He's just off I-95 near the rt 17 underpass at exit 133 or so - the Falmouth exit. I'll tell you Fburg Powder Coating is a hidden gem - and the guy could definitely fill the powdercoating oven with an entire beetle (or two).

If you want to see for yourself his work, some of it's hanging in the building on a rack right now. And across the street are a Triumph or two he's put a killer British Racing Green paint / body job on. The before / after pics are incredible.

I am a fairly prolific writer so forgive me in advance for my verbiage - but I just wanted to say that if you're not averse to travelling 45 minutes down 95 then Darryl does a great job.
Jokerbunny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad I found this thread, since my wife and i are moving to NOVA in Sept.
brownnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to resurrect this old thread as I just moved back to the NOVA area (Alexandria) and will need to find some ACVW businesses/people that know what they are doing (non-stock engine work, brake, interior, etc).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread. I'm getting the engine work done on my Ghia at Lyon's in Dumfries. My buddy has a Westy that he has been taking there for years and according to him they are reasonably priced and do good work.
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Annandale and drove a Rabbit when in high school in the mid-80s. I had no idea how to fix it at the time and my father would take it to Paul's VW. After college I moved further out towards Leesburg and don't find myself near Annandale too often, but I was passing by this past weekend. I decided to see if Paul's is still there--it is! Still called Paul's VW, now owned by Don, who was just on his way out (this was like 2 or 3 hours after their official closing time on Sat). He had a nice variety of Beetles and Bus' in and around the shop.

Don came out to meet me and we talked a while about aircooled cars and my project car. Very nice guy! As far as I can tell it's one of the last shops anywhere in the DC area that still service old VWs. (I heard of Monks in Lorton and dropped by their address on the same trip up 95, but that shop seems to be gone now)

Anyway, I'd like to recommend Don at Paul's VW in Annandale. Please support his business and keep him around. I generally like to do my own work, but for anything I can't or don't want to do I'll be going to Don.

http://paulsautoservicerepair.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For God's sake, whatever you do stay away from Monks'!

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For God's sake, whatever you do stay away from Monks'!

Well, like I said, I think they must be out of business? I drove to the address listed on the website (7903 Hill Park Ct, Lorton) and there was no such ... wait a sec. The top of http://monksvivolks.weebly.com/index.html says 7903, but further down the same page it says 7906! Nice going, lol. Must have moved the business down the street?
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a good place to get custom work done. I'm going to need some body work done and I want to get my Ghia raised back to it's stock level. Any ideas?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.401restos.com/Pages/default.aspx
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: