Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well...they are aircooled....
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

So after retiring from building old Dune buggies (4 including a real Manx and a Deserter) and several vintage kit cars (Kelmark, Bradley GT & GTII, Sterling. Manta Mirage, Speedster & Avenger) I was enjoying my time away from rust and fiberglass dust.

But I started to get the itch again. My cars are newer and reliable so other than routine maintenance they don't need anything. I really don't want to get into the buggies again because they are a lot of work (I did everything including the body and paint). So I saw these little toys for sale locally for dirt cheap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The trike is a Alsport from the 1970's I assume. It came with 3 different motors. Its in real nice shape overall with just minimal rust (I am in the northeast so I know rust!). I've got 3 motors to choose from and might so some custom glass work.

The minibike is really nothing fancy. Disassemble it, paint it, reupholster it and its done.

Just something an old man can keep himself busy with
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Those look like a fun project. I've kinda had the itch to get an old Taco mini bike and hot rod it. I'm not sure what I would do with it after that, but it would be fun.

I see HF Predator in the background. FYI, you can mod the heck out of those, big cam, heavy springs, billet rod, rockers, slide carb etc, etc. I believe there's similar goodies for the old flathead motors too, but I think they are getting more rare and pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Blew the trike apart yesterday. It was kinda nice being able to tear something down in a couple of hours. Despite being neglected for so long things were in pretty good shape.

I will be stripping it down to bare metal. prime with epoxy I have, then probably go silver on the chassis, black on some suspension components and then a real bright color on the fiberglass part. I will also do some black upholstery.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

my 4 wheeler is air cooled, my dirt bike is air cooled, my lawn mower is air cooled..even my electrick riding mower is air cooled. wtf even I am air cooled!!!hell my wofes honda eklemt is air cooled.....the air removed some of the heat from the radiator... as does my new roadster. witch is also kool.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Have finished all the welding I had to do. I added some 1" square stock near the dual drum brakes to give the braking band some additional stability.

Also added a brace on the support for the fiberglass and cut off the simple angle iron support for the fenders and used some 1/4" flat stock and some 3/4" round tube to make a much nicer brace.

Still trying to figure out how to run the brake lines and throttle cable to the back without using zip ties. I am thinking maybe some steel brake line tube welded to the main tube to run the cables to the back?

Got my resin too so I will be adding a few layers of fiberglass to the underside of the seat and then do the needed repairs on the top.

Also ordered the brake handles and throttle kit
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Pint done.

Just need to upholster the seat and finish assembly

Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

I dig it. Very nice work. Projects like these are great, since they are do-able without a gigantic time and money investment.

Just curious, is that 1-wheel drive, straight axle, or does it have a diff of some sort?

If it's a straight axle, I think the only way to get it to turn well, will be to lean to the outside, get the weight off the inside wheel, and let it spin...kart technique.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

It has a rear differential with dual rear brakes. I was told you use them to make it turn better
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

This one is air cooled too!

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Well its just about done. Ordered the wrong clutch/chain combo so that's coming this week. Also was just ONE ss button head screw short so I had to order some.

Now onto this little guy...

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Listed it for sale and actually had a guy offer me a hang glider in trae?

Huh?

I told him it, or my wife, would kill me.
p0rschenut69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Maybe try it off a cliff lol
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Well sold the trike....and its a great story.

A guy from Long Island bought it. Apparently his father owned a lawn mower repair business in the 1970s and sold Alsport trikes. The guy said he was too young to drive them but his older brothers were allowed to.

He was reminiscing with them the other day and, on a whim, decided to look to see if there were any around. He found mine on EBAY and we struck a deal.

I guess he just wanted to experience a part of his youth that he was unable to do at the time.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Well sold the trike....and its a great story.

A guy from Long Island bought it. Apparently his father owned a lawn mower repair business in the 1970s and sold Alsport trikes. The guy said he was too young to drive them but his older brothers were allowed to.

He was reminiscing with them the other day and, on a whim, decided to look to see if there were any around. He found mine on EBAY and we struck a deal.

I guess he just wanted to experience a part of his youth that he was unable to do at the time.
that's very cool, especially to "relive" that experience with a restored model.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Just about finished with the mini-bike I purchased.

All the body work done, in high build, and should maybe be shooting the fenders and tank this weekend. Then need to paint the frame and all the little add ons. Weather is finally warming up so its a good time to finish up.

Speaking on finishing up.....a local seller was selling two of these little old school minibikes (pit bikes as some call them) for $400. Offered him $300 for the pair and I picked them up yesterday. Looks like I am back to sanding and painting again!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Finally starting the assembly phase. Damn pandemic makes getting some parts a very long process. EBAY sellers seem to be real quick. Amazon is weeks now.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Finally finished the Harley styled minibike (A Baja 165 apparently) and looks like I have 3 interested parties. Fun little project.

Also moved onto the 2nd of 3 that I have acquired. I think they call it a Doodlebug. Its much smaller than the Baja but has the same engine in it so it will certainly move out.

This one is painted acid rain metallic.

Third one will be a sky blue metallic.

Gotta keep busy during these weird times...

Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

what size prop does that swing?
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Well that one didn't last long. Sold it for full price yesterday.

Damn...I was hoping to hold onto all 3 of them for a while.

Gold one should be ready this weekend.

Third one gets pulled in tonight I guess.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Well...they are aircooled.... Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
oprn wrote:

what size prop does that swing?

14 x 10 to 18 x 6 depending on airframe application.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: