Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lets talk about RC cars
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

l'm thinking it might be time to see if my soon to be 10 year old son is interested.
l don't want to break the bank, and l don't want something that'll fall apart at the first corner.
sand and rock use, for sure not something that'll do 100mph.

what do you guys have, what do you recommend.
what to stay away from.

619 201 0310
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

I have a 2010 Tamiya Sand Scorcher. It's a re-release of the classic late 70s model.
Pros: Looks awesome! Fun to drive! Real scale model down to the suspension! Interesting to build, while learning old-school model techniques!
Cons: Kind of fragile. Hard to find a good battery. Performance not as good as current RCs, and it's not as easy to drive.
Might be a bit much for a 10-year-old but you could get something like a Grasshopper or Hornet re-re and they are much simpler.
PS: I had this model at Syncro Solstice in 2012. You may have seen me driving it around the camp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

nope, l remember you there, but l don't remember you driving that around.
you rode with Bill Langham, in his green syncro, l remember him breaking a front CV joint pulling that syncro westy out of the devils hole or what ever it was called, by the time we caught up, he had got the axle off, so he could drive back to camp.
since he did that, the 3 times l've been back, l've always made sure to have front outer and regular CV joints in lucy, just in case.
what's the voltage on the batteries.

l quit faceache, but when l was in milwaukee groups, l saw people using other different batteries in RC cars etc.

619 201 0310
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

Cool Bug!

I bought my son a couple department store RC cars. Don't do that! Junk! Go to a real RC store and get a good used mid range car. Parts are common and available. Often times guys upgrade to fancy stuff, put the older well sorted out one on consignment and they can have excellent starting point value.

That is what I should have done. The Boy lost interest in broken junk that there was no parts for.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
nope, l remember you there, but l don't remember you driving that around.
you rode with Bill Langham, in his green syncro, l remember him breaking a front CV joint pulling that syncro westy out of the devils hole or what ever it was called, by the time we caught up, he had got the axle off, so he could drive back to camp.
since he did that, the 3 times l've been back, l've always made sure to have front outer and regular CV joints in lucy, just in case.
what's the voltage on the batteries.

l quit faceache, but when l was in milwaukee groups, l saw people using other different batteries in RC cars etc.

Good times!
There's all kinds of batteries now...LiPo, Li-ion, NiMh etc. I had a classic 7.2V humback NiCad but the connections kept breaking to the cell on the hump. I tried a 7.2V flatpack but at only 1500 mah it doesn't last long. Still looking for a better flatpack that will fit!

Link

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

I've been off and on with RC cars for 30 years. Hands down TRAXXAS is the best to start with. They are really tough if you do bust them they are ez to fix and parts are cheap every RC shop sells them and carries parts Plus they are USA based in Texas.

The new rage is Lipo battery's and brushless motors its way overkill and unnecessary for a beginner. Old school brushed motors and NiMh battery packs are tough can be recharged a zillion times wont catch fire and price is very affordable.

These are all great come with battery, charger and remote control
Ready to run 35MPH is plenty fast!

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/24054-8-bandit

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58034-8-slash?t=overview

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/37054-8-rustler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

i started following this person on instagram and now i want some
https://www.instagram.com/p/C4LWlpAMHCY/
https://www.instagram.com/p/C4A-7yVru0X/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: lets talk about RC cars Reply with quote

The best bet is probably a Traxxis Slash, 2WD brushed system, fantastic truck, easy to fix, bash and race and the price is right.

A couple 4000 mah lipos would be sufficient for about 30 to 45 minutes of driving, I still have my Zippy lipos, but you can a variety of them from A-Main Hobbies.

Slash race at my home track:

Collection of RC's:

Cox buggy with a Tamiya Grasshopper chassis:

HPI Baja 5b:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: